try John Micheal-Liles at centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunga

Nov 14, 2013
We are running out of centres, (assuming kadri is suspended) and skill at forward to a degree, given the lack of scoring recently. JML has speed, skill - maybe not the best defensive player, but since he's on the roster and we can't seem to trade him, why not try it in this situation. If it works it could allow JVR to go back to wing - I don't think it is working with him at centre. And there are no Marlie players of note to bring up. Unless we bring up Brennan and play Gardiner at centre.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Post of the year.
I wouldn't be opposed to it for the sake of giggles.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
We have no centers so might as well do something stupid :laugh:.

We're clearly going to have to do something stupid with Kadri likely out for a few games via suspension.

Or could just send Liles back down and call up any center the Marlies still have...

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
In football they do this stuff all the time. Lineman/linebackers will swap sides. Wideouts get converted to DB's, running backs get converted to linebackers.

It is more a job of matching an athlete to a position. I don't know why they make such a big deal out of this in hockey.

I would have Brennan on the wing on the Marlies and one of our offensive D taking the odd 3rd / fourth line shift especially if we are running 7 D.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe we should get Nonis out of retirement to play at centre.

No, I got a better idea. Let's get Borje Salming out of retirement to partner with Dion.

Let's get Dougy to coach, because he was such a good player automatically means he's a great coach.

Let's get Rob Ford to be the athletic trainer, because anyone who get drink and do satan knows how many drugs and still retain a public office has clearly got lessons in endurance that can be passed onto the team.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Don't know why people are laughing at this that much. People laugh when Buff or Burns became forwards? Granted Liles isn't the same type of animal as those 2, but it's not entirely laughable.

Will it happen? No, but surprised at THAT big of a comedic reaction at the idea.

Keep posting man, happy first post!

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
We are running out of centres, (assuming kadri is suspended) and skill at forward to a degree, given the lack of scoring recently. JML has speed, skill - maybe not the best defensive player, but since he's on the roster and we can't seem to trade him, why not try it in this situation. If it works it could allow JVR to go back to wing - I don't think it is working with him at centre. And there are no Marlie players of note to bring up. Unless we bring up Brennan and play Gardiner at centre.

Sure im game cant be any worse then smith right

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
A lot of Liles' offensive skills have to do with the fact that he is a defenseman (breakout passes, shooting, etc)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Don't know why people are laughing at this that much. People laugh when Buff or Burns became forwards? Granted Liles isn't the same type of animal as those 2, but it's not entirely laughable.

Will it happen? No, but surprised at THAT big of a comedic reaction at the idea.

Keep posting man, happy first post!
He wants to put a small guy in one of the most important positions in hockey without ever playing there before. Playing on the wing is much different than down the middle.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

How could anyone in their right mind think that JML could possible make a better centre than say even our 4th line C in the AHL?

Literally every player that has taken a single draw for the Marlies this year would be a better option than JML.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Seriously, putting Liles on centre looks nothing short of hilarious on every line imaginable.

JVR - Liles - Kessel
Lupul - Liles- Kulemin
Raymond - Liles - Clarkson
Orr- Liles - McClement

dunga

Nov 14, 2013
Response to this is quite amusing. What reaction to replacing kadri for a game or two (whatever is he suspended for) with someone who can skate and pass. I really don't care for having Ashton or Bodie on the lineup. So where is another forward coming from? Lupul offered to play center, put Liles on the wing then. Basically, we are running out of forwards and he is sitting in the press box.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I like the effort and I wont belittle you at all. Certainly not as much as the lynch mob on this board will.

I think Gardiner should give a go at centre personally. He played forward his whole life growing up and a little bit in college. It certainly wouldnt be foreign to him. Liles can play D.

contour

Mar 31, 2011
Please. Liles is only ever appropriate to play goalie, with no equipment.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
If cap restricted us that badly, play gardiner on wing because he has had past experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad