News Article: Troy Bodie tells father-in-law Tim Leiweke not to make decision on his hockey career

jughead42*

Personally I don't really care if this guy gets a job in the organization because of his father in law or not. Family should stick together, I'm sure the kid doesn't want the old man's interference but it's his son in law, he's going to give him an opportunity. Ultimately it will fall on the players shoulders to be worthy of a roster spot when all is said and done, if he earns it good on him. If he doesn't, if he ends up with the Marlies because others in the organization are better, then why should we really care? Everybody thought it was so awesome when New Jersey selected Brodeur's kid at the draft even though he's miles from being as good as others who were passed over at the position. Sometimes your name gives you opportunities, but both Brodeur and Bodie are only ever going to play in the NHL if they are good enough players to do it. If that happens, it will be on them and not their fathers for making it happen, an opportunity is only worth anything if you make something out of it. Good luck to the kid.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Personally I don't really care if this guy gets a job in the organization because of his father in law or not. Family should stick together, I'm sure the kid doesn't want the old man's interference but it's his son in law, he's going to give him an opportunity. Ultimately it will fall on the players shoulders to be worthy of a roster spot when all is said and done, if he earns it good on him. If he doesn't, if he ends up with the Marlies because others in the organization are better, then why should we really care? Everybody thought it was so awesome when New Jersey selected Brodeur's kid at the draft even though he's miles from being as good as others who were passed over at the position. Sometimes your name gives you opportunities, but both Brodeur and Bodie are only ever going to play in the NHL if they are good enough players to do it. If that happens, it will be on them and not their fathers for making it happen, an opportunity is only worth anything if you make something out of it. Good luck to the kid.
bang on !!! the hunter brothers do it in lomdon .......evrery verbeek kids gets a chance ,warren rychel spent most of his time as a fathering mentoring and indeed trading for his son to ensure proper nuturing ,,,,,,,,lots of kids just need a chance ,and for the most part work their nuts off when given it
good post

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
I dont see how anyone can think ol' Tim didnt have a hand in the clear nepotism of Bodie's signing.

Why? He just said so himself that he had asked his father in law not to interfere. Is there anything to suggests otherwise? I don't know if he will ever be a full time NHLer but he has made his own way on his skill set; furthermore, Carlyle praised his character, to me, that doesn't sound like someone who is there by nepotism. On the other hand my dad got me a job working at his plant in the summer when I was in high school and that didn't make or break me.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

.....and the kid who doesn't get a chance to "earn" it simply because of nepotism? That's kind of the whole rub of nepotism.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Why? He just said so himself that he had asked his father in law not to interfere. Is there anything to suggests otherwise? I don't know if he will ever be a full time NHLer but he has made his own way on his skill set; furthermore, Carlyle praised his character, to me, that doesn't sound like someone who is there by nepotism. On the other hand my dad got me a job working at his plant in the summer when I was in high school and that didn't make or break me.

There's nothing to suggest he didn't. All there is is "I asked him not to".

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
There's nothing to suggest he didn't. All there is is "I asked him not to".

Yeah, that is kinda the point. He shouldn't have to prove that he is not there because of his father in law. We should give him the benefit of the doubt. I no as much as you about the reality of the situation, but the original quote was about the obviousness of there being nepotism

Leafsin2014*

I do. This is a business and the team is about winning, not playing favourites because of family ties. If he makes the team because of his family, someone else doesn't. The best players should make it, end of story.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I do. This is a business and the team is about winning, not playing favourites because of family ties. If he makes the team because of his family, someone else doesn't. The best players should make it, end of story.

You're assuming that the family ties preclude him from actually being the best player available.

He's being sought after for his meat hooks and steady, reliable play. It's not a position in the "Game Changer" category. He's not getting slotted in at LW alongside Bozak and Kessel.

Carlyle has a lot of experience with him too. More than 50% of the NHL games that Bodie has played were played with Randy Carlyle.

The way in which nepotism would matter here would be if he was signed to a contract far beyond what he should be paid, or if he was given ice-time unbefitting a 4th line grinder type.

If he's consistently under 5:00M/G, then he's not under the nepotism microscope.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

I never ever defend jughead, as his posts are normally horrible, but at no point did he say the best player shouldn't be on the team, merely that if Brodie earns a spot he should get it and not be told it is only because of his father-in-law.

The sad truth is in this world it is who you know that gets you a shot, there are way to many people who are great at what they do and without a connection you might never get noticed. It won't get you the job, but will give you the chance to make it.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Objectively I think it's obvious that Troy Bodie would be considered the better looking of the pairing. Francesca Lieweke is the modestly attractive daughter from a powerful family. There's a certain awkward quality to her.

Speaking of nepotism, AEG has employed her for the past 5 years before she recently moved to Toronto.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Leiweke on why the old photo's are still up on the walls...

“I talked to Johnny (Bower). He said he was going to kick my butt,” Leiweke said of the 88-year-old hall of fame goaltender. “Then I looked at him and realized he probably can. But we had a good conversation. . . . (The photos) are up for now.”

He has a pretty good sense of humour, self depricating in some ways. He seems to realize when he has made a mistake, and doesn't try to sugar coat it.

Nonis said he approached Bodie, so unless he was brown nosing, I see no foul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad