News Article: Troy Bodie tells father-in-law Tim Leiweke not to make decision on his hockey career

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...ible-not-make-decisions-on-his-hockey-career/

bodie.jpg

In the seven years since he graduated from junior hockey, Troy Bodie (L) has appeared in uniform for 11 different teams, in three different leagues.

In August, Bodie married a woman he met while playing in Southern California. She is a Stanford University graduate who was, until recently, an executive with an entertainment company with global reach. Francesa Leiweke, his wife, is also his new boss’s daughter.

And not just his boss. Tim Leiweke, president and chief executive at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, is the highest-ranking executive in the organization. Leiweke’s hiring was announced in April, and Leafs general manager Dave Nonis signed Bodie as a free agent in July.

“It is very unique,†Bodie said. “I’ve always told Tim, with his connection to hockey, never to make any decisions for me. The way I was told was that Dave Nonis went to him in order to sign me.â€

He smiled: “I’ve been very clear with him … in the nicest way possible.â€

Bodie and Francesca Leiweke mark their one-month anniversary on Tuesday. On Sunday Bodie tried to make a mark with the hockey team, scoring once in Toronto’s pre-season opener, re-directing a pass from behind the net in an win over Philadelphia.

His reward appeared to be another chance. Bodie skated with other hopefuls at the Air Canada Centre on Monday morning, with the understanding he would be in the lineup in a re-match with the Flyers that night.

“He’s a big guy who has come in and made himself known on the ice and in scrimmages,†Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said. “He’s not a flashy guy. I would say he’s an up-and-down winger who can take the body. A good teammate. He’s a no-maintenance guy.â€

Carlyle went so far as to suggest Bodie was a âœmodel†for younger players to follow.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
It's good that he has made an effort to be clear about this. Those who advance through nepotism are never respected for their abilities.

Ace88*

I dont see how anyone can think ol' Tim didnt have a hand in the clear nepotism of Bodie's signing.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
To his credit, Bodie has actually looked decent in training camp and played alright last night. Still wouldn't take him on the team but at least he's trying hard :dunno:

wulfio*

Congrats to Brodie, he married rich & powerful, and she isn't horrible looking.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
With many similar players young and old, Troy Bodie was the last type of player that the Leafs needed on either their NHL roster or AHL roster. You just can't admit out loud that you made a nepotistic hiring. This won't be as big of a deal as when Bodie gets his first front office job in the NHL after retirement.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
BC gone, TFC geek gone, Nonis kept on. Nonis gave the son in law a shot.

Nonis is not a stupid man

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Probably a character guy RC liked from Anaheim. I wouldn't jump to nepotism so quick, though maybe Nonis asked TL if it'd be alright. A lot of coaches bring over a minor league player or two from their former team they thought had potential, a good attitude, or whatever. Plus, it's not exactly unheard of for RC to like of Bodie's ilk.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Oh it's not nepotism it's just a coincidence afterall how many guys like Bodie are there out there?

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
He seems like a Carlisle type of player, so I wasn't really surprised when they signed him. I didn't even realize he was Leiwike's son-in-law until a while after. He should be a good fit for the Marlies no matter whose decision it was to sign him.

Mr Scarface*

Didn't know much about Bodie myself. A pretty good read, thank you for uploading this here. See you.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
He has played pretty well so far. No reason to think Leiweke is the only factor here. I don't think RC is the type of guy that will stand for that ****.

He should get an NHL contract with some team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad