Rumor: Trouba wants to stay with the Jets. Myers may be available

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Well it’s good that with my roster the Jets have 4m+ for bonuses assuming an 82m cap

Keeping our D intact is more important than overpaying for a great 4th liner like Lowry. I guess we’ll see whose right. If you think Chevy will downgrade this team when they are legitimate Stanley Contenders because he’s scared of the potential for bonuses we will never see eye to eye. Chevy isn’t that foolish. He knows the point of the season is to win the Stanley Cup, not keeping talented 4th liners for more than they’re worth

Reactions: north49er

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Well it’s good that with my roster the Jets have 4m+ for bonuses assuming an 82m cap

Keeping our D intact is more important than overpaying for a great 4th liner like Lowry. I guess we’ll see whose right. If you think Chevy will downgrade this team when they are legitimate Stanley Contenders because he’s scared of the potential for bonuses we will never see eye to eye. Chevy isn’t that foolish. He knows the point of the season is to win the Stanley Cup, not keeping talented 4th liners for more than they’re worth

I think I've found the problem. 3.5 isn't overpaying for Lowry. He's only a 4th liner on an elite team making a run to the cup.

You're also ignoring trades and injury creep (my term). The jets salary cap grew 2.2 million in season due to these. I would expect Chevy and co to definitely pay attention to all of this and to start the season at no more than 6 under the cap. Or they will make in season moves.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Not sure about this if you are dismissing Lowry as a 4th line player I would in turn dismiss Myers as bottom pairing D man going into the last year of his contract.

Reactions: allan5oh

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Not sure about this if you are dismissing Lowry as a 4th line player I would in turn dismiss Myers as bottom pairing D man going into the last year of his contract.
I’m not dismissing Lowry at all, he is what he is, an elite 4th liner or a passable 3rd liner, which there is nothing wrong with. In other words he’s player that is replaceable if they ask for too much money

I think I've found the problem. 3.5 isn't overpaying for Lowry. He's only a 4th liner on an elite team making a run to the cup.

You're also ignoring trades and injury creep (my term). The jets salary cap grew 2.2 million in season due to these. I would expect Chevy and co to definitely pay attention to all of this and to start the season at no more than 6 under the cap. Or they will make in season moves.
You do know that teams can go over the cap if they suffer injuries right? The Jets could have gained capspace by putting Mason or Perreault on LTIR if they needed the capspace this season

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm well aware of LTIR. You are aware that a team ending the season on LTIR any and all bonuses are a bonus overage? Could be a 4 million penalty the next season when Connor Wheeler and Laine get raises. How about no?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
It wouldn’t be a 4m overage cause the Jets would have spare cap space for bonuses. Seems shortsighted to me to downgrade the team when they have legitimate Stanley Cup aspirations cause you’re scared you might maybe have some players hit bonuses the next year

If that was the scenario they could also move money out at the deadline to manage any overages. If they can hustle Chiarelli or some other team for a great Myers deal sure, they might do so. They won’t downgrade in the summer just cause they are scared of what might potentially be a cap crunch a year later. They have a 2 year window before Laine and Wheeler get paid, I expect Chevy to do everything he can to bring a cup to Winnipeg in that time. I know a lot of fans would rather manage the cap and keep adding prospects, but I personally would prefer a Cup celebration

Reactions: Flair Hay

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
@allan5oh avatar bet? If they Jets start the season with over 5m in capspace you can pick my avatar for 6 months, if they have less than that I get to choose yours? Gives some leeway on your ‘6m under’ prediction

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I have liked very much Trouba’s style of play. Didn’t like so much what was going on with last negotiations.
Would trade him, because of that, even though I want Jets to succeed.
Trade Trouba and Armia for... Määttä and ....?
It would take a pretty good + along wit Maatta to get Trouba & you want to throw in Armia?
Dang that's bad for the Jets!

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
It wouldn’t be a 4m overage cause the Jets would have spare cap space for bonuses. Seems shortsighted to me to downgrade the team when they have legitimate Stanley Cup aspirations cause you’re scared you might maybe have some players hit bonuses the next year

If that was the scenario they could also move money out at the deadline to manage any overages. If they can hustle Chiarelli or some other team for a great Myers deal sure, they might do so. They won’t downgrade in the summer just cause they are scared of what might potentially be a cap crunch a year later. They have a 2 year window before Laine and Wheeler get paid, I expect Chevy to do everything he can to bring a cup to Winnipeg in that time. I know a lot of fans would rather manage the cap and keep adding prospects, but I personally would prefer a Cup celebration

LTIR dissolves any built up cap space. It also prevents any cap space from being banked.

It's not just bonuses that's the issue either. Its bonuses combined with Laine coming off a bonus laden ELC to a monster contract.

Yes Chevy can start the season right at the cap and use LTIR with injuries. But by the end of the season there won't be enough cap space to pay bonuses and there will be a huge penalty.

They've shown to be somewhat conservative with the salary cap. Chevy even said last summer they're a cap team even though they started the season over 7 million below the limit. He's right they ended the season 400k under the cap. I expect next season to be no different.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Looked it up and saw that.

I'm not commenting on the guy, but let's put it this way; there are very few sources whose rumours can be taken at anything close to face value nowadays.
Looked it up and saw that.

I'm not commenting on the guy, but let's put it this way; there are very few sources whose rumours can be taken at anything close to face value nowadays.
Toth has credible sources and has been accurate in the past. I do not doubt this at all.

A couple months back you questioned some potential ( some would say obvious ) moves the Jets could make to manage the cap and add players to improve the team overall, you've changed your position then?

Caps can and are managed, to think the Jets were not going to move some veterans such as Myers and perhaps a player like Perreault was short sighted. A C like Stastny shows the impact on team performance more so than retaining said players especially with the make up of Jets wingers and ready to play D like Poolman and Niku.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Toth has credible sources and has been accurate in the past. I do not doubt this at all.

A couple months back you questioned some potential ( some would say obvious ) moves the Jets could make to manage the cap and add players to improve the team overall, you've changed your position then?

Caps can and are managed, to think the Jets were not going to move some veterans such as Myers and perhaps a player like Perreault was short sighted. A C like Stastny shows the impact on team performance more so than retaining said players especially with the make up of Jets wingers and ready to play D like Poolman and Niku.
Myers is someone we will have to let go at some point before Laine's new deal kicks in. That does not mean we can trade him now and use that cap space to sign another veteran right away.

I would begin solving the cap crunch by trading Myers and Armia first. Perreault is way too good to be given up that easily, and Little's NMC makes him an automatic no-go until we hear something that proves otherwise.

Reactions: Jack722

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Myers is someone we will have to let go at some point before Laine's new deal kicks in. That does not mean we can trade him now and use that cap space to sign another veteran right away.

I would begin solving the cap crunch by trading Myers and Armia first. Perreault is way too good to be given up that easily, and Little's NMC makes him an automatic no-go until we hear something that proves otherwise.
The Jets are far deeper in forward prospects than they are for D-men, especially RHD. If they move it should be a forward not Myers. Perrault is expendable and I'd try to find a way to move Little. He's going to be a very expensive 4th line C.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
If that’s the price for a 29 point RFA winger then the Jets will just let him walk and sign a cheaper player or use one of their ELC wingers. Not exactly what I’d call a ‘painful summer’ unless you mean for Armia trying to argue he deserves almost 3m as an ok 3rd line player. Lowry too. 3.5m for a good 4th liner? Easy pass
Armia I agree, but Lowry is arguably our best puck possession driver. You won’t get a big shut down center who can dominate puck possession for anything close to 3.5 million on the UFA market.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The Jets are far deeper in forward prospects than they are for D-men, especially RHD. If they move it should be a forward not Myers. Perrault is expendable and I'd try to find a way to move Little. He's going to be a very expensive 4th line C.
'A very expensive 4th line C'... what?

f*** this witch hunt. Little could bounce back to have a Hart worthy season next year and still not get any credit for doing so.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
So I’ve read in this thread that Myers is nothing but a 3rd pairing D, Little & Lowry are nothing but overpaid 4th line players.....oh brother. This summer I’m guessing players traded will be Myers for late 1st & C/D prospect and/or Mason will be traded for a late pick.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Connor (900k) - Scheifele (6.14m) - Wheeler (5.6m)

Ehlers (6m) - Little (5.29m) - Laine (900k)

Perreault (4.1m) - Lowry (2.5m) - Roslovic (900k)

Vesalainen (900k) - Copp (1m) - Tanev (1m)

Dano( 800k)

Total: 36.03m

Morrissey (6m) - Trouba (6m)
Kulikov (4.3m) - Byfuglien (7.6m
Niku (900k) - Myers (5.75m)
Chiarot (1.4m)

Total: 31.95m

Goalies: Hellebuyck (5.75m)
Mason( 4.1m)

Total: 9.85m

Team total: 77.83m. More than enough space

Add another 2.3 million to get Trouba Lowry and Helle signed, your numbers are low. We still have a $600K hit for the Stuart buyout. Connor and Laine will get bonus money that we don't want to carry over. Without looking at the bonus schedule I'm going to guess $3 million. Vesalainen will likely be in the AHL next year and we'll still need at least 1 more depth forward in addition to a someone to fill that spot. Call this another $1 million.

This takes that 77.8 number and boosts it to almost $85 million. IMO either Myers or Mason needs to go or we will be extraordinarily lucky with out signings to get under the cap.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

**** this witch hunt. Little could bounce back to have a Hart worthy season next year and still not get any credit for doing so.

Little is currently playing on our fourth line though..

He could have a bounce back year, certainly - don't think he'll be a hart candidate - but his decline started before this year and he's getting up there. Shrug.

I agree the criticism is over the top though, and the NMC makes this a nonstarter regardless.

Last edited:

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I’m not dismissing Lowry at all, he is what he is, an elite 4th liner or a passable 3rd liner, which there is nothing wrong with. In other words he’s player that is replaceable if they ask for too much money

Not sure what 3rd line or 4th line even means really, but I do know that Lowry plays 3rd line minutes, he does it against other team's best lines, and puts up some of the best shot suppression numbers in the league.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017

**** this witch hunt. Little could bounce back to have a Hart worthy season next year and still not get any credit for doing so.
Witch hunt?? Ifs and buts don't work in the NHL. Little hasn't been the same player since he nearly had his neck broken in Tampa a couple of seasons ago. He's going through what most 30+ year old players are going through, he's lost a step in a league built for speed. He tries hard but he just doesn't have it anymore. Face it, he's where he belongs, on the 4th line. He won't be back on the 1st line again.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Witch hunt?? Ifs and buts don't work in the NHL. Little hasn't been the same player since he nearly had his neck broken in Tampa a couple of seasons ago. He's going through what most 30+ year old players are going through, he's lost a step in a league built for speed. He tries hard but he just doesn't have it anymore. Face it, he's where he belongs, on the 4th line. He won't be back on the 1st line again.
JFC.

43 points is fourth line production? We sure seem to have a team full of passengers, then.

Reactions: JetsHomer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad