Rumor: Trouba wants to stay with the Jets. Myers may be available

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
Not sure what 3rd line or 4th line even means really, but I do know that Lowry plays 3rd line minutes, he does it against other team's best lines, and puts up some of the best shot suppression numbers in the league.

Good thing he is good at shot suppression because he hasn't scored in the last 30 games.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Myers is someone we will have to let go at some point before Laine's new deal kicks in. That does not mean we can trade him now and use that cap space to sign another veteran right away.

I would begin solving the cap crunch by trading Myers and Armia first. Perreault is way too good to be given up that easily, and Little's NMC makes him an automatic no-go until we hear something that proves otherwise.
I don't dislike Perreault at all but I think people need to be more realistic with his impact. He is prone to long stretches of non production similar to what is occurring now. While being good and valuable he isn't a key component imo. Too good to be given up that easily? Not sure how you arrive at that. First Chevy won't give up on him for less than what he wants, second he simply hasn't been "way too good".

He is at best a 3rd line LW for the Jets, a slot the Jets have NHL ready players available for. Cap and roster management make him a player that is likely moved, the Jets will get a fair return and save substantially in their cap structure. A 2C is much more important and vital to the success, especially playoff success for the Jets. Whether that is Stastny or a similar centre.

This path for the Jets to follow was pointed out quite a while ago and a lot of the reaction was negative, that has diminished as the logical aspects of doing this become more and more apparent. The simple we can't afford mantra was wrong then and is still.

The Jets will have to make moves and some won't be popular with all the fans, as every fan has their favourite players they like and hold in higher regard than actual worth. Big picture is always the focus and Cheveldayoff is astutely aware of this, thankfully.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
How accurate is this source?
He’s a bit dim at times, but not dishonest and probably isn’t just generating clickbait. He has been covering the team long enough that he will have at least some contacts. I wouldn’t carve it in stone, but there is likely at least some element of truth to the story.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
From Jim Toth:
Source tells me #NHLJets Jacob Trouba has informed his agent he wants to remain a Jet & sign long term. Agent Kurt Overhardt has declined to comment. Won't play out till this summer & does not mean a deal will get done but have been told the desire & wish is to stay in #Winnipeg
10:16 AM - May 15, 2018
Trouba now wants to stay with the Jets?? Winning certainly has changed his opinion

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I think I will go grey before 21 if Little is the 2C by next season... But for real If Myers can get the Jets a nice prospect in return while they get the money to resign the Stast then it’s a perfect situation..

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This news certainly doesn't guarantee he will sign with the Jets, but it's a good sign and at least he's willing to talk contract unlike before. If he demands too much he could still be traded. Chevy took a hard line with Ladd and refused to pay him above what chevy thought he was worth and thus traded him (our Captain at the time). Good news, but no guarantees.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's definitely better on the Jets now than when Trouba made his trade demand. Back then, it seemed like even if they would make the playoffs, it was done with an aging core. Now there is also Laine, Ehlers, and Scheifele all hitting their potential, along with Morrissey, Hellebuyck, and Connor (maybe a couple I'm forgetting as well). It's mostly a young team, just with some good veteran support that is still in its prime, which is basically a perfect team situation.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It's definitely better on the Jets now than when Trouba made his trade demand. Back then, it seemed like even if they would make the playoffs, it was done with an aging core. Now there is also Laine, Ehlers, and Scheifele all hitting their potential, along with Morrissey, Hellebuyck, and Connor (maybe a couple I'm forgetting as well). It's mostly a young team, just with some good veteran support that is still in its prime, which is basically a perfect team situation.

Not to mention he's free of being anchored to Stuart every game......Stuart who at the time was constantly rated as one of the worse 50 players in the NHL. Trouba is now getting the mins and quality mins his play deserves in our top 4.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Funny. Myers was so much better than Trouba when it mattered most, and fans are ready to toss him aside because "Trouba decided he wants to stay." Good Jacob, let's see how bad you want to stay. Give the Jets a big hometown discount so they can continue to ice a competitive team.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Trouba now wants to stay with the Jets?? Winning certainly has changed his opinion
Also, he hasn't played that well lately. He misses so any games with injury. He might have had a look in the mirror and realized he's not the legend his agent told him he was and his options may be dwindling.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Funny. Myers was so much better than Trouba when it mattered most, and fans are ready to toss him aside because "Trouba decided he wants to stay." Good Jacob, let's see how bad you want to stay. Give the Jets a big hometown discount so they can continue to ice a competitive team.

Not even close to true.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Not sure what Jets you were watching but Byfuglien, Myers and Morrissey all better than Trouba in the playoffs.

56158-doctor-who-10-laughing-gif-d1ci.gif

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Myers is someone we will have to let go at some point before Laine's new deal kicks in. That does not mean we can trade him now and use that cap space to sign another veteran right away.

I would begin solving the cap crunch by trading Myers and Armia first. Perreault is way too good to be given up that easily, and Little's NMC makes him an automatic no-go until we hear something that proves otherwise.

Poolman can replace Myers, why pull a Stanford again when it’s not necessary(wait until the guy loses his value and then trade him, knowing they’re probably gonna move him anyways with other capable replacements).

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
As much as I’d love to have Myers on our team, the Leafs, especially Dubas, highly values Kasperi Kapanen, and he had such high praise for Kapanen when we acquired him in 2015 also when everyone on this board was calling him a draft bust. I doubt he’s for sale unless it’s in a package for a true elite #1 defenseman. Kapanen brings so much value to so many facets of the game and we view him as a long term guy who could potentially replace JVR or Marleau. I personally love him as a player and he should be a Leaf for a long time, so that’s my take on it.

Lol Marner/Nylander alone isn’t even worth a Eite 1D...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad