Trouba Requests Trade - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I know that Vital is no prospect, but nevertheless they gave up a first, second and took on a huge cap hit to move up 4 places -- that's a heck of a lot right there.

No fan of the move we made either, but at least we got back a third (Green) for giving up our 1st & second (albeit a much higher second) to move up 4 spaces.

One thing to keep in mind: Vitale was a complete salary dump. He's almost certainly LTIR-retired for the remainder of his contract, and his career may be over. His contract wasn't insured, he held very negative value.

By including Vitale Arizona gained $1.3m in real payroll dollars they could spend on other players. While Detroit could absorb the extra payroll on Vitale and LTIR him.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

I thought it would of been at its peak this past draft before it was common knowledge he wanted out.

it will be an annual thing every draft till trouba is 27. why trade him to help a team that needs help now.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
What you don't know is that Trouba is being paid 3 million to sit by an NHL disruptor. It works both ways.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I think we all know that this has absolutely nothing to do with the left/right issue. That was a smokescreen. He doesn't want to be in Winnipeg.

Not exactly. I'll agree it's not a left right issue & also agree he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg.

I'll add however, that if he simply wanted out, the easiest way was to have signed already so that other GM's knew what value they were getting back. His refused to sign indicates he wants to dictate exactly where he goes.

This isn't what was negotiated in the last CBA. His actions are an insult to whatever good will exists with the players union & the NHL. Not only should Chevy not be bending to his demands, but I could easily see other GM's refusing to negotiate.

Why does this RFA deserve to be treated like a UFA? His demands will ultimately change the makeup of 3+ teams, alter the lives of a half dozen players in addition to relocating all their families.

Let him rot in his parents basement until December & lose the entire season along with the $5 million that accompanies it. He can go work on his game overseas & the Jets will have his rights for an extra year. In the end a 27 year old Trouba will have more value than a 22 year old Trouba. His trade value to the Jets could actually grow.

With the Heritage game in town this weekend, Shenkarow should meet up with Chevy & give him that framed dollar bill back from the Kris Draper deal. It can serve as a reminder that Detroit still owes us & to hold out until the return far exceeds all the trouble that is going along with it.

Last edited:

peg

Jul 8, 2010
I am in the camp of let Trouba sit until he is prepared to sign a contract that Chevy wants, at which time Chevy will make a trade if, and only if, he can get the deal he wants.

Buff is a top 4 defenceman
Enstrom is a top 4 defenceman
Myers, even according to analytics, is a top 4 defenceman
Morrissey is rapidly proving that he also belongs in the top 4

Our defence would be incredible if we had Trouba as well and could push one of our top 4 into a 5/6, but in the meantime we have a more than adequate top 4 and can roll the best of Stuart, Chiarot, Postma, Melchiori to fill out the bottom rolls.

Our problem so far has been primarily related to our forwards, lack of experience and sub-par play from the vets, combined with meh goaltending. Hopefully these issues will correct themselves as the season progresses.

Let Trouba sit. I would be willing to bet that by December 1 he is signed and playing with the Jets. If not, we will have a chat with you next summer Jacob.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Like flipping over to the Ranger trade board every once in a while as they are one of those teams very desperate for a top-pairing RHD & reputed to be in the running for Trouba.

Problem with NYR is they have no real good young LHD players & no "sure thing" LHD prospects. As they have an abundance of forwards, however, some have been prepared to trade JT. Miller & their best LHD prospect/young player Skjei for Trouba. I even got a couple of them to agree to that plus their second best LHD prospect (Graves).

Given Miller & Skjei + Graves for Trouba, I would definitely take it. While neither Skjei or Graves are a sure thing, both have top 4 potential. We are desperate for depth (and a player which Skjei currently is) at that position -- this would help immensely.

Miller is real promising top 6 C/winger. Not sure if he could cut it as a 3C but quite sure he's at least that good.

Where we really win in this deal is we get down to a 3D-7F arrangement for next summer's expansion draft. That's huge for controlling who we keep or lose in that draft.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I can see this being a definite possibility. A few years ago Morrissey and Trouba were talked about by fans as a dream pairing. Our future top pairing. Make it happen Chevy!

Irony is that with Morrissey playing so well now I could see Trouba playing top 4 on the R side, instead of L.

Enstrom-Buff
Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot-Myers

Trouba becomes the main PKer, and has a stellar year in all areas playing beside an efficient and effective Morrissey.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Yeah, I could see Trouba playing the Right side tomorrow if he was on the roster today.

Completely dropped the ball if he is telling the truth for reasons to leave.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I still don't understand why people say his trade value will decline over time. I think the opposite..his trade value will peak at the draft.

Well in the context of my post that you quoted if Trouba hasn't signed a contract with an NHL team by December 1st he can't play for any team in the NHL for the remainder of the season. So his trade value is absolutely zero, unless there's a GM out there nutty enough to send assets to the Jets for the privilege of owning Trouba's rights for a season in which he can't play. I'm going to suggest that the Islanders aren't sending us Hamonic during the season so Trouba can do nothing, to use a hypothetical example (please note I'm not saying anything at all about Hamonic being traded). So his value for the remainder of the season to the Jets after December first is absolute zero unless he gets traded for draft picks, which I think unlikely. Zero to me would be a good example of a declining value. Yes, value will return after the season is over but then we're marketing a guy that hasn't played for a year. It's not like he's a car and lower mileage is a better thing, so I'll stay with declining value. Perhaps not precipitously, but declining none the less.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Like flipping over to the Ranger trade board every once in a while as they are one of those teams very desperate for a top-pairing RHD & reputed to be in the running for Trouba.

Problem with NYR is they have no real good young LHD players & no "sure thing" LHD prospects. As they have an abundance of forwards, however, some have been prepared to trade JT. Miller & their best LHD prospect/young player Skjei for Trouba. I even got a couple of them to agree to that plus their second best LHD prospect (Graves).

Given Miller & Skjei + Graves for Trouba, I would definitely take it. While neither Skjei or Graves are a sure thing, both have top 4 potential. We are desperate for depth (and a player which Skjei currently is) at that position -- this would help immensely.

Miller is real promising top 6 C/winger. Not sure if he could cut it as a 3C but quite sure he's at least that good.

Where we really win in this deal is we get down to a 3D-7F arrangement for next summer's expansion draft. That's huge for controlling who we keep or lose in that draft.

I've followed the Rangers boards for several weeks now. Honesty one of the smartest collection of posters out there. If any team has made their case to be the final destination for Trouba it's them.

I've long been convinced that Trouba is dictating where he ends up (Detroit). The fact a few vetted posters on the Rangers board have acknowledged that there have been talks between NYR/Wpg at least suggests that Chevy may indeed have other options.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Really? One playoff appearance and zero playoff wins in the five years in Winnipeg isn't my definition of competitive. In fact i haven't looked it up but there are probably only three or four franchises with a worse overall record during that timeframe.

Read the whole sentence next time. :teach:

or prospects or picks?

Blue chip D prospects (Provorov, Werenski, umm...) or four 1sts (offer sheet compensation for the contract he should sign).

If you had a mediator involved in this situation, the solution would likely be something like a 4 X $3.5M contract. At that AAV Trouba would be very attractive to the other 30 teams and give the Jets the best opportunity to get value back in a trade. It would also give Trouba control over where he plays once the contract is up no matter if or where he is traded to. It also avoids the whole arbitration process.

I wouldn't touch this as the Jets. Star players don't sign away all RFA years without including some UFA years. Why should the Jets be forced into it?

What you don't know is that Trouba is being paid 3 million to sit by an NHL disruptor. It works both ways.

Maybe the NHLPA is paying Trouba under the table.

:huh:

:loony:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Well in the context of my post that you quoted if Trouba hasn't signed a contract with an NHL team by December 1st he can't play for any team in the NHL for the remainder of the season. So his trade value is absolutely zero, unless there's a GM out there nutty enough to send assets to the Jets for the privilege of owning Trouba's rights for a season in which he can't play. I'm going to suggest that the Islanders aren't sending us Hamonic during the season so Trouba can do nothing, to use a hypothetical example (please note I'm not saying anything at all about Hamonic being traded). So his value for the remainder of the season to the Jets after December first is absolute zero unless he gets traded for draft picks, which I think unlikely. Zero to me would be a good example of a declining value. Yes, value will return after the season is over but then we're marketing a guy that hasn't played for a year. It's not like he's a car and lower mileage is a better thing, so I'll stay with declining value. Perhaps not precipitously, but declining none the less.

That's what spurned the Evander Kane trade. You send out assets, contributing to your team receive something back that cannot be used in that season.

#TankNation

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Lots of time for deal before Trouba loses season, agent says

Overhardt said Monday that if nothing happens before Dec. 1, there’s "obviously a plan in place."

"We have to contemplate everything, but it’s not something we are going to discuss as it involves our client and it’s a private matter," he said, adding he'd spoken with Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff earlier in the day. "Any of the conversations we have with (the Jets) are very amicable and those are private, too."

Overhardt said Trouba, who is training privately at home in Michigan, won't be saying anything publicly until after the situation is resolved.

"He’s just trying to be a pro and he wants to stay out of the media," Overhardt said.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...trouba-loses-season-agent-says-397485031.html

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Lots of time for deal before Trouba loses season, agent says

Overhardt said Monday that if nothing happens before Dec. 1, there’s "obviously a plan in place."

"We have to contemplate everything, but it’s not something we are going to discuss as it involves our client and it’s a private matter," he said, adding he'd spoken with Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff earlier in the day. "Any of the conversations we have with (the Jets) are very amicable and those are private, too."

Overhardt said Trouba, who is training privately at home in Michigan, won't be saying anything publicly until after the situation is resolved.

"He’s just trying to be a pro and he wants to stay out of the media," Overhardt said.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...trouba-loses-season-agent-says-397485031.html

How do you say Trouba in Russian?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
He just wants to be a pro?
:shakehead

Sorry, that opportunity came and went, and Trouba failed at becoming what he wants to be.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
That's what spurned the Evander Kane trade. You send out assets, contributing to your team receive something back that cannot be used in that season.

#TankNation

Ok, but I have to think the odds are pretty darn small of lucking into that type of scenario again. Regardless, I stand corrected. So who's tanking?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I wouldn't touch this as the Jets. Star players don't sign away all RFA years without including some UFA years. Why should the Jets be forced into it?

I never said the Jets would do it but obviously if they did, then they would trade him before the contract ends. What difference do the UFA years make if he's with another team?

BTW I suspect Trouba won't do that deal either because despite what he says, I think it really is all about the money. A mediated settlement would have parts both sides don't like. That's the point.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Going public with a trade demand in place since May refutes this statement.

He certainly didn't want to stay out of the media a few weeks back when he accepted the Lawless interview before Overhardt decided to speak in his place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad