Trouba Requests Trade - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
LA has cap trouble they need a couple million in relief. . Sign Trouba for 5.5 for 5 years trade him and a GOOD prospect for Doughty!

Instantly we get better and LA gets the Cap relief and Youth they need.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
LA has cap trouble they need a couple million in relief. . Sign Trouba for 5.5 for 5 years trade him and a GOOD prospect for Doughty!

Instantly we get better and LA gets the Cap relief and Youth they need.

If LA considers Doughty a #4D, that might work!

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
The best case scenario is a cup contending team, say Wash or TB has a relatively high cap hit D man go down for the year (LTIR frees cap space) prior to December 1 and thinks that Trouba could fill the void and has a deep enough system that would allow the Jets to get decent relative value back. Its probably worth waiting a month to see if something shakes free.

Given that Trouba is 22 and an RFA for 4 (5?) more seasons, it's folly to think that the only teams 'buying' would be contenders.

One other point that i think isn't being discussed. Its really bad for young players development to consistently lose and develop bad habits. (See Edmonton, Carolina, Columbus) I think Chevy should not worry about setting precedents, just get some good veteran players in who could help create a positive competitive atmosphere around the team. Id like to see Chevy get more aggressive about showing the young guys that he intends to win NOW.

The Jets have been and I'm sure will be an extremely competitive 5-on-5 team. But go ahead and compare them to lottery dynasties like the Oilers. :facepalm:

(Not interested in veterans for Trouba.)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Setting precedents can be dangerous. I can't predict how dangerous, just that it introduces risk with other RFAs and contract negotations. That's all I'm saying.
This is absolutely true, particularly so for small market and/or Canadian teams. And it doesn't happen often but the risks and consequences of a mishandled deal are significant. The last real comparable to this mess, IMO, was the Nordiques, ~25 years ago. The comparables were not in the quality of player, but in the parents' interference and insistence that Lindros leave a small Canadian market for the US.
Keep in mind that, after allowing Lindros to sit for a year, the Nordiques crafted a deal that allowed their franchise (then the Colarado Avalanche) to win the Stanley Cup within 5 years. It's just a pity that economics did not allow Quebec City to savour that victory.

I've never bought into the theory that moving Trouba will open the gates for other RFA's wanting out. And IMO the biggest future risk to attracting and keeping players is continued losing and not having Trouba or his equivalent in the line up is contributing to just that.
And the biggest risks for continued losing are,
a) trading in haste or from a position of weakness and getting an inferior player(s) back, and
b) having other players perceive the Jets as a team which suffers a risk premium for winning because it is forced to take pennies back on the dollar in situations such as this

For a stable franchise like the Jets, short-term losing is only background noise, yet it is the only leverage Overhardt has in this. The real risk for the organization is in long-term losing from a failed negotiation-from-strength, which is why there is no sense in completing a trade which is other than Lindrosesque.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
No need for a gun. Trouba wants a big contract and there is a widespread perception that his play has gone downhill in the last two years. If the Jets don't trade him because there is no trade of acceptable value on the table, and he comes back and plays, sulking and not playing hard will hardly show teams that he's reversing the downward trend. That will not be helpful when you're looking for a 6 year deal at $6M per...

Furthermore, Trouba is a good player but nowhere near the McDavid, Crosby, Kane, Seguin, etc. class, where a year-long holdout would have zero impact on their value to most teams. If he holds out for the full year, he will again be leaving long-term money on the table.

The Jets will miss the use of an asset if he holds out but they're not paying him a salary right now and aren't contending for the Cup this year anyway.

Realistically, Trouba's best bet to get out of Winnipeg would be for him to come back, play with Buff on the top pairing (albeit on his wrong side), play extraordinarily well and have teams willing to put up serious assets to entice Chevy into making a deal.

In short, ffh, everyone is disagreeing with your rationale for good reasons - the Jets hold all the leverage, why deal from a position of weakness when you don't have to? If no deal is forthcoming as we approach Dec. 1, Trouba is better served with signing a bridge deal and playing hard and well to prove his value - in which case, the Jets would be able to deal from a position of strength, facilitating a potential trade.

Not playing or playing poorly will only make a trade and big pay day less likely, so it really would be a poor decision on his part....

IMO there is a zero percent chance that the Jets offer Trouba a bridge deal near Dec. 1st unless it's to facilitate a trade that gets them exactly what they want. An 8 year deal at a $4 AAV is all the Jets should table at this point. If Trouba doesn't like it he can sit out the year. Next season he can either accept the qualifying offer (leaving lots of money on the table), sign the 8 year deal proposed the previous December 1st or sit out another season. Repeat until he's 27 years old and can legitimately choose where he wants to play. The Jets should 100% go completely scorched earth with this. Some people might view it as cutting off your nose to spite your face but I view it as amputating a limb to stop the spread of cancer. Trouba signed to a long term, team friendly deal gets the Jets the most value in return. If Trouba wants out he's going to have to feel the pain just as much, if not more, than the Jets will.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Sit tight Chevy wait for your price... Josh is doing fine and with all the kids in the team we are only in development mode this season.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
IMO there is a zero percent chance that the Jets offer Trouba a bridge deal near Dec. 1st unless it's to facilitate a trade that gets them exactly what they want. An 8 year deal at a $4 AAV is all the Jets should table at this point. If Trouba doesn't like it he can sit out the year. Next season he can either accept the qualifying offer (leaving lots of money on the table), sign the 8 year deal proposed the previous December 1st or sit out another season. Repeat until he's 27 years old and can legitimately choose where he wants to play. The Jets should 100% go completely scorched earth with this. Some people might view it as cutting off your nose to spite your face but I view it as amputating a limb to stop the spread of cancer. Trouba signed to a long term, team friendly deal gets the Jets the most value in return. If Trouba wants out he's going to have to feel the pain just as much, if not more, than the Jets will.

I don't think Chevy should low ball him on the long term offer. If he offers something close to market value, then theirs a chance that Trouba will actually take it, which would be a big win for the club. Offering that 4 mil deal only serves to ensure that he'll continue sitting out.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

Trouba has absolutely no incentive to sign such a ****** 8 year deal. If he has a change of heart he'll get his market value for either a long-term deal or a bridge.

Let's not forget we actually want Trouba to play for us right now.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

I wonder how many other GMs would also go scorched earth if this was happening to them, or at the very least in favor of what Chevy is doing RE: waiting it out. This goes beyond Winnipeg and affects every team IMO.

Trouba could have shown up to training camp, and he could be playing right now... and he still could have asked for his trade while all the time playing hard and being a pro. But, he made his choice to make it public and hold his breathe until Chevy gives in to his demands. Trouba will find out Chevy is the master at holding his breath.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I don't think Chevy should low ball him on the long term offer. If he offers something close to market value, then theirs a chance that Trouba will actually take it, which would be a big win for the club. Offering that 4 mil deal only serves to ensure that he'll continue sitting out.

Yep. Be a huge mistake trying to low-ball him & force him into signing for a lot less than he's worth. I'd love to sign him for 6 or more years at 5.5 (which is more than fair for 6) and give him a chance to readjust to playing here before deciding if there's a suitable trade or if we need to ship him out

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If you had a mediator involved in this situation, the solution would likely be something like a 4 X $3.5M contract. At that AAV Trouba would be very attractive to the other 30 teams and give the Jets the best opportunity to get value back in a trade. It would also give Trouba control over where he plays once the contract is up no matter if or where he is traded to. It also avoids the whole arbitration process.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is absolutely true, particularly so for small market and/or Canadian teams. And it doesn't happen often but the risks and consequences of a mishandled deal are significant. The last real comparable to this mess, IMO, was the Nordiques, ~25 years ago. The comparables were not in the quality of player, but in the parents' interference and insistence that Lindros leave a small Canadian market for the US.
Keep in mind that, after allowing Lindros to sit for a year, the Nordiques crafted a deal that allowed their franchise (then the Colarado Avalanche) to win the Stanley Cup within 5 years. It's just a pity that economics did not allow Quebec City to savour that victory.

And the biggest risks for continued losing are,
a) trading in haste or from a position of weakness and getting an inferior player(s) back, and
b) having other players perceive the Jets as a team which suffers a risk premium for winning because it is forced to take pennies back on the dollar in situations such as this

For a stable franchise like the Jets, short-term losing is only background noise, yet it is the only leverage Overhardt has in this. The real risk for the organization is in long-term losing from a failed negotiation-from-strength, which is why there is no sense in completing a trade which is other than Lindrosesque.

Who said anything about trading in haste? Chevy knew about the trade demand 5 months ago. He just my be the most patient GM in the league. And why would he be in a position of weakness? He holds all the leverage and is open to any and all offers and also has the cap space and deep prospect pool to grease a deal. This isn't a situation on having to take pennies back on the dollar, and Chevy IMO taken the right approach of having an impossibly high ask. Keeps the tire kickers away.

Another question when does short term losing turn into long term losing, because after the total lack of success in Atlanta and year #6 in Winnipeg this franchise must be getting pretty close by now?

And I'd love nothing more than completing a trade that is Lindroesgue, as that deal helped set the Avs up for multiple cup wins over the next several years.

And I'll had as much as people want Trouba to feel the pain, after December 1st his value plummets like a rock if Chevy doesn't have a contract in hand.

Stream*

Dec 13, 2015
Don't know how to make a poll but in everyone's option what has a bigger negative impact on a hockey players growth as a player and career?

A) playing on his non-dominant side as a defenceman
B ) not playing at all

#justsayin

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Who said anything about trading in haste? Chevy knew about the trade demand 5 months ago. He just my be the most patient GM in the league. And why would he be in a position of weakness? He holds all the leverage and is open to any and all offers and also has the cap space and deep prospect pool to grease a deal. This isn't a situation on having to take pennies back on the dollar, and Chevy IMO taken the right approach of having an impossibly high ask. Keeps the tire kickers away.

Another question when does short term losing turn into long term losing, because after the total lack of success in Atlanta and year #6 in Winnipeg this franchise must be getting pretty close by now?

And I'd love nothing more than completing a trade that is Lindroesgue, as that deal helped set the Avs up for multiple cup wins over the next several years.

And I'll had as much as people want Trouba to feel the pain, after December 1st his value plummets like a rock if Chevy doesn't have a contract in hand.

I'd guess that Trouba becomes untradeable until the draft if there's no deal by December 1st so definite negative impact on his value from the Jets perspective.

But Trouba gives up $5 million (estimate) in potential salary based on comparables by refusing to sign. He also probably looks at a reduced salary when returning the following season after being traded for a diminished return given he's going to be rusty and has hampered his development. Playing shinny at the local Michigan outdoor rinks ain't gonna get it done. He can hurt the organization (already has) but he's hurting himself in the process.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Irony is that with Morrissey playing so well now I could see Trouba playing top 4 on the R side, instead of L.

Enstrom-Buff
Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot-Myers

Trouba becomes the main PKer, and has a stellar year in all areas playing beside an efficient and effective Morrissey.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Irony is that with Morrissey playing so well now I could see Trouba playing top 4 on the R side, instead of L.

Enstrom-Buff
Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot-Myers

Trouba becomes the main PKer, and has a stellar year in all areas playing beside an efficient and effective Morrissey.

I think we all know that this has absolutely nothing to do with the left/right issue. That was a smokescreen. He doesn't want to be in Winnipeg.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Enstrom-Buff
Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot-Myers

strait has a better chance to play for the jets this year then trouba.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hamilton did not demand a trade. This would set a different precedent. As a business, you can't cave on leverage that exists in the CBA - the player is free to NOT sign, but you can't simply fold and give him what he wants as an RFA. IMO, it sets a dangerous precedent.

I know others disagree with me, and that's fine. I'm coming at this from a very specific, business related angle.

I'd say he pretty much did with his actions.

He got different type of offers but never replied to any of them.
Read a lot at the time that Sweeney realized day before the draft he had no intrest re-signing with them.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I'd guess that Trouba becomes untradeable until the draft if there's no deal by December 1st so definite negative impact on his value from the Jets perspective.

But Trouba gives up $5 million (estimate) in potential salary based on comparables by refusing to sign. He also probably looks at a reduced salary when returning the following season after being traded for a diminished return given he's going to be rusty and has hampered his development. Playing shinny at the local Michigan outdoor rinks ain't gonna get it done. He can hurt the organization (already has) but he's hurting himself in the process.

I still don't understand why people say his trade value will decline over time. I think the opposite..his trade value will peak at the draft.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Given that Trouba is 22 and an RFA for 4 (5?) more seasons, it's folly to think that the only teams 'buying' would be contenders.
Didn't say "only" I said best chance to receive decent relative value.

The Jets have been and I'm sure will be an extremely competitive 5-on-5 team. But go ahead and compare them to lottery dynasties like the Oilers. :facepalm:
Really? One playoff appearance and zero playoff wins in the five years in Winnipeg isn't my definition of competitive. In fact i haven't looked it up but there are probably only three or four franchises with a worse overall record during that timeframe.
(Not interested in veterans for Trouba.)
or prospects or picks?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Everyone should just stop talking about Trouba. The more Trouba is trending the bigger his ego gets.
I'm okay with him sitting out the whole season ... if he gets his way all the small market teams will suffer in the future.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I still don't understand why people say his trade value will decline over time. I think the opposite..his trade value will peak at the draft.

I thought it would of been at its peak this past draft before it was common knowledge he wanted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad