Trouba or Morrissey - who's going to be the best

Who would you rather have, Morrissey or Trouba

• Total voters

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Morrissey, he's already playing better than Trouba and more consistently. He's better at both sides of the game.

He reminds me of Enstrom in the peak of his game offensively, and Enstrom in the peak of his game defensively all wrapped into one.

I see Trouba have 'skill farts' much more than Morrissey.

We haven't even seen the best from JoMo either.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is so interesting, I was about to post the same poll. I voted Morrissey.

Would be interesting to see if there was a third option for Rielly as well. He had a really productive year and is outscoring Trouba and especially Morrissey by far (I think he even outscored Buff), but Morrissey is so good defensively.

Rielly would play on our 2nd pair. Easily 3rd in this 2 man poll.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Morrissey, he's already playing better than Trouba and more consistently. He's better at both sides of the game.

He reminds me of Enstrom in the peak of his game offensively, and Enstrom in the peak of his game defensively all wrapped into one.

I see Trouba have 'skill farts' much more than Morrissey.

We haven't even seen the best from JoMo either.

Couldn't have said it better. Trouba is still great but Morrissey has a better mind for the game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
These guys make a really good top pair I like them both allot and am not voting.

JMo plays a cleaner smarter game with less risk baked into his current style. You can watch Morrissey play for games on end and not notice any overt errors which is pretty crazy considering he eats really tough minutes. The only challenge I see is he is still playing it too safe for my liking. There is allot more offense in his game and if he dials up the risk reward 20% more I think that is where we see the best of Josh emerge. I could see Josh reaching that Gio level but at a younger age if he lets himself go more.

On the Flip side Jacob is much more aggressive stylistically. He is really good but has a fair amount of risk folded into his approach and with it comes more mistakes. I actually think Jacob has his risk reward balance about right. In the new NHL you have to push it more than you use to to generate offense.

The main thing is I see these guys as a pair improving over the next 2-3 seasons. They are already really good together but we need them to elevate to the next level and if they do I feel a cup coming.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
These guys make a really good top pair I like them both allot and am not voting.

JMo plays a cleaner smarter game with less risk baked into his current style. You can watch Morrissey play for games on end and not notice any overt errors which is pretty crazy considering he eats really tough minutes. The only challenge I see is he is still playing it too safe for my liking. There is allot more offense in his game and if he dials up the risk reward 20% more I think that is where we see the best of Josh emerge. I could see Josh reaching that Gio level but at a younger age if he lets himself go more.

On the Flip side Jacob is much more aggressive stylistically. He is really good but has a fair amount of risk folded into his approach and with it comes more mistakes. I actually think Jacob has his risk reward balance about right. In the new NHL you have to push it more than you use to to generate offense.

The main thing is I see these guys as a pair improving over the next 2-3 seasons. They are already really good together but we need them to elevate to the next level and if they do I feel a cup coming.

Good post. I wonder how much of JoMo's conservative sytle is him and how much is the coaching system. It seems Maurice tends to want to attack down the right side so he needs his left d to play a bit more conservatively.

I do agree with you with regards to Morrissey opening his game up though. I remember couple of times where we were trailing and JoMo upped his aggressiveness and looked fantastic going all around, so its there and I would also like to see it a bit more.

Reactions: ps241

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I'm noticing these two started to merge a bit -

Trouba is backing off a little on his aggressive play and doing a little less head hunting. He's also being a little more responsible in his own end and being smarter in the other end, especially with his shooting (which used to be "shoot from everywhere, often").

Morrissey is adding a more aggressive piece to his game but still very reliable with his D game. He'll be adding offense soon - you can see it developing now.

I other words, they're starting to look a little more like each other - great skaters with a balanced game. Some of that comes from playing together for extended periods.

If these two get the chance to play together in future years, they are going to be very dynamic at both ends of the ice - IMO. I wonder if they also see that playing with each other makes both their games much better.

I call it a draw . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241 and wasup

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Morrissey without hesitation IMO. Like his skating more and find him to be a smarter hockey player. Think Enstrom with an offensive game and a little bit of physicality.
Not a difficult decision to me.

JoMo for sure.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I love both Trouba and Morrissey, they work perfectly together like peanut butter and jam. But I slightly prefer JoMo. His skating is just gorgeous and his IQ is off the charts good. He rarely makes a mistake on his shut down assignments. If he becomes more offensive in the NHL like he was in junior...jesus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad