Trouba or Morrissey - who's going to be the best

Who would you rather have, Morrissey or Trouba

• Total voters

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
In a follow up to my Trouba/Forsberg question, I thought I'd compare apples to apples. Here are two young, highly talented defensemen who are paired together on the Jets. You can keep just one. Who is it?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I like Morrissey's game more. He already plays like he's been in the league 10 years. I expect his offense to develop more as he becomes even more confident in his defensive game. I don't know if everybody really appreciates what a player we have with him.

...and if we can have both locked up in a realistic deal, we could have the top defensive pairing in the NHL for years to come.

Reactions: KB1971

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
In a follow up to my Trouba/Forsberg question, I thought I'd compare apples to apples. Here are two young, highly talented defensemen who are paired together on the Jets. You can keep just one. Who is it?

This is so interesting, I was about to post the same poll. I voted Morrissey.

Would be interesting to see if there was a third option for Rielly as well. He had a really productive year and is outscoring Trouba and especially Morrissey by far (I think he even outscored Buff), but Morrissey is so good defensively.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I was thinking about this same question a while ago. I vote Morrissey just for his stability and intelligence. Other than that they are pretty close imo.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I was thinking about this same question a while ago. I vote Morrissey just for his stability and intelligence. Other than that they are pretty close imo.
That's Alot of that there. I mean stability and intelligence.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Morrissey. I like Trouba but liked him a bit more two years ago. Morrissey seems to be getting better and better..

I think Morrissey game will age better too.Guy has such strong defensive iq and positioning

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Trouba has it all. Morrissey will never be "all-around" d-man like Trouba, but he does some things a bit better and lacks in some areas. I would very much like to choose them both. Trouba has my vote.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good question.

I think Morrissey has developed a stronger defensive base than Trouba and still has a lot of room to grow offensively. If he can turn into a high end PP QB and get his offense a bit higher at ES I take him over Trouba. As of now they are fairly close.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
This is Morrissey for a plethora of reasons, though both players prove there cases.

Trouba:

Positives: Better shot, better passing accuracy, flashier scorer(this is weird because he’s slower than Morrissey), better hands IMO, Offensive IQ, stronger, more aggressive, very good at defence.

Negatives: tends to makes mistakes every now and then, takes more penalties,

Morrissey:

Positives: Elite in his own zone(imo, especially for his age), excellent stick work, excellent precision in board play, better overall skater(faster, quicker and better moving backwards), though he is not as aggressive as Trouba he is more effective when he decides to be(he only uses aggression when necessary and when it will benefit the team in the overall game), he’s smarter than Trouba defensively, though he’s not as good and flashy offensively compared to Trouba he does show flashes of being a really good Two-Way scoring Defensmen(though Trouba is naturally better in this area, time will tell and so will the PP I guess).

Negatives: Tends to be late when distributing the puck in the O-zone sometimes, he’s great at everything else IMO.

I think Morrissey is a bigger necessity for this roster and a better overall player.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I think with Trouba's extra size he is able to control the net front presence and boards better giving him the edge. They both bring something a little different to the table and that's what makes them mesh so well together .

Reactions: Saidin

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba's size and strength make him harder to play against on the boards and in dangerous areas. Trouba also seems tireless, and could probably log minutes like Doughty and Suter. Morrissey might be able to, but hadn't had to show that.

Overall it's very close, but I think Trouba is currently more effective, but I like Morrissey as a player better. His mobility and smarts are off the charts. If Morrissey had a bit more strength, speed and explosiveness, he'd be off the charts.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think with Trouba's extra size he is able to control the net front presence and boards better giving him the edge. They both bring something a little different to the table and that's what makes them mesh so well together .

Morrissey is a more punishing body checker than Trouba regardless of size. I believe Josh has more potential upside offensively.
Both are good young defenders but if I had to choose one it would be Morrissey

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Both are great at the position and bring different things on the ice as stated by many of you.

But watching over the last 2 years Morrissey is more consistent and brings a claming presence. I find Trouba makes more mistakes then #44. His skating is also better then Troubas.

What a time to be a Jets fan when we have Jacob and Josh patrolling the blue line.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Trouba will decline earlier and much faster than Morrissey. Not as quick as Mike Richards did, which was super surprised how fast Mike Richards declined because he looked unreal and was awesome when he played for Canada, and next thing you know he hit a brick wall.

But I think Trouba will start declining at 28. Morrissey I think will be much more consistent as age goes by and will be the better value, I say he starts ageing when he's 35.

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
I value Morrissey far more.
One of the smartest players we have, great skater, physical enough, blocks a lot of shots, fantastic defensive timing, makes about 2 or 3 mistakes per season. Trouba is a solid player but Morrissey will make anyone he plays with look pretty good. Trouba still makes me shake my head at times and is inconsistent with his effort, Morrissey is not.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Morrissey is a more punishing body checker than Trouba regardless of size. I believe Josh has more potential upside offensively.
Both are good young defenders but if I had to choose one it would be Morrissey
I think Trouba is more punishing, agreed JoMo will throw his body around and does a great job, just see a little more nastiness when Trouba does it

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Trouba is more punishing, agreed JoMo will throw his body around and does a great job, just see a little more nastiness when Trouba does it
Trouba punishes players along the boards and around the net much more than Morrissey. It's part of Trouba's effectiveness defensively in his own zone.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
They're both fairly equal in talent but Trouba has more trade value being a RHD.

Both are cornerstones of the Jets D for years to come they need to be locked up long term.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think Josh picks his spots much better and rarely gets destroyed like Benn did to Trouba.
In my opinion Trouba’s technique is not as good as Morrissey.
You seldom see Josh getting the worst of the contact.
Again just my observation.
Trouba can be nastier but not always the victor

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Morrisseys game is predicated on smarts and iq. Even when his body detiorates he'll still have the strong defensive awareness and positioning. Honestly I think the latter two makes him seem physically quicker than he really is cuz he's always in position

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad