Confirmed with Link: Trotz will not return as caps coach

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think it was just about money. Various local beat writers mentioned that if Trotz stayed, Reirden would have to go. The front office made their decision and I think it's probably the right one. We'll see.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I hope this wasn't a case of Leonsis and Patrick just being cheapasses when it comes to coaching contracts, and more just a case of Trotz deciding it's time to move on.

I get that there was an extension in place for winning the Cup but they certainly had to be able to re-negotiate, right?

And now we know a little better about Trotz "I am outta here"comment to Torts. He knew at the time that there was a contract the he didn't want if he won the cup and a pink slip if he didnt

Reactions: Bronco Horvat

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think it was just about money. Various local beat writers mentioned that if Trotz stayed, Reirden would have to go. The front office made their decision and I think it's probably the right one. We'll see.

MacLellan has said that they had a one year deal with Reirden where they would block his access to other teams for a HC job. You think its better to keep Reirden?

I am not sure. He can coach em up a defenseman. That is for sure. But I am a conservative in many areas. A bird in the hand kind of thing.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I have no problem not paying him top dollar when they probably were a game or two from canning him in the regular season.

I think he’s a good coach, and it was a heck of a run, but I don’t think he was that critical to the run. It was as much lightning in a bottle as his pushing the right buttons.

If they paid the premium he wanted for 3-4 years like he probably wanted, and they start slow or don’t look like a Cup team like they didn’t for much of last season, you can’t fire him or you’re on the hook for that amount of dough. I think the Caps want another kick at the can, but they’re as tuned in as anyone else that odds are just as good that they struggle as they win it again.

It sucks because he’s a good guy, but I think the coach in hockey is a bit overrated.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I get the feeling that GMBM wanted to get younger and move forward with Rierden whom he saw as his head coach of the future but obviously those plans had a wrench thrown in them when the Caps won the Cup. When they won the Cup he probably had a dollar value in mind for bringing Trotz back and Trotz felt under-appreciated. I imagine this is how GMBM wanted it to work out... the Caps get the Cup and he gets his man behind the bench.

If I recall correctly, BM didn't hire Trotz.

Reactions: Portable Mink

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
I'm not even that surprised except for the fact that I didn't expect an announcement either way for a few more weeks. I'd be surprised if Trotz didn't feel disrespected here and I'm not sure I envy Reirden having to fill his shoes so soon after the Cup run.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't think moving forward with Rierden is necessarily the wrong decision. It sucks that Barry won't be behind the bench next year when they raise the banner but there seemed to be some clear friction between he and GMBM. I get the feeling that GMBM thought he put together a roster where they should have broken through earlier than they did and this magical Cup run isn't going to change his mind about Trotz's stripes moving forward. If I was a betting man I would bet that he went through the motions of negotiating an extension because he had to but it wasn't a genuine attempt to keep Barry in D.C. as HC.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
MacLellan has said that they had a one year deal with Reirden where they would block his access to other teams for a HC job. You think its better to keep Reirden?
I think his age and developmental bonafides when it comes to defensemen are distinguishing advantages. We'll see about the rest and whether he's still able to maintain that level of hands-on attention to detail when he's a head coach. Can he do the same when it comes to forwards? What sort of quality will they be able to put in place as his assistants? All important. Does Korn also move on with Murray also to follow? There's a lot that was destined to change and part of the advantage in keeping and promoting Reirden will be keeping Carlson & Kempny (particularly Kempny IMO). If it's indeed true that they switched to Reirden's neutral zone tactics in the playoffs then that would be another significant positive in his favor. Reirden will also be cheaper--and will still need to re-negotiate prior to the promotion being made official--but I don't have a real problem with it. We don't really know all of the behind the scenes goings on but clearly there seemed to be a split where it was going to be one or the other and not re-negotiating earlier on with Trotz sort of laid out where their preference was.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Wow. I can't act like I wasn't on the fire Trotz train a few months ago but I obviously ate crow and changed my mind.

Doesn't Ted have a history of being cheap when it comes to coaches (I'm looking mostly at the Wizards organization for examples). The guy led your team to a SC team Brian/Ted, and now you get too cheap. I'm a little stunned. Watch Reirden fall on his face.

Reactions: RandyHolt

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don't blame the guy for not taking that extension. That's a huge underpayment compared to some of these new deals. I saw somewhere the new NYR coach is paid 2.5 million despite only having one year as an NHL assistant under his belt

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
I don't think moving forward with Rierden is necessarily the wrong decision. It sucks that Barry won't be behind the bench next year when they raise the banner but there seemed to be some clear friction between he and GMBM. I get the feeling that GMBM thought he put together a roster where they should have broken through earlier than they did and this magical Cup run isn't going to change his mind about Trotz's stripes moving forward. If I was a betting man I would bet that he went through the motions of negotiating an extension because he had to but it wasn't a genuine attempt to keep Barry in D.C. as HC.
Yeah, I don't think GMBM wanted him back. His response after they won sounded like he knew he had no choice. But I expected Ted to make sure it happened anyway.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
All good.

Trotz and this Group of guys won the cup. It’s awesome and a happy ending no matter what.

However, Caps are a older team - and Trotz isn’t a guy who develops young talent well - and it’s time for Caps to add some youth. We got the cup on Ovechkins thirteenth season with our other assistants being Backstrom and Orpik. Two older guys now took. It’s now time for a the next generation. We have recent first round picks that are on the roster - and others in the system. A new coach right now seems like the right idea moving forward.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Teds cheap. But he will pay if he had to. The question is whether or not his advice he was getting was to pay what it cost for a coach. I don’t think he feels a coaches value is worth what they could get, especially when I know they almost fired Barry a number of times this past season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad