Rumor: Trotz says he done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
had that exact shower thought last night.

would be a reasonable third explanation to the current contract situation, Trotz's alleged comments, and a reason why a team that seems to still respect him just fine is playing out of their friggin' minds right now. Whether I've agreed with all of his personnel decisions or not, I've never gotten the read that he was a "lost the room" type of coach, so I guess that makes as much sense as anything else.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I for one definitely wanted Trotz gone midseason. Team looked like shit. Holtby had lost his game. They sucked from top to bottom, except for Ovie who kept them afloat. I have no idea what's gone on since then to turn pretty much everything around, but I give credit to all. Coaching staff has done a stellar job this playoffs. Players are executing at a level I didn't think most of them could reach. GMBM has given Trotz all the pieces he needs. It's awesome.

Do I want Trotz back? Maybe. Probably. Ask me again in a week or two.

I don't see a reason to call anyone out on the carpet over this stuff. The team was awful, and lots of fans were fed up. Some had more patience. Who cares either way now?

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I for one definitely wanted Trotz gone midseason. Team looked like ****. Holtby had lost his game. They sucked from top to bottom, except for Ovie who kept them afloat. I have no idea what's gone on since then to turn pretty much everything around, but I give credit to all. Coaching staff has done a stellar job this playoffs. Players are executing at a level I didn't think most of them could reach. GMBM has given Trotz all the pieces he needs. It's awesome.

Do I want Trotz back? Maybe. Probably. Ask me again in a week or two.

I don't see a reason to call anyone out on the carpet over this stuff. The team was awful, and lots of fans were fed up. Some had more patience. Who cares either way now?

That’s not it, Cali. Least, not from where I sit.

There have been a few extremely negatives posters for the last couple of years, who generally only come on this site to “pile on” when things were crap, and take shots at the team (and supportive posters) in a gazilion threads. Hell, they did it in this thread as well.

There is no reason not to ask them where they sit now, and if this turn of events truly makes them happy, or not. Many posters have mea culpa’d ovwr this playoffs, as have I. It’s cleansing, IMO. However....Some haven’t. So I wanted to know if they were really happy about how things stand, today. It’s an honest question.

(MOD)

Just felt really hypocritical. So I said something.

(MOD)

Anyway ... I will let it all go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
had that exact shower thought last night.

would be a reasonable third explanation to the current contract situation, Trotz's alleged comments, and a reason why a team that seems to still respect him just fine is playing out of their friggin' minds right now. Whether I've agreed with all of his personnel decisions or not, I've never gotten the read that he was a "lost the room" type of coach, so I guess that makes as much sense as anything else.

I hope he gives it another kick at the can. They’ve broken Thru. And in a pretty convincing fashion.

Yzerman won a lot later in his career. Ovechkin could do the same. As many have noted (Tex says it a lot)...8 plays hard and well for Trotz. Trotz should ride Ovechkin/Backstrom out — and then retire.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
I’m sure that Trotz is a great guy who is well liked by the players, but he’s NOT a great coach. There’s a reason why he hasn’t been past the 2nd round until now while fielding some pretty good teams here and in Nashville. He continues to favor non contributing vets and plugs over more dynamic young players. Had we not been forced to make some tough choices due to the cap, guys like Stephenson and Vrana who have been instrumental in this run would most certainly be on nacho duties. Trotz playing Weber over Schmidt pretty much tells you everything you need to know about his coaching acumen. With that being said, I would love nothing more than for Barry to win the cup and ride into the sunset, but would not want him back behind the bench.

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Even if they won it all the way this year, I still wouldn't want him back (nor would I want Reirden). I just generally think his style of Hockey is an outdated beast and most of the finer points of the evolving game are just not emphasized in how he structures his team.

Though if it's between Trotz and Reirden I suppose I'd prefer Trotz. Nothings giving me confidence Reirden can/will be a good NHL coach.

Reactions: maacoshark

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wanted Trotz gone 1.5 years ago, but that December we flipped the switch and had a hot run that squashed that from happening.

The big things this year: Ovi gave his all the entire regular season, setting the example for the younger guys and vets alike. And Barry was forced to use young players. Suspension and injuries in the playoffs have forced his hands even further. Orpik nails it well in a must read: Our biggest boost has come from those young players who are completely unattached to our past failures.

Barry is obviously a great guy, everyone loves him, but in the end coaches have to be judged by playoff success, improvement over previous years, and developing players.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
I post very occasionally on the Caps' board. I'm more of a lurker, but will add two cents when needed...

I got up from the Dallas game on April Fools Day 2014, after being blown out 5-0 while fighting for a playoff spot, and told everyone around me the Adam Oates experiment should be over and take George McPhee with him. As Dan Bylsma said during Road to the Winter Classic, the Caps "don't play defense" - and to me he was right. The Caps didn't play defense back then, didn't under Oates, and hadn't been taking teams to task this season.

I've called for Trotz to be let go, as he was brought on as a defensive-minded coach, yet for some reason the Caps were still playing passive defense.

Whatever system they've decided to employ here in the playoffs is astounding. Offer Trotz the contract, if he's willing.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
I hope he gives it another kick at the can. They’ve broken Thru. And in a pretty convincing fashion.

Yzerman won a lot later in his career. Ovechkin could do the same. As many have noted (Tex says it a lot)...8 plays hard and well for Trotz. Trotz should ride Ovechkin/Backstrom out — and then retire.

Ovechkin was great under every coach, even Adam Oates so it's not like he'll suddenly sandbag it if Trotz is gone.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I post very occasionally on the Caps' board. I'm more of a lurker, but will add two cents when needed...

I got up from the Dallas game on April Fools Day 2014, after being blown out 5-0 while fighting for a playoff spot, and told everyone around me the Adam Oates experiment should be over and take George McPhee with him. As Dan Bylsma said during Road to the Winter Classic, the Caps "don't play defense" - and to me he was right. The Caps didn't play defense back then, didn't under Oates, and hadn't been taking teams to task this season.

I've called for Trotz to be let go, as he was brought on as a defensive-minded coach, yet for some reason the Caps were still playing passive defense.

Whatever system they've decided to employ here in the playoffs is astounding. Offer Trotz the contract, if he's willing.
I would wait to see how this thing turns out.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Even if they won it all the way this year, I still wouldn't want him back (nor would I want Reirden). I just generally think his style of Hockey is an outdated beast and most of the finer points of the evolving game are just not emphasized in how he structures his team.

Though if it's between Trotz and Reirden I suppose I'd prefer Trotz. Nothings giving me confidence Reirden can/will be a good NHL coach.

You have no idea what Reirden's kind of hockey would be. All we know about him for him is that he can consistently coach up defensemen. Otherwise he is an assistant coach running someone else's program

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
You have no idea what Reirden's kind of hockey would be. All we know about him for him is that he can consistently coach up defensemen. Otherwise he is an assistant coach running someone else's program

Right...so he's giving me nothing to warrant confidence he'd be a great bench boss.

Last I heard, particularly last year, Reirden was pretty much all over our defense with who would play and who would sit and how we'd preform. I generally think he's made the wrong decisions when forced to in that regards, though Schmidt and Djoos do look good under him. And our defense was God Awful for loooooooooooong spurts and has only recently seemed to get better (still giving up to many slot chances). There's still just more to it then that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Right...so he's giving me nothing to warrant confidence he'd be a great bench boss.

Last I heard, particularly last year, Reirden was pretty much all over our defense with who would play and who would sit and how we'd preform. I generally think he's made the wrong decisions when forced to in that regards, though Schmidt and Djoos do look good under him. And our defense was God Awful for loooooooooooong spurts and has only recently seemed to get better (still giving up to many slot chances). There's still just more to it then that.

you think Reirden decides who plays and who doesn't?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Within games, yes. Trotz has said so directly IIRC.
please. hook me up with a link to that. Reirden runs the defense bench but he doesn't decide the pairs. He doesn't decide the roles. He doesn't decide the matchups. All that is decided pregame with Trotz.

So, Trotz says he wants Orlov and Niskanen against Stamkos. Its Reirden's job to get 9 and 2 on the ice against Stamkos. Its not his job to decide that Carlson would be the better choice and put him out instead

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
please. hook me up with a link to that. Reirden runs the defense bench but he doesn't decide the pairs. He doesn't decide the roles. He doesn't decide the matchups. All that is decided pregame with Trotz.

So, Trotz says he wants Orlov and Niskanen against Stamkos. Its Reirden's job to get 9 and 2 on the ice against Stamkos. Its not his job to decide that Carlson would be the better choice and put him out instead
He was asked something on the subject and replied basically that that was Todd's area. It would be tough to find, but maybe someone else remembers more specifically. Obviously it's on me/someone to substantiate it for you to accept it...maybe I can find it later.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
So lets bump this thread back up. Lets say Trotz did say he was done. Did he see the writing on the wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad