Rumor: Trotz says he done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I mean, everyone kinda figures that he has to at least get past Pitt to get a contract extension and I'd say if he doesn't get to the finals he's gone regardless of the 2nd round.

He's just never gonna have a better team then last year, if he can't get it done with the best then you're just playing for coin flips coupled with his game style being from a dying age.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Even if you fire him, the core is still bad and not cup worthy. Without an adjustment this team is going nowhere. I don't truly believe that the core of Backstrom, Holtby, Oveckin, Carlson and Kuzy are good enough to win. I'd say trade Backstrom for a high impact winger. Coach is not the true issue here, sorry for destroying your hopes.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Even if you fire him, the core is still bad and not cup worthy. Without an adjustment this team is going nowhere. I don't truly believe that the core of Backstrom, Holtby, Oveckin, Carlson and Kuzy are good enough to win. I'd say trade Backstrom for a high impact winger. Coach is not the true issue here, sorry for destroying your hopes.

Once every few months someone steps up that really see things for what they really are.

Thank You

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

You don't trade Backstrom for a winger and get better. :laugh:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
If it was some variation of that, he started saying "I'm not coming back", not "I'm gone".

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Does anyone seriously believe this?
Yes.

He was asked about it in his post game conference and his answer seemed like he was caught off guard that someone caught this interaction then he basically admitted that he said it but that it wasn't what people think he was talking about. There was no sense of "What are you people talking about? That's crazy. I have no idea what you're referencing." It was like he got caught.

I want Trotz gone, but that this is his mindset in the playoffs is hot garbage.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
They don't call coaching without a contract for next year "a dead man walking" for no reason.

This all falls squarely on Dick Patrick's shoulders. I am convinced more than ever Ted and Brian are merely pawns.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They don't call coaching without a contract for next year "a dead man walking" for no reason.

This all falls squarely on Dick Patrick's shoulders. I am convinced more than ever Ted and Brian are merely pawns.

How do you know what decisions are made by Patrick, Leonsis or GMBM?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Looking at the video again, pretty clear to me Torts said "I hope" initially. I think I also see "contract" in there. Could have been "I hope you get your contract renewed, you deserve it" type thing. He also had that "oh Im sorry" look at the end of the exchange. I'm pretty confident Friedman is correct.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Elaborate please?

Name 2 people that have been in charge of every single playoff failure, in the past 40 years.

Ok, ok. Name 1.

There is only one name. Eventually, his role as president deserves discussion as we see the day to day happenings of the team.

Disclaimer, unless Barry had already decided to retire at the end of this year, BEFORE we expected him to coach this year without an extension in place. A well liked coach is almost always under contract for the following season, for many reasons.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You’re kidding right?

Exhibit A: the tenure of George McPhee

How do you know if Patrick is the one that's been pulling the strings all along? How do we know what type of president he is?

I've seen some people claim that even Leonsis is Patrick's puppet.

It all seems like speculation to me.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I also think you've got to keep in mind the family aspect. Barry has a son that's still school age with down syndrome, they've only ever lived in two cities and the adjustment to DC (well NoVA) was apparently tough for the family. A few months into his first season here Barry said that it had taken a while for his son to adjust to his new school and they felt the school had been under staffing the classroom but now they had a new aide in the classroom so he was happier.

It's so incredibly tough for families with children that have disabilities to move around. I really would not be surprised if Barry hangs it up and stays here after he retires. For all our knocks about him as a coach he is a fantastic human being and I would love to see him stay involved in the philanthropic side of the club. He's the best coach we've ever had, I think our dissatisfaction with him shouldn't obscure that fact.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's possible it's mutual and he was planning to retire at the end of the season regardless of outcome. He may not have wanted an extension.
If I was him I'm not sure I would want an extension either. There is a lot of pressure on him to win but I honestly don't think the Caps have the personnel to succeed in the playoffs. We are full of soft players that have a lot of individual skills. Not as much team skills.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
How do you know if Patrick is the one that's been pulling the strings all along? How do we know what type of president he is?

I've seen some people claim that even Leonsis is Patrick's puppet.

It all seems like speculation to me.
Patrick is a key decision-maker regarding who to hire as GM and for other key roles. The record of failure of those hires speaks for itself. This is how organizations work. The people at the top create the culture and are responsible for things play out on the ground (or ice, in this case).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If you don’t think Patrick is part of the decision making, then why is he even here?

If the argument is he’s not able to call the shots, then he needs to be replaced.

If the argument is he is calling the shots, then the answer is the same. He needs to be replaced.

Add to it that he’s almost 73, and it’s time to retire. Caps needs some fresh blood to orchestrate the last few years of Ovey’s tenure. Someone that will help GMBM get things done and improve the pro scouting group and the rest of it.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Just curious but what specific examples of blame/credit for other teams presidents can those who are now heaping blame on Patrick cite?

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Patrick is a key decision-maker regarding who to hire as GM and for other key roles. The record of failure of those hires speaks for itself. This is how organizations work. The people at the top create the culture and are responsible for things play out on the ground (or ice, in this case).

Sure but we wouldn't be having this conversation if the players did their job last year. We were inches away from success, and I really mean it.

Before Patrick’s arrival, the Capitals never had advanced to postseason play. In his 30-plus seasons with the club, Washington has qualified for the playoffs 26 times – including the team’s run to the Stanley Cup finals in 1998 and the Presidents’ Trophy-winning club in 2009-10, 2015-16, 2016-17.

The Caps have been a playoff team 87% of the time since he was put in charge. The margin between winning and losing in the NHL is incredibly small. Patrick as team president is not very involved in the daily operations of the company. That's GMBM's job, and all his subordinates in the hockey ops department. That's how a hockey team normally runs.

It's not like we have Eugene Melnyk or Peter Pocklington as our owner.

Reactions: Ajax1995
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->