Speculation: Trotz for Sens GM who says no?

Trotz for GM of the Sens who says No?

• Sheldon Plener

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Larry Zeifman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Miszuk

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Anna

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Olivia

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Motion passes

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Barry Trotz not ready to assume a head coaching job .. and is looking for more . Opportunity to hire a quality individual with a great hockey mind who knows what it takes to win.
If this was run up the flag pole of the board making decisions for the Sens these days .. how would they react .. would they recognize the need to improve that position.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
With the way Leblanc speaks about Dorion lately, no changes are coming any time soon. Probably a big reason some would prefer a new ownership group over the current regime.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd take an inanimate object as GM over Dorion at this point, but if we finally get a change in management I hope it's someone with experience.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With the way Leblanc speaks about Dorion lately, no changes are coming any time soon. Probably a big reason some would prefer a new ownership group over the current regime.
Hire Trotz as POHO, then he can fire Dorion, problem solved. LeBlanc shouldn't be involved in Hockey ops side, I don't mind him saying great things about Dorion, it would be weird if he didn't since he's trying the sell a strong future to the fanbase.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hire Trotz as POHO, then he can fire Dorion, problem solved. LeBlanc shouldn't be involved in Hockey ops side, I don't mind him saying great things about Dorion, it would be weird if he didn't since he's trying the sell a strong future to the fanbase.
Agreed and you're probably right about pumping him up and selling to the fanbase, just gives me the impression that in house they're very happy with the current situation with Dorion.

Someone like Trotz to guide the ship would be hard to say no to imo.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I hope we get someone with experience but it sounds like Dorion will be allowed to challenge the all-time record of worst results over the longest period of time by a GM. He could also catapult us into a top 20 all time playoff drought.

Reactions: Cosmix

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I like the concept of this poll but would suggest it's a year too early. I think we see another year of Dorion where he's unconstrained by monetary issues, and it becomes a little more widely accepted that he's just not a great GM. He's fired after we don't make the playoffs and Trotz, fresh off a one-year hiatus and taking care of family issues, is drawn to this team that looks like it needs just a little push to be every bit as successful (and more!) as the Nashville teams where he made his name.

This post brought to you by my crystal ball, Magic 8-Ball and a heaping dose of wishful thinking.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I figure a senior hockey role would best suit a guy who is wanting to move from coach to managing. I’m not sure you just give the guy he keys with zero management experience.

AGM or senior advisor to GM, or some position that get him into the front office and gets the grooming started.

He’s like a retired star player, you still have to groom them for a position.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I figure a senior hockey role would best suit a guy who is wanting to move from coach to managing. I’m not sure you just give the guy he keys with zero management experience.

AGM or senior advisor to GM, or some position that get him into the front office and gets the grooming started.

Speaking of sensible, I hear Trotz is taking some time off. Like minimum two years.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Very valid point. I wonder how much he'd have picked up from Poile in the Nashville days, I remember hearing those two had a pretty tight bond (as you'd imagine would be necessary for the kind of tenure they both had there.)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It would be nice to hire him as an AGM but I don't think that's possible in Ottawa. PD fired PM who was really the only threat to replace him. PD won't go for a hockey guy like Trots in an AGM position. We'll get another contracts guy if anything. And I agree it would be nice to get a guy with experience but regardless of the name in the title .. the "board" would have to make the decision .. which realistically means we have to wait. We have no hockey people to oversee Dorion or crtique his decisions from a hockey perspective. Not ideal by any means.

I'd take an inanimate object as GM over Dorion at this point, but if we finally get a change in management I hope it's someone with experience.
Put any name you want in the title ... Who says no. Who says yes for that matter.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wouldn't mind it. But I wonder how the coaching skills translate or what other experience he has regarding the GM position.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Trotz says no?
kidnap-sacha-baron-cohen.gif

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It is fitting that as the Senators hockey club, a man like Pierre Dorion is in charge while a man like Daniel Alfredsson sits at home.

In Ancient Rome power in the political sphere meant you could become the general of an army having never fought a battle or having a beginner understanding of war. So in many cases connections by birth and willingness to bribe would put incompetent men over competent to disastrous outcome.

Here too Pierre Dorion is a blessed by his connections of his father and his willingness to do Melnyk's dirty work, and put in a position he is plainly not suited for or deserves. While Alfredsson, a pure and natural leader who understood his craft deeply and had proven to be one of the finest tactical thinkers of the game, sits at home twiddling his thumbs.

somethings never change.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This poll? I don't know how to answer it. And I don't think I care to know either.

Trotz for GM is a hell yes for me though.

It would be nice to hire him as an AGM but I don't think that's possible in Ottawa. PD fired PM who was really the only threat to replace him. PD won't go for a hockey guy like Trots in an AGM position. We'll get another contracts guy if anything. And I agree it would be nice to get a guy with experience but regardless of the name in the title .. the "board" would have to make the decision .. which realistically means we have to wait. We have no hockey people to oversee Dorion or crtique his decisions from a hockey perspective. Not ideal by any means.

Put any name you want in the title ... Who says no. Who says yes for that matter.
Uhhh I could be wrong here, but speaking for myself, I think we're assuming in this case that Trotz in = Dorion out.... No?

But agreed, Dorion would be a dead man walking if Trotz got hired as AGM. That would be a ballsy hire 🤣

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If the rumours are true and the financial shackles are being lifted, maybe Dorion won't suck as hard.

Sucking has to do with multiple bad decisions over multiple seasons all taking their accumulative effect until your plan is exposed as terrible. Adding money to it just means you make more expensive mistakes.

Reactions: Cosmix

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Need an owner first....Also would love to see Alfie in some capacity with the team ,ditto for Phillips

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Speaking of sensible, I hear Trotz is taking some time off. Like minimum two years.
He accepted interviews for coaching jobs so I think he may be back sooner in some capacity, likely in about 1 year.

It is fitting that as the Senators hockey club, a man like Pierre Dorion is in charge while a man like Daniel Alfredsson sits at home.

In Ancient Rome power in the political sphere meant you could become the general of an army having never fought a battle or having a beginner understanding of war. So in many cases connections by birth and willingness to bribe would put incompetent men over competent to disastrous outcome.

Here too Pierre Dorion is a blessed by his connections of his father and his willingness to do Melnyk's dirty work, and put in a position he is plainly not suited for or deserves. While Alfredsson, a pure and natural leader who understood his craft deeply and had proven to be one of the finest tactical thinkers of the game, sits at home twiddling his thumbs.

somethings never change.
I think Alfie should start as assistant coach or assistant GM, or advisor before getting a GM role. Like Yzerman was groomed.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He accepted interviews for coaching jobs so I think he may be back sooner in some capacity, likely in about 1 year.

I think Alfie should start as assistant coach or assistant GM, or advisor before getting a GM role. Like Yzerman was groomed.
Yeah Alfie can’t be a GM right now. He should be back in his original role now that WM is gone. Senior advisor to hockey ops or something?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Trotz apparently told Winn that he is going to spend time with his family rather than coach this yr. It's also known that he wants to get into management rather than travel all the time as a coach. My guess would be that he would like to get into management with an established team likely in the US to bring them a cup sooner rather than later. I doubt he ever comes to Ott.

Reactions: Sweatred

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The list of career coaches that transitioned to GM, without any prior experience, and been successful, is not very long…. And it depends on how you define success.

off the top of my head, I can think of Glen Slather……. I’m sure someone can adto this list?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad