Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hart - Getzlaf
Vezina - Rinne
Calder - Forsberg (Ekblad a close 2nd)
Jack Adams - Lavy
Norris - Giordano
Byng - Kane

I'd love for Giordano to win the Hart (went to the same high school as him) but its too hard for a defenseman to win it.

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
rangers are far from toast without nash lmao... but yeah he has been a big part of the team

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Personally, I don't see the Flames making the playoffs. The only current playoff team I can see them unseating would be Winnipeg and that will be a tough fight, especially if Minny picks it up or Dallas can get it together.

In that case, I can definitely see voters giving it to Weber over Giordano. When was the last time a Norris-winner's team failed to make the playoffs?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Why does anyone have Giroux for the Hart? He has a linemate who is also a top scorer in the league and he plays for a bottom feeder. He would have to win the scoring title by a large margin to overcome those factors.

Giordano won't come close to winning either. Getzlaf would be the favourite right now IMO.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Hart - Crosby
Art Ross - Crosby by 10 over Malkin
Norris - giordano
Vezina - price
Calder - Ekblad
Adams - Hartley

Conn Smythe - Alex Galchenyuk :yo:

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Jonas Hiller is a journeyman goalie now? Spending 7 years with team, then signing with a second team in your 8th season in the NHL is far from a journeyman goalie.

Being a Canucks fan I'm sure there's no surprise that I am not fond of the Flames. As for Giordano I have no problem, he is a fine defenceman. There are players far more deserving of the Hart though. If for no other reason than a Defenceman has to have an otherworldly season to even get to the point of a Hart finalist.

Is Giordano not having an otherworldly season?

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
No.

Great season? Yes.

The only seasons worthy of a Hart since Prongers win would be probably Lidstrom in 05/06.

What, the PPG season? Yeah, probably.

However, Nick Lidstrom had Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Shanahan, Holmstrom, Yzerman, Lang, Kronwall, Draper, Franzen and Chelios with him on that team. All pretty good players. Hall of Famers, some of them. That’s not a knock on Lidstrom, who is one of the best defensemen in the history of the league, but Giordano doesn’t have that same talent to bang home his rebounds, to bury his passes, to set him up.

Jerk Store*

Price is a lot more key to Montreal's success than Rinne to Nashville, who actually have a strong system and are getting elite contributions elsewhere. Montreal's system is dump and chase, capitalize on mistakes and have Price make 30 stops a night.

But Rinne's numbers are the best in the league, by a significant margin. He's been the better goalie, Price is more valuable to his team.

Wow... Just no.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
What, the PPG season? Yeah, probably.

However, Nick Lidstrom had Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Shanahan, Holmstrom, Yzerman, Lang, Kronwall, Draper, Franzen and Chelios with him on that team. All pretty good players. Hall of Famers, some of them. That’s not a knock on Lidstrom, who is one of the best defensemen in the history of the league, but Giordano doesn’t have that same talent to bang home his rebounds, to bury his passes, to set him up.

And he was easily their most important player on that team.

I get what your saying, but the Hart trophy is not a true "most valuable to your team" trophy. Otherwise it would go to the best goalie on the worst team every year. There is an element of having to have a great season by league standards, and your team having to have some success. And the precedent for defencemen has been set. You have to have an other-worldly season to be a serious candidate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad