Trophy Predictions

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
With 2015 underway, I thought it’d be apt for me to post some of my trophy predictions for the remainder of the year. Feel free to chip in with yours.

Hart
1. Giordano, CGY - Really has carried his team into a playoff spot thus far.
2. Nash, NYR - Yeah, without him, NYR is toast.
3. Price, MTL - Best goalie in the world right now.
4. Rinne, NSH - Close second to Price. Bows below because of Weber.
5. Seguin, DAL - If his team gets going and he can carry them, he moves up.

Calder
1. Forsberg, NSH - Skilled, does it all, carries Nashville’s offence.
2. Gaudreau, CGY - Would be a runaway #1 if not for Forsberg.
3. Ekblad, FLA - Pillar keeps Florida ticking.
4. Hoffman, OTT - Really established himself as an offensive, but also defensive, threat.
5. Allen, STL - Helped solidify STL crease in absence of Elliott.

Jack Adams
1. Laviolette, NSH - Yeah, he wins.
2. Hartley, CGY - Again, would be runaway #1 if not for the surprise that is Nashville.
3. Maurice, WPG - The Jets are flying again because of him.
4. Desjardins, VAN - What a bounce back!
5. Johnston, PIT - Although he has more skill to work with, he makes it click.

Vezina
1. Rinne, NSH - Has best stats, and sure reminds everyone what it was like without him last year.
2. Price, MTL - Is carrying MTL to playoffs again. Stellar.
3. Fleury, PIT - Behind only Rinne in wins.
4. Quick, LAK - 3rd in shutouts. LAK has points in 72% of games that he’s played.
5. Luongo, FLA - Sparkling .923 SV%. Leading team to playoffs?

Norris
1. Giordano, CGY - Any questions?
2. Weber, NSH - With Rinne, carrying team to playoff berth.
3. Doughty, LAK - World-class D-Man, great possession, point producer.
4. Keith, CHI - Workhorse who puts up points and is a possession monster.
5. Shattenkirk, STL - Second only to Giordano in D points.

Byng
1. Gaudreau - 0 PIM. WOW!
2. Kane - 2 PIM, and immensely skilled, like Gaudreau - always in the thick of it.
3. Stepan - 2 PIM, and not the softest guy.
4. Couture - 2 PIM. Also very skilled.
5. St. Louis - 10 PIM. Mercy vote.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Kinda confusing how you have Price ahead of Rinne for the Hart, yet Rinne ahead of Price for the vezina haha

Price is a lot more key to Montreal's success than Rinne to Nashville, who actually have a strong system and are getting elite contributions elsewhere. Montreal's system is dump and chase, capitalize on mistakes and have Price make 30 stops a night.

But Rinne's numbers are the best in the league, by a significant margin. He's been the better goalie, Price is more valuable to his team.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Price is a lot more key to Montreal's success than Rinne to Nashville, who actually have a strong system and are getting elite contributions elsewhere. Montreal's system is dump and chase, capitalize on mistakes and have Price make 30 stops a night.

But Rinne's numbers are the best in the league, by a significant margin. He's been the better goalie, Price is more valuable to his team.

Nashville has the same group of D-men as last year, and the Preds sucked w/o Rinne so i don't really understand this argument

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Nashville has the same group of D-men as last year, and the Preds sucked w/o Rinne so i don't really understand this argument

Look at their 1st line last year vs. this year. Look at their possession numbers last year vs. this year. Rinne is absolutely Hart caliber this year, but I'd argue that Price is more key to his team's success.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Looks solid, don't really agree with your Hart ranks though but not really bad either.

alexny

Jun 15, 2014
Good picks, but I think Getzlaf is having a season worthy of a Hart nomination, and I prefer Weber for the Norris.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
With 2015 underway, I thought it’d be apt for me to post some of my trophy predictions for the remainder of the year. Feel free to chip in with yours.

Hart
1. Giordano, CGY - Really has carried his team into a playoff spot thus far.
2. Nash, NYR - Yeah, without him, NYR is toast.
3. Price, MTL - Best goalie in the world right now.
4. Rinne, NSH - Close second to Price. Bows below because of Weber.
5. Seguin, DAL - If his team gets going and he can carry them, he moves up.

Calder
1. Forsberg, NSH - Skilled, does it all, carries Nashville’s offence.
2. Gaudreau, CGY - Would be a runaway #1 if not for Forsberg.
3. Ekblad, FLA - Pillar keeps Florida ticking.
4. Hoffman, OTT - Really established himself as an offensive, but also defensive, threat.
5. Allen, STL - Helped solidify STL crease in absence of Elliott.

Jack Adams
1. Laviolette, NSH - Yeah, he wins.
2. Hartley, CGY - Again, would be runaway #1 if not for the surprise that is Nashville.
3. Maurice, WPG - The Jets are flying again because of him.
4. Desjardins, VAN - What a bounce back!
5. Johnston, PIT - Although he has more skill to work with, he makes it click.

Vezina
1. Rinne, NSH - Has best stats, and sure reminds everyone what it was like without him last year.
2. Price, MTL - Is carrying MTL to playoffs again. Stellar.
3. Fleury, PIT - Behind only Rinne in wins.
4. Quick, LAK - 3rd in shutouts. LAK has points in 72% of games that he’s played.
5. Luongo, FLA - Sparkling .923 SV%. Leading team to playoffs?

Norris
1. Giordano, CGY - Any questions?
2. Weber, NSH - With Rinne, carrying team to playoff berth.
3. Doughty, LAK - World-class D-Man, great possession, point producer.
4. Keith, CHI - Workhorse who puts up points and is a possession monster.
5. Shattenkirk, STL - Second only to Giordano in D points.

Byng
1. Gaudreau - 0 PIM. WOW!
2. Kane - 2 PIM, and immensely skilled, like Gaudreau - always in the thick of it.
3. Stepan - 2 PIM, and not the softest guy.
4. Couture - 2 PIM. Also very skilled.
5. St. Louis - 10 PIM. Mercy vote.

I agree with a lot of this

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
There's no way Giordano wins the Hart. None.

My top 3 favorites would be Giroux, Getzlaf and Crosby.

Weber is the favorite for the Norris, too.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No Getzlaf nod for the Hart is a bad joke. Perry went down with injury and he had to center a plug like Bourque and the snakebitten Smith Pelly and he still caught fire with what...22 points in 13 games? If we're talking the strictest definition of the Hart, Getzlaf is absolutely up there right now. He's willed his injury riddled team to wins.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Weber favourite for the Norris in ****ing Bizarro World maybe. Everyone loves Giordano this year. Barring injury, it's his to lose.

Based on what? Points?

Yeah, he got of to a hot start scoring. Big whoop.

Weber plays more minutes on the best defensive team in the league.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Based on what? Points?

Then he'll get his rightful nomination and not win.

Don't act like Giordano is MA Bergeron or something. :laugh: There's a reason why he and Brodie are matched up against the toughest competition every time. His points are just a bonus. Out scoring guys like Tavares, Ovechkin, and your boys the Sedins.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Any Hart discussion without Getzlaf is insane, if season ended today, he should win.

I go Getzlaf, Gio, Seguin as my nominees. HM - Nash

Norris - Gio
Vezina - Rinne
Calder - Forsberg
Adams - Flames make the playoffs, Hartley, they don't I have no idea.

*all of the above as of today

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Hart: Giordano, Giroux, Price
Calder: Forsberg, Gaudreau, Ekblad
Norris: Giordano, Suter, Shattenkirk
Vezina: Rinne, Price, Fleury
Jack Adams: Laviolette, Hartley, Desjardins
Byng: Kane, Gaudreau, St.Louis

Bolded are the winners.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Is there any non-Flames fans picking Giordano for the Hart? :laugh:

The flames were a team almost everyone picked to finish in the bottom 3 and most likely last in the western conference. Giordano has carried them not just defensively but carried the offense as well behind a group of inexperienced forwards and infront of a pair of journeymen goaltenders. Because of him the Flames find themselves in the thick of a playoff race they weren't expected to be anywhere near.

Feel free to make your case for someone else rather then just trashing other peoples selections. It's definitely a wide open race.

As for non-flames fans? TSN picked him for the Hart at the quarter pole. I think the Flames loosing streak definitely brought him back to the pack though.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
Based on what? Points?

He's also amazing defensively and is getting points. Also if Calgary didn't have him we would be with the Oilers at the bottom of the league. Not really a hot start because he was at the same pace last year (ppg)

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
Based on what? Points?

There's no way Giordano wins the Hart. None.

My top 3 favorites would be Giroux, Getzlaf and Crosby.

Weber is the favorite for the Norris, too.

Is there any non-Flames fans picking Giordano for the Hart? :laugh:

Someone is a Flames and Gio hater

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The flames were a team almost everyone picked to finish in the bottom 3 and most likely last in the western conference. Giordano has carried them not just defensively but carried the offense as well behind a group of inexperienced forwards and infront of a pair of journeymen goaltenders. Because of him the Flames find themselves in the thick of a playoff race they weren't expected to be anywhere near.

Feel free to make your case for someone else rather then just trashing other peoples selections. It's definitely a wide open race.

As for non-flames fans? TSN picked him for the Hart at the quarter pole. I think the Flames loosing streak definitely brought him back to the pack though.

Jonas Hiller is a journeyman goalie now? Spending 7 years with team, then signing with a second team in your 8th season in the NHL is far from a journeyman goalie.

Someone is a Flames and Gio hater

Being a Canucks fan I'm sure there's no surprise that I am not fond of the Flames. As for Giordano I have no problem, he is a fine defenceman. There are players far more deserving of the Hart though. If for no other reason than a Defenceman has to have an otherworldly season to even get to the point of a Hart finalist.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
Jonas Hiller is a journeyman goalie now? Spending 7 years with team, then signing with a second team in your 8th season in the NHL is far from a journeyman goalie.

Being a Canucks fan I'm sure there's no surprise that I am not fond of the Flames. As for Giordano I have no problem, he is a fine defenceman. There are players far more deserving of the Hart though. If for no other reason than a Defenceman has to have an otherworldly season to even get to the point of a Hart finalist.

The MVP goes to the most valuable player to his team, who clearly Gio is, and also you also said that he is not the Norris frontrunner, witch is just ignorant. Also, why would Croby be a finalist and he has not even been the best or most valuable player on there team.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The MVP goes to the most valuable player to his team, who clearly Gio is, and also you also said that he is not the Norris frontrunner, witch is just ignorant. Also, why would Croby be a finalist and he has not even been the best or most valuable player on there team.

This is a predictions thread, ain't it? I'd never count Crosby out with more than half the season remaining. I also think Weber is more consistent of the two, and what stands out about Giordano is the offensive numbers, which will be hard to maintain.

And we aren't discussing what the definition you think should apply to the Hart trophy, we are predicting who will win it in real life. A defenceman hasn't won it since Pronger 15 years ago, when he lead all defencemen in points and played over 30 minutes a game, about 1:30 more than the next highest player in the league.

Like I said, a defenceman has to have an otherworldly year to even get serious consideration for the Hart. It just ain't happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad