Trocheck screaming at Sutherland after blatant missed call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm more focused on Trocheck screaming in Sutherland's face here. Have we ever seen a player do that? I think Trocheck was right with being mad, but he's going to be hearing from the league about that.

Missed calls obviously happen and this one seemed pretty egregious, but Trocheck screaming in a refs face like a baseball manager about to be thrown out is definitely a new one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lmfao the Rags had literally four uncalled penalties in that first period. Then had three consecutive game changing calls. Stop crying.

Yes, Empoleon8771 noted New York Rangers fan.

Anyway, this thread is intended to be more about Trocheck's reaction, which is something I don't think I've ever seen before in the NHL. The point was more on Trocheck screaming at the ref like he was a MLB manager disputing a bad call, which is something that I don't ever recall seeing in the NHL.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City

I'm more focused on Trocheck screaming in Sutherland's face here. Have we ever seen a player do that? I think Trocheck was right with being mad, but he's going to be hearing from the league about that.

Missed calls obviously happen and this one seemed pretty egregious, but Trocheck screaming in a refs face like a baseball manager about to be thrown out is definitely a new one.

As he well f***ing should.

The referees allegedly call penalties to keep players safe. When you're hit in the numbers and go face-first into the boards, that's textbook boarding.

I doubt it changes the outcome of the game with 15 seconds left or so, but you can't let a player get hit that dangerously and do nothing.

Isles live rent free in the rangers organizations heads. Give me the rangers all day in round 1.
...you do?

Honestly, we don't even think about you.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

You're worried about screaming at the ref? If this was over a slash or a trip then I can hear your concern, but this is one of those plays that if trocheck doesn't get his head up we could be looking at a stretcher on the ice. The play is flat out dangerous and trocheck has ever right to voice something like that that can literally paralyze the guy. His back was turned for a prolonged time and he's looking for a puck in the air and you're going to allow a player to bury him from behind head first towards the boards? Asinine...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You're worried about screaming at the ref? If this was over a slash or a trip then I can hear your concern, but this is one of those plays that if trocheck doesn't get his head up we could be looking at a stretcher on the ice. The play is flat out dangerous and trocheck has ever right to voice something like that that can literally paralyze the guy. His back was turned for a prolonged time and he's looking for a puck in the air and you're going to allow a player to bury him from behind head first towards the boards? Asinine...

No? I explicitly said Trocheck was right for being pissed about the call.

Again, I'm saying I don't think I've ever seen this happen in the NHL before and I imagine the NHL doesn't take kindly to it. The point of this thread was that it was something unique that I didn't see before in the NHL, not to bury Trocheck for being rightfully mad about a blatant missed call.

Reactions: Tryamw

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
As he well f***ing should.

The referees allegedly call penalties to keep players safe. When you're hit in the numbers and go face-first into the boards, that's textbook boarding.

I doubt it changes the outcome of the game with 15 seconds left or so, but you can't let a player get hit that dangerously and do nothing.

...you do?

Honestly, we don't even think about you.
When the man in charge of the department of player safety was a literal goon, there is no reason to believe there going to be any accountability down the chain.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Can't wait for the playoffs, there will be half a dozen missed calls or phantom calls both ways.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

Again, I'm saying I don't think I've ever seen this happen in the NHL before and I imagine the NHL doesn't take kindly to it. The point of this thread was that it was something unique that I didn't see before in the NHL, not to bury Trocheck for being rightfully mad about a blatant missed call.
Players yell at refs all the time. It's been caught on hot mics many times. Honestly Sutherland defuses the whole thing by tell him he was looking at the puck in the air to see if it hits the netting and missed the play. At that point trocheck just shits on him for missing it and moves on, but you can tell based on his reaction that Sutherland said something to discredit the severity of the play. That's his own mistake. Sutherland is generally a decent dude so I'm sure he will be wearing this when he sees the replay.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Refs deserve nearly all the flack they get, a bad call lowlight reel at seasons end would be extensive, likely shocking. Probably thousands of instances, impacting nearly every game.
Big egos, but no accountability.

Save the "they make good calls too" defense for someone who cares, that's the job they get paid well to do.
No praise for doing what you're supposed to.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Page 1 is already making me regret starting this thread :laugh:

The point wasn't to complain about officiating, nor was it to bury Trocheck for screaming at Sutherland for an obvious missed call. I just thought it was something different that I didn't recall seeing to this level in the NHL. It was like a MLB manager screaming at an ump after getting ejected, it's just not something you see happen in the NHL often.

Don't read anything more into it than that, there is no other intention here beyond saying "oh wow that was different".

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City

I stand by it. He had every right to go off on that one. It's a player safety issue above all else. He was so animated I'm surprised he didn't throw a punch. Hell, I'd have given him bonus points for the old Bobby Cox hat-in-the-dirt and storm off.

I don't think it changes the outcome of the game, but I thought we were pretty clear on the "you absolutely have to call that" part because of the concussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad