Trinity countersuing Melnyk for 1 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Not sure why people are so happy about this.

All this means is all this stuff isn't coming to an end any time soon. I think some people really don't understand how these processes work.

It will definitely be interesting how they prove "true aim"

The Senators hockey team is the absolute loser in all of this.

I have a hard time celebrating this, as much as I'd love Melnyk gone ASAP, this confirms it won't be happening anytime soon.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

All this means is all this stuff isn't coming to an end any time soon. I think some people really don't understand how these processes work.

I have a hard time celebrating this, as much as I'd love Melnyk gone ASAP, this confirms it won't be happening anytime soon.

I think this means he won't be the owner likely long term, but they can't afford hundred of millions in contracts soon

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
this was most certainly coming with the only difference being Melnyk's suit appears to have been planned for some time and the Ruddy suit had to come together quickly in reaction

it'll be interesting to see how it plays out

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
Merry Xmas! Who said being a billionaire was fun?

I only hope all these legal proceedings force a sale. There are other things I want to wish, but I am forced to live by the creed to never directly wish ill will on others.

From where I stand, both cases should be thrown out. Terms and conditions for both parties were simply not defined and they walked so far into this without defining this partnership. Maybe the NCC should be suing both of them-though they have egg on their face for not uncovering this gaffe before dropping their only leverage, devcore.

I said it before that Melnyk might have had an ethical point on 900 Albert, but not a legal one. Same goes for Ruddy. The outlined issues in his counter suit bring up ethical questions but how do you walk into such a massive project without defining these terms of the partnership? One could argue, he may have had these terms defined with Leeder but Melnyk changed them. If that were the case, Ruddy does have a legal foot to stand on.

We'll see how this plays out. I'm betting both get thrown out but if anyone is actually getting any positive ruling out of this, it will be Ruddy.

Reactions: DrEasy

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

But there will be an ending.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
On a semi-related note, can Melnyk take Garrioch with him when he gets booted out of the door? Tired of that beluga sized blowhard being Eugene's personal mouth piece/spin doctor.

Fully expecting an article from him any minute explaining how this countersuit is frivolous with no ground to stand on.

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Jesus...and I hate getting my taxes reassessed...I couldn't imagine getting that served up to me! 1 BILLION DOLLARS, wow. I know this is normally settled out of courts and generally the quoted amounts are far and above what is normally decided on but I feel that this would be crushing for EM to swallow. Beginning of the real end for him?
This made me burst out laughing at work. Thanks for making my day haha

Reactions: CTC

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Is this what happened?
  • Melnyk enters into RLG saying all the right things: "We can fund our portion, no problem, hakuna mattata"
  • Trinity/NCC being doing things (ie. spending $$) to get the project rolling
  • When time comes to make decisions on how to split the pie, agreement can't be reached
  • Melnyk asks city for money, wants unreasonable concessions from NCC/City/Trinity
  • Ruddy/Melnyk having shouting match
  • Melnyk has (potentially never had) no intention/means of funding his portion of arena
  • RLG about to lose deal, lawsuits inc
If it shook down something like this, this looks really bad on Melnyk. It really looks like he overplayed his hand, thinking that because he holds the Ottawa Senators trump card, he can take as many concessions as he wants, but the City/NCC/Trinity just weren't having it. I'll hold full judgement until maybe there are more details about both lawsuits, but it really looks like Eugene Melnyk dropped the ball here. And given his track record, it's just not that surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad