OT - NO POLITICS Trick or Treat, Foliage, and possibly Snow Oh NO!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
I have to be very careful with $$$. I had originally planned to work a few more years. I still have a mortgage. The only lottery I play is in a pool with folks I used to work with. We all throw a buck a week in.

There were 4 of us in Planning. One left a couple of years ago and the remaining 3 "absorbed" the work. One moved 2 years ago to Florida and they had someone who was supposed to start and never showed up. ...so two of us "absorbed" the work. The last person I was working with went out on medical....I was working through lunch and extra hours. I could not take any time off. The person on medical returned for 2 weeks (after being out almost a year) and dropped dead (she was 7 years younger than me).

I asked for help and finally last March told my boss I was retiring in July. He said "THIS July?" .I was exhausted. They have hired 3 people.

I miss the people but not the stress . with all of the material shortages/ supply chain issues it is hell there.

I packed it in at the end of June.
Best. Decision. Ever.

Got a new boss whose heavy handed reputation and lack of moral fiber was very well established. Told me he was going to take the department from, using one of his misguided analogies, Michigan to Harvard. Being run more like Podunk Community College now, morale is in the crapper and he has been called out for bullying behavior. Could see this happening a mile away, only regret I have is I picked 'He'll screw this up by December" in the pool and I was late by a few months.

As you said miss the people but not the overtly negative environment.

Last edited:

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
I like it ! Other things are scaring the shit out of me and making me so sad but I like being retired.

Don't let stuff you can't control worry you, being good to those around you generally drives positive outcomes. I try to avoid overwhelming negativity so I limit my daily news intake to what enlightens/interests me and make sure to shut off the game day thread right after puck drop, lol.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
SO my 2 cats are hiding. I am having a new floor put into my bathroom. Next will be a backsplash for the kitchen. I have so many things I want to do . Now I have the time but need to win the lottery.

I had new lights installed in the bathroom. Patrice hid under the bed the entire time but Charlie was quite curious according to the electrician.

If I can come up with money I'm going to have the bedrooms & living room floors replaced. Hopefully I win Powerball this week...

armydoc19

Sep 5, 2008
One local farm is selling Christmas trees starting at $80 this year.

I will stick with my $36 Target tree that I can put up whenever I want
I hear ya. We've been using the same 7ft artificial tree for the past 17 years. Still has at least a few more years left in it too. I only remember getting a real Christmas tree once when I was a kid, and my dad said "never again."

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I hear ya. We've been using the same 7ft artificial tree for the past 17 years. Still has at least a few more years left in it too. I only remember getting a real Christmas tree once when I was a kid, and my dad said "never again."
We always had a real trees growing up. My apartment is far too dry to have a real one plus it is too much of a hassle

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I put our tree up while the Bride was in the hospital.
Not decorated yet but gave her a smile when she saw it.
Will decorate this week.

E4A90206-7F49-4AD1-BEF0-5AA126008BCF.jpeg

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
No Christmas tree in this house for the next few years, with an energetic and curious toddler ruling the house, it would not be wise. We bought a garland for the mantle last year with lights and that looks pretty nice and more importantly SAFE!
Not coming down from the attic until well into December though!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I still love a real tree. I love the smell. Last year (COVID) I spent alone and did not put up any Christmas stuff. I hope to find a tree that isn't too expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gee Wally

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Surprised my dad with my aunt last night and got tickets to Steely Dan at the Orpheum. He’s been doing album shows and last night was The Royal Scam. I think that’s the 7th time I’ve been to a Steely Dan show and I’m still waiting to see Deacon Blues live.

it was a nice time though. I don’t have a great relationship with my dad so stuff like this is more meaningful.

On the other end of the spectrum, tonight my husband and I are going to see letters to cleo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad