Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Zegras already has two 60+ point years and a high of 65, Newhook has yet to eclipse 35 (yes I realize he paced for more). I know I'm not arguing with you here, but those suggesting there isn't a sizable gap in value, are definitely out to lunch. One can become a really useful/high end support player but the other has star potential and has proven way more at the NHL level.

Like I said, I see Newhook at a potential 60 pts forward and Zegras as 60-80 range if they both reach their ceiling during their prime... neither of them have reach their prime yet.

The gap is debatable but yeah, I value Zegras's offensive potential more.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pump the brake with Newhook. He's clearly not on Zegras level.

Well, that would be your comprehension problem because most will agree Zegras is worth more but then fans like you will miss comprehend what is being said because you want a fight or to belittle on purpose.

Who said Newhook is on Zegras's level?

Also, it doesn't really matter now. Several Ducks fans say they would target a different type of return. The latest conversations is what the gap is between Newhook/Zegras but that becomes a side debate after a declined trade idea. HF boards is fun eh?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal pod cast bring us zegras and do mock trades like

Anderson, jets 1st and Harris for zegras

And some fans run with it

Unfortunately the Habs fan base is massive and the gullible fans do fall for the click baits far to often. All fan bases have these types but we just have more of them. Make no mistake, most reasonable Habs fans do not think that package will work. The only thing I see working is one of Slaf or Guhle and we won't do that. Then there is our 5th OA pick but not sure what the Ducks are thinking about another pick when they want to bring in talent now.

How much are the die hard fans interested in Zegras? I'd say there is interest but more like trying to acquire from a position of strength. And a lot of Habs fans would have a more gritty target and are drooling over Lindstrom as our pick.

Just another trade distraction that will linger on more and more. I personally don't see the Ducks trading Zegras this summer but there is always a chance. I think you guys will need patience because it's not going away. The media will continue to focus on it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Unfortunately the Habs fan base is massive and the gullible fans do fall for the click baits far to often. All fan bases have these types but we just have more of them. Make no mistake, most reasonable Habs fans do not think that package will work. The only thing I see working is one of Slaf or Guhle and we won't do that. Then there is our 5th OA pick but not sure what the Ducks are thinking about another pick when they want to bring in talent now.

How much are the die hard fans interested in Zegras? I'd say there is interest but more like trying to acquire from a position of strength. And a lot of Habs fans would have a more gritty target and are drooling over Lindstrom as our pick.

Just another trade distraction that will linger on more and more. I personally don't see the Ducks trading Zegras this summer but there is always a chance. I think you guys will need patience because it's not going away. The media will continue to focus on it.

Oh 100%
I read the Montreal threads and there’s plenty of fans there with rational thoughts

Whether it’s zegras would cost too much or
He’s not a great fit

Unfortunately the ones with the horrible takes are the ones that tend to escape out to the main boards lol

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh 100%
I read the Montreal threads and there’s plenty of fans there with rational thoughts

Whether it’s zegras would cost too much or
He’s not a great fit

Unfortunately the ones with the horrible takes are the ones that tend to escape out to the main boards lol

If I was to bet money on it, Zegras stays with the Ducks after the bumpy contract and injury season rollercoaster ride this past year.

Ducks open to moving him but it's more about 1/1 type trade that brings in a similar talent in another area on the ice. This is likely the conversation the Habs and Ducks GM's already had and they have moved on.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If I was to bet money on it, Zegras stays with the Ducks after the bumpy contract and injury season rollercoaster ride this past year.

Ducks open to moving him but it's more about 1/1 type trade that brings in a similar talent in another area on the ice. This is likely the conversation the Habs and Ducks GM's already had and they have moved on.

Ya if he’s moved it’s because it makes sense for Anaheim. But ultimately i don’t see him being moved unless we get like celebrini

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ya if he’s moved it’s because it makes sense for Anaheim. But ultimately i don’t see him being moved unless we get like celebrini

If you get Celebrini, can we start offering you quantity for quality again on Zegras?

(joking)

giphy.gif

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If you get Celebrini, can we start offering you quantity for quality again on Zegras?

(joking)

giphy.gif
In that scenario I think it would make sense, if the goal is flipping pieces for like a necas type

Tho I suppose we could prob just swap zegras for necas

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Ducks open to moving him but it's more about 1/1 type trade that brings in a similar talent in another area on the ice.

Given the Ducks' systemic depth the move that makes the most sense is the next time a star becomes available they could move on it. Something that actually moves them into the next level, not something that extends the rebuild.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I would say Newhook is a 60 pts player if he reaches his ceiling and Zegras is 60-80 if he reaches his. There is a gap but the gap will vary depending on what fan you ask

All good. You rather a different return. I get it.

See post above. I bet you think Newhook is a 40 or 50 pts forward and Zegras is 80. I would say Zegras has the edge for sure but the gap between them is debatable.
No I don't think Newhook is a 40-50 point forward, I think Newhook is a 30 point forward until he proves otherwise. Newhook's career high is 34 points and averages 38.54 points per 82 games in the NHL.

Zegras career high is 65 points (nearly double!) and averages 59.86 points per 82 games in the NHL. Heck Zegras worst NHL season to date is at a pace (0.48 ppg) that is better then Newhook's career PPG (0.47).

Zegras and Newhook are not even remotely close at this stage in their careers. If Zegras was a Montreal player there is absolutely no chance you would entertain the idea that Newhook and Zegras are remotely close as players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No I don't think Newhook is a 40-50 point forward, I think Newhook is a 30 point forward until he proves otherwise. Newhook's career high is 34 points and averages 38.54 points per 82 games in the NHL.

Zegras career high is 65 points (nearly double!) and averages 59.86 points per 82 games in the NHL. Heck Zegras worst NHL season to date is at a pace (0.48 ppg) that is better then Newhook's career PPG (0.47).

Zegras and Newhook are not even remotely close at this stage in their careers. If Zegras was a Montreal player there is absolutely no chance you would entertain the idea that Newhook and Zegras are remotely close as players.

Not engaging on this because it's pointless. You and others rather a different type of return and you come along later to bounce it forward again. This causes stupid post wars.

You're posting the current numbers which we all know. You wasted your time on top of a trade idea you didn't like. Quack somewhere else

Let me repeat what I said a few times now. I believe Newhook is a 60 pts forward if he reaches his ceiling and Zegras is a 60-80 pts forward if he reaches his ceiling. Yes, I'm looking at who they both are today and guessing on who they become. Posting the current stats is something most of us already know bud.

You want to decline the trade but then also devalue the player you don't want. This is the part I dislike about HF boards.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
Not engaging on this because it's pointless. You and others rather a different type of return and you come along later to bounce it forward again. This causes stupid post wars.

You're posting the current numbers which we all know. You wasted your time on top of a trade idea you didn't like. Quack somewhere else

Let me repeat what I said a few times now. I believe Newhook is a 60 pts forward if he reaches his ceiling and Zegras is a 60-80 pts forward if he reaches his ceiling. Yes, I looking at who they both are today and guessing on who they become. Posting the current stats is something most of us already know bud.
Zegras is ALREADY a 60 point forward, that is not a debate. Zegras is a much better player and has a much higher ceiling then Newhook, bud.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Zegras is ALREADY a 60 point forward, that is not a debate. Zegras ceiling is much higher then Newhook, bud.

Who has said Zegras is not a 60 pts forward? You're making up an argument because you want to fight.

If both reach their ceiling level (You tell me your guesses):
* I say Newhook is a 60 pts forward. Lets say 50-60
* I say Zegras is a 60-80 pts forward.

If you miss comprehend this again, you go on ignore mode and well deserved. Stop trying to create a fight and just list the ranges in comparison to mine. It's not that difficult.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
Who has said Zegras is not a 60 pts forward? You're making up an argument because you want to fight.

If you miss comprehend this again, you go on ignore mode and well deserved.
You just said that Zegras' ceiling is 60-80 points.....if Zegras is already a 60 point player and still is not in his prime, it's safe to say his ceiling is higher then that of 60 points (at a minimum).

Maybe you are the one who should start reading your own posts before throwing the toys out of the pram.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

If you miss comprehend this again, you go on ignore mode and well deserved. Stop trying to create a fight and just list the ranges in comparison to mine. It's not that difficult.
I think the distinction is that newhook COULD be a 60 pt forward. Zegras is. Zegras COULD be an 80 pt forward. You gave a range for one player and not the other. I think the fair comparison is to say Newhook is a 35-60 pt player if you're going to suggest Zegras is only a 60-80 pt player. It changes the optics quite significantly.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

You said he can be a 60-80 point guy if he reaches his potential. He is already a 65 point guy, so unless you think he hit his potential as age 21 then it is a little disingenuous. He obviously has room to growth still and he has already exceeded that "potential".

Saying Newhook is a 50-60 point potential guy is fair since he has never done it. Ya he had a 50 point pace for half a season, but he has never done it.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
I like Trevor Zegras and I want my team to trade for him.

I think the best way to arrange that is to go on a message board and say he's not very good.

That will diminish his value and make it easier for my team to acquire him without offering fair value.

I like Trevor Zegras and therefore Trevor Zegras sucks.

Reactions: Kalv and Rec T

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You want to decline the trade but then also devalue the player you don't want. This is the part I dislike about HF boards.
Nobody is devaluing Newhook. They just aren’t buying your overinflated value that he’s never reached. He currently does not come close to comparing equally with Z. Your belief that he might one day be a 60 point player is 100% meaningless in a trade. The two aren’t close in value today, and that’s what trades are based on.

Having to explain this is what I dislike about HF.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Let me repeat what I said a few times now. I believe Newhook is a 60 pts forward if he reaches his ceiling and Zegras is a 60-80 pts forward if he reaches his ceiling. Yes, I'm looking at who they both are today and guessing on who they become. Posting the current stats is something most of us already know bud.

In his defense it is weird to say zegras is a 60-80 point player potentially, when his full season average is 63… and is kinda devaluing zegras by saying he can be a 60 point player when he’s already that. I’d say with comfort zegeas is an 80 point potential player

Idk what newhooks potential is, he’s still young but he was moved cause he wasnt panning out in Colorado…. But his career high points is 34…. Sure he was at a 50 point pace this year, but it’s a bit dangerous to use pacing.

Remember all the talks about cole caufields pace? He was basically a lock for 40 goals + 82 points under MSL.

I don’t think newhook is someone that moves the needle for zegras

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad