Trevor Timmins discussion, when does he get blamed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Oreilly 2nd round.

Kostitsyn was a massive winger with tons of skill. Can't blame him at all for that. Still wasn't a bust... At all.

Bottom line is we have a contending team with a core consisting of drafted player. We can nit pick all the little things that that didnt go our way or we can look at the overall picture.

Now imagine having mcdonagh...

Please don't. My girlfriend told me she's pretty sure one night I was talking **** to Bob Gainey in a dream about some McDana guy he traded...

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
One last thing and I will look into the David Fischer pick in depth. He was drafted #20 in the 2006 draft. This is how the Habs drafted in the first two rounds of four previous years. (In 2000 and 2001 they drafted Hainsey and Komisarek)

2002- #14 Higgins, #45 Linhart (D)
2003- #10 Kostitsyn, #40 Urquhart, #61 Lapierre
2004- #18 Chipchura
2005- #5 Price, #45 Latendresse

So clearly a defenceman was due to be picked in this draft. Now if you look at all of the defencemen who were picked after Fischer and played a minimum of 100 games it is a pretty short list.

Petry (45), M. Weber (57), McBain (63), Strait (65), Gryba (68), Peckham (75), MacDonald (160)

Their were a total of 63 defencemen drafted after Fischer was selected and only seven of those managed to play 100 NHL games. So in the long run was it a bad pick? Sure but the pool of players available to fill their biggest need was not very deep. Plus people always talk about how Giroux was available but keep in mind that the Habs were labeled as Smurfs back in these days and drafting a small player was most likely not on their to do list.

One last point. Between the Fischer pick and the Petry pick their were eight defencemen drafted between them. Those eight players which would have all been late first or early second round picks played a total of 156 NHL games. Fischer was the fourth defencemen picked in the draft. The second and third combined for only 26 NHL games as well. It is not like Montreal was the only team to strike out in that draft.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
One last thing and I will look into the David Fischer pick in depth. He was drafted #20 in the 2006 draft. This is how the Habs drafted in the first two rounds of four previous years. (In 2000 and 2001 they drafted Hainsey and Komisarek)

2004- #18 Chipchura

So clearly a defenceman was due to be picked in this draft. Now if you look at all of the defencemen who were picked after Fischer and played a minimum of 100 games it is a pretty short list.

Petry (45), M. Weber (57), McBain (63), Strait (65), Gryba (68), Peckham (75), MacDonald (160)

Their were a total of 63 defencemen drafted after Fischer was selected and only seven of those managed to play 100 NHL games. So in the long run was it a bad pick? Sure but the pool of players available to fill their biggest need was not very deep. Plus people always talk about how Giroux was available but keep in mind that the Habs were labeled as Smurfs back in these days and drafting a small player was most likely not on their to do list.

One last point. Between the Fischer pick and the Petry pick their were eight defencemen drafted between them. Those eight players which would have all been late first or early second round picks played a total of 156 NHL games. Fischer was the fourth defencemen picked in the draft. The second and third combined for only 26 NHL games as well. It is not like Montreal was the only team to strike out in that draft.

...that still haunts my dreams...but at least we didn't draft Huge Speciman, so there's always a bright side...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

2004- #18 Chipchura

Good thing then that you should NEVER draft for needs. As a need will be filled only if the player makes it. Unless you are absolutely sure that the player WILL fill the need, and since the need that you can target is right now, you also will not fill a present need with a player you know still has at least 4 to 5 years before he starts playing for you, mind you not even filling a need as he will only be at the start of his career.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
There is no excuses for drafting an overager, undrafted, skills less plug like Crisp in 2013 with our freaking 3r round pick instead of home guy Duclair. None.

Couldn't agree more I'm still confused there was zero upside to Crisp + we had draft McCarron and JDLR earlier if they don't pan out has top 6 player they could be bottom 6 grinder so why draft a 4th liner especially looking at player that were still on the board Duclair, Buchnevich, Hayden, Yakimov, Cassels, Slepyshev, Bjorkstrand maybe none of them will have great career but I'm 100% that there trade value is higher than Crisp value on the day of the draft or today. Perceived value might just be has important, imagined if we had drafted Duclair we could have packaged him for a top 6 FW last year fairly easy... Crisp he the kind of player that available on waiver evey year waste of a good pick.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
...that still haunts my dreams...but at least we didn't draft Huge Speciman, so there's always a bright side...

I didn't have a problem with the Kostitsyn pick at all - I loved it at the time. By all accounts, he had the potential to be a true gamebreaker and we did see flashes of it on occasion. Hindsight is 20/20 and knowing he wouldn't quite put it together, obviously I wouldn't make the pick now; it's just the nature of drafting 18 year-olds for pure potential. As far as I remember, the only thing keeping other teams away was his epilepsy scare. I for one like seeing my team swing for the fences every once in a while at the draft.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
With such good drafting teams like Tampa/Detroit/Ottawa in the division, Habs need to step up their game IMO, that list is just non-top 14 picks so a lot of the teams have added a lot more talent than what is listed. Florida/Buffalo don't need to rely on 2nd rounders and on due to their high number of lottery 1st rounders.

Habs drafting record since 2008 suggests there can be improvements made IMO. Maybe a change in philosophy to be more similar to teams like Ottawa/Detroit. Their consistency isn't luck.
2008's a wash. So you're really only able to look at 2009 to 2012. Everything after that (and even 2012) is too soon to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad