Speculation: Treliving's evil plan to poach 2 defensemen from CGY finally laid to rest?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
How would that happen? Calgary has all 3 retention slots available and they probably aren't taking back any cap hits bigger than 2M. There was zero chance Calgary was ever retaining on Tanev and Z while also taking back Klingberg
so who would be the odd UFA not granted retention?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
we need the grit, in the playoffs his physicality makes up for the other issues
of course we do, Cowan is a beast, Minten is killing it, we have our 1st.
Lindholm is a rental so 1st+prospect+cap is the normal return
meh, I don't think they go for it.

Better off going to a team that wants to resign him. Much better assets to go for

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Calgary has bigger plans in the works, like injuring all of the Canucks already thin D prospect depth to force a trade.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I say "evil" tongue in cheek. However I felt like the rumblings were silly. Why would an organization who just fired Treliving hand over a major chunk of their defensive depth just to help him out on his new team?

If this was the game plan then I question everything. The assets it would take to bring over Tanev / Zadorov (as an example) have already been spent as far as I can tell. Robertson and a 2nd round pick in 2029 is not going to cut it.

Does anyone have any insight into Plan B? I'll give Treliving a little credit and say that Plan A is crumpled up on the floor.

Discuss please.

First off no the assets haven't been spent, I like Nikita Zadorov and want him here, but let's be real we are talking about Nikita Zadorov not Adam Fox.

Secondly I fully expect a trade soon, it has to be coming.

Lilly is out, Klingberg is out and very likely done, Gio just went down., pretty sure I'm missing at least one person.

Something has to happen there are to many bodies out.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Every time a GM moves, everyone assumes they're trying to poach pieces from where they came from.

I mean some managers clearly do that. Tallon got a disproportionate number of Blackhawks guys after becoming Florida gm, Lamoriello acquired several of his old Devils bodies for the Islanders. It’s not entirely fan fiction, when it’s been known to happen.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The players we usually see a manager acquire from his old team, are players who just aren’t getting the opportunities with the old club, and he believes with those opportunities, the players could succeed. In fact, usually the new manager (at the old team) is hesitant to trade good pieces to that old manager.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
so who would be the odd UFA not granted retention?
Impossible to say. Where they go determines retention more than who is involved.

For instance, if Hanifin was dealt to Detroit as the deadline, no retention would be needed to complete a deal; but if he was traded to the Leafs, both retention and a cap dump would be required for the Leafs to be cap comp[liant.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Every time a GM moves, everyone assumes they're trying to poach pieces from where they came from. It's just boiler plate speculation because the GM in the new org has old org players and info in the back of their mind. Treliving obviously would look at Calgary to see if the fit works, but I assume Dubas was the same as well, no? It just stuck for longer because the pieces rumored are the needs of the Leafs.

That's because they do it all the time.

Burke with the Ducks when he was Leafs GM

Dubas and his obsession with guys he had either as an agent or in the Soo when he was Leafs GM.

Dubas bringing Noel Accari to Pittsburgh.

Lou bringing Palmeri Parise and Schinder to the NYI, and trying to bring Zajac to Toronto.

It happens all the time.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Impossible to say. Where they go determines retention more than who is involved.

For instance, if Hanifin was dealt to Detroit as the deadline, no retention would be needed to complete a deal; but if he was traded to the Leafs, both retention and a cap dump would be required for the Leafs to be cap comp[liant.

Not anymore, with Klingberg, Lilly and possibly Gio on LTIR no cap dump would be required.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
and when/if they return? they you're f***ed.

Well Klingberg probably isn't returning so there is that.

We don't know about Gio yet but Keefe said he's missing significant time.

And when Lilly returns then Benoit and Lageasson go down.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Like what do Flames fans they are going to get for Zaddy?

I would assume his value is somewhere around a 3rd. Or am I the crazy one.

Reactions: Sypher04

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
When Lou invented Robidas Island, was there ever a number of beds there disclosed?
Exactly how many guys can fit on Robidas Island?

LOL.........

All jokes aside, these two teams do seem to match up as trade partners.........something at the deadline makes sense....

When Lou invented Robidas Island, was there ever a number of beds there disclosed?
Exactly how many guys can fit on Robidas Island?

LOL.........

All jokes aside, these two teams do seem to match up as trade partners.........something at the deadline makes sense....

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
How would that happen? Calgary has all 3 retention slots available and they probably aren't taking back any cap hits bigger than 2M. There was zero chance Calgary was ever retaining on Tanev and Z while also taking back Klingberg

I wouldn’t say zero chance. If Calgary is gutting their team by trading away all their pending UFAs for futures then retaining on an expiring deal in addition to taking back cap really shouldn’t be a sticking point.

I think the leafs not wanting to pay a premium for retention is more likely than Calgary being against it.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Like what do Flames fans they are going to get for Zaddy?

I would assume his value is somewhere around a 3rd. Or am I the crazy one.
He will get at least a 2nd or equivalent prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad