Speculation: Treliving's evil plan to poach 2 defensemen from CGY finally laid to rest?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I say "evil" tongue in cheek. However I felt like the rumblings were silly. Why would an organization who just fired Treliving hand over a major chunk of their defensive depth just to help him out on his new team?

If this was the game plan then I question everything. The assets it would take to bring over Tanev / Zadorov (as an example) have already been spent as far as I can tell. Robertson and a 2nd round pick in 2029 is not going to cut it.

Does anyone have any insight into Plan B? I'll give Treliving a little credit and say that Plan A is crumpled up on the floor.

Discuss please.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I gotta be honest I never wanted anyone but Zadorov anyways (his style of play). Either they are UFA's (I think the Leafs need to stop burning assets on rentals and if they are going to spend, spend a tad extra and get a few seasons for your assets) or completely over rated.

I never ever heard a single credible rumor Treliving was about to acquire multiple dmen from Calgary. That was always pure speculation by random people. What isn't speculation is the Leafs will add to their D sometime this season.

Reactions: Marner4Life

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Every time a GM moves, everyone assumes they're trying to poach pieces from where they came from. It's just boiler plate speculation because the GM in the new org has old org players and info in the back of their mind. Treliving obviously would look at Calgary to see if the fit works, but I assume Dubas was the same as well, no? It just stuck for longer because the pieces rumored are the needs of the Leafs.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I still maintain a deal for Zadarov goes down, question is price. Will he overpay with prospects like Cowan, Minten, Robertson? or will it be Voit, Hirvonen etc

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
If I had to guess TOR's best opportunity/best partners might be: NYI & CBJ in the east, and CHI, SJ, & SEA in the west.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
He usually overpays in picks and UFA. He didn’t really trade many prospects while in Calgary. More likely he trades the 1st.
any player on the Flames you can see him having an attachment to? a sleeper we may see coming?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Flames have these guys on the market. Are they going to do Treliving a solid by giving them to him at below market rates? No.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
calgary would gladly sell Toronto Tanev/Zadorov.

Why wouldn't they?

Likely going to get outbid by others though

Bond

May 10, 2012
any player on the Flames you can see him having an attachment to? a sleeper we may see coming?
Flames have too many UFAs to deal with before any surprises would happen imo. I bet he’d pay out the ass for Hanifin if he’d sign there.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
calgary would gladly sell Toronto Tanev/Zadorov.

Why wouldn't they?

Likely going to get outbid by others though
both is a pipe dream but Zadorov and Lindholm is a pipe dream I can get behind

Flames have too many UFAs to deal with before any surprises would happen imo. I bet he’d pay out the ass for Hanifin if he’d sign there.
I think they would get out bid in UFA, we can't really go above 5 or 6 on the D men we bring in
on capfriendly
11 Nylander
6d
5d
4 middle pair winger
3Lilj
2 back up
is roughly where we need to be

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Why you guys would pick Zadorov over Tanev makes no sense to me but sure haha

Toronto has nothing to give that would get Lindholm
we need the grit, in the playoffs his physicality makes up for the other issues
of course we do, Cowan is a beast, Minten is killing it, we have our 1st.
Lindholm is a rental so 1st+prospect+cap is the normal return

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I say "evil" tongue in cheek. However I felt like the rumblings were silly. Why would an organization who just fired Treliving hand over a major chunk of their defensive depth just to help him out on his new team?

If this was the game plan then I question everything. The assets it would take to bring over Tanev / Zadorov (as an example) have already been spent as far as I can tell. Robertson and a 2nd round pick in 2029 is not going to cut it.

Does anyone have any insight into Plan B? I'll give Treliving a little credit and say that Plan A is crumpled up on the floor.

Discuss please.
he wasn't fired he chose to walk away.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I can see Toronto going for Zaodorov + Greer. I doubt they add 2 of the Flames defensemen when every contender seems to want defense right now
100% agree, The Flames will do better to sell all 3 separately.
Where I can see it get interesting is there are 4 assets and 2 retention spots, so will the buyers have a bidding war for 1 of those spots?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I gotta be honest I never wanted anyone but Zadorov anyways (his style of play). Either they are UFA's (I think the Leafs need to stop burning assets on rentals and if they are going to spend, spend a tad extra and get a few seasons for your assets) or completely over rated.

I never ever heard a single credible rumor Treliving was about to acquire multiple dmen from Calgary. That was always pure speculation by random people. What isn't speculation is the Leafs will add to their D sometime this season.

I don’t think rentals are a good idea anymore either. But I’m more against the deadline deal rentals.

A deal now would be most of the season, which I think is okay. You might resign a player if you have all of the rest of the season to evaluate them and how they fit in and what they bring to the team.

But no deadline rentals, please. Leafs need to keep drafting because this window might not have any gold at the end of the rainbow unless you can add some quality ELC’s on the team at the tail end of the cores careers.

If they were going to win going all in, it should have happened by now. That ship has sailed.

I’d like zadorov and, say Lybushkin deals if done today though

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
It's a thing because some smoothbrain saw Giordano and Brodie on the roster and thusly concluded that since Tanev and Zadorov might be moved, they'd be going to Toronto.

Ledge And Dairy

100% agree, The Flames will do better to sell all 3 separately.
Where I can see it get interesting is there are 4 assets and 2 retention spots, so will the buyers have a bidding war for 1 of those spots?
How would that happen? Calgary has all 3 retention slots available and they probably aren't taking back any cap hits bigger than 2M. There was zero chance Calgary was ever retaining on Tanev and Z while also taking back Klingberg

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad