Friedman: Treliving looking at buying at the deadline

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
The problem with acquiring a top 4 RHD is that we'd then have to protect 4 defensemen and have to expose Frolik, Brouwer and Ferland in the expansion draft. So we'd have to get weigh the likely loss of Frolik in anything we give up for a defenseman, which in most cases makes it a non-starter.

Something around Simmonds and Bennett is interesting, at least to me. The tough part is giving up Bennett who we do value quite high for a guy with just 2 years left on his contract. So we'd be hesitant to add much, if anything as we wouldn't even be in a situation to negotiate a new contract with Simmonds.

Thanks for the input.

Simmonds on a line with Monahan and Gaudreau would be epic but I can see why Bennett is hard to let go.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Absolutely love how some fans (and especially some Oilers fans) are hating on Flames' management for absolutely no reason.

Our management is great and the best it has been in YEARS.

Fixed that for you.

Some Oilers fans are happy to reciprocate the love shown by some Flames fans over the Oilers playoff drought. What goes around comes back around.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for the input.

Simmonds on a line with Monahan and Gaudreau would be epic but I can see why Bennett is hard to let go.
Oh for sure. Put it this way, if Simmonds had just one year left on his contract I'd be willing to give up Bennett+ if the deal could be done on or after July 1st and we could negotiate a new deal with Simmonds before consummating the trade. It's just that extra year on his deal that makes it too risky to give up someone with top line potential.

At this point the only Flyers forward I would consider a deal for Bennett for is Schenn (no disrespect to Giroux and Voracek but their contracts just don't fit our cap structure)

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Really not worthy of a thread but with the 'rumour' of the Jets interest in Ben Bishop would there be any interest in a deal revolving around these pieces?

:jets

D TJ Brodie

:flames

D Jacob Trouba
G Conor Hallebuyck

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Really not worthy of a thread but with the 'rumour' of the Jets interest in Ben Bishop would there be any interest in a deal revolving around these pieces?

D TJ Brodie

D Jacob Trouba
G Conor Hallebuyck
Not interested in that at all. Not interested in giving up Brodie at all, within the next couple years he'll supplant Giordano on the top pairing and be our long-term LD with Hamilton on the top pairing.

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013

D TJ Brodie

D Jacob Trouba
G Conor Hallebuyck

The way Hellebuyck's played, I don't think he tempts the Flames to move Brodie.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
A) Not having a contract at the end of the year and not re-signing one =/= fired.

B) Burke has said multiple times he doesn't want to be a GM.

C) You're "evidence" to back up a rumor is based on speculation which in itself has no substantiated truth.

Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Well, as long as the Flames keep embarrassing themselves, I got nothing to worry about. Just point out the facts.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not interested in that at all. Not interested in giving up Brodie at all, within the next couple years he'll supplant Giordano on the top pairing and be our long-term LD with Hamilton on the top pairing.

Is Hamilton really capable of the top pairing though? His PK time doesn't really show a ton of confidence in his defensive ability.

The way I'm thinking is that RHD are the most sought after pieces on the trade market today. If you think Trouba is capable of filling that #1RD role in the future, it's a lot easier filling that LD role than it is grabbing a top-4 RD.

Of course Hallebuyck is a big player in this proposal so if you don't think he's any better than Johnson or Elliot then it's an obvious non-starter.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Well, as long as the Flames keep embarrassing themselves, I got nothing to worry about. Just point out the facts.

But you haven't pointed out any facts. All you've done is misinterpret speculation as rumors, then speculate on the outcome of what you think are rumors.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Thanks.

I believe the likes of Trouba or Dumba would be very interesting for you.

As a Flyers fan, I'd be willig to ask what you can offer for Wayne Simmonds. He's on of the best PFW's in the game on a great contract with good wheels and great instincts in front o the net.

As much as I love his game he's arguably the best proven asset the Flyers have right now and trading him would help the retooling.

Since our biggest need is to upgrade the C and Monahan is a non-starter I'd ask for Bennett, a first and one more highly-regarded prospect.

I only want Simmonds to play on Bennett's RW. Otherwise it's pointless.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is Hamilton really capable of the top pairing though? His PK time doesn't really show a ton of confidence in his defensive ability.

The way I'm thinking is that RHD are the most sought after pieces on the trade market today. If you think Trouba is capable of filling that #1RD role in the future, it's a lot easier filling that LD role than it is grabbing a top-4 RD.

Of course Hallebuyck is a big player in this proposal so if you don't think he's any better than Johnson or Elliot then it's an obvious non-starter.
Hamilton has been top pairing since we turned things around in November. He doesn't kill penalties, but he's still playing with Giordano at ES against other teams top lines every night.

I personally like Hellebyuck but feel Trouba is extremely overrated.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

D TJ Brodie

D Jacob Trouba
G Conor Hallebuyck

I don't know if the flames would do it, but that seems like a very reasonable deal for both sides to me. Much easier for the flames to get a #4 shut down lhd to play with trouba than a top 4 rhd.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Attack me all you like. I'm just posting what has been posted in the media. Doesn't bother me.

How the **** do you think my posts are attacking you? Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean you're being attacked.

And no you haven't because you've taken a line out of context from a 19 minute interview and used it to create a false narrative. You're either trolling or just have terrible comprehension.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

D TJ Brodie

D Jacob Trouba
G Conor Hallebuyck

Terrible for the Flames. Just Terrible. Any Jets/Flames deal involving Brodie starts and ends with Blake Wheeler.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
fwiw I would give up Bennett for Simmonds without thinking twice.

20 year old center for a 28 year old winger without thinking twice? Wayne Simmonds was a 23 points in 82 game player when he was Bennett's age. He didn't break 50 points until he was 25.

I really hope Flames management thinks more than once. Nothing against Simmonds but the undervaluing of Bennett around here is laughable.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ryan Miller a good fit for Calgary?

Friedman on HNIC says Treliving has his hands in a lot of things in terms of buying at the deadline. Says he is one of the more active GMs right now.

He is going to **** something up.

Calgary needs goaltending, and Miller is having a hell of a year.

It's not a 1-1 analogy, but I wonder if a Miller-to-Calgary scenario could play out similarly to Roloson-to-Edmonton back in 2006?

People might point to the fact that the last time Miller was traded at the deadline, he bombed miserably in St. Louis, but there's a few things to consider:

1) Miller won't be looked as a "missing piece" in Calgary as he was in St. Louis. Miller will simply be looked as a guy that can increase Calgary's odds.

2) Calgary is very close to Vancouver in terms of geographical proximity. In that respect, it will be a lot different from going from Buffalo to St. Louis (i.e. geographically far, and a completely different conference and opponents).

Given Calgary's need for goaltending, Miller is also the type of guy Calgary can comfortably sign in the off-season. As alluring as California may sound for Miller due to his wife being there, it's unlikely that Miller would get a starting gig on any of those teams. In Calgary however, he can easily be the number 1 guy for 1, maybe 2, more years.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
20 year old center for a 28 year old winger without thinking twice? Wayne Simmonds was a 23 points in 82 game player when he was Bennett's age. He didn't break 50 points until he was 25.

I really hope Flames management thinks more than once. Nothing against Simmonds but the undervaluing of Bennett around here is laughable.

Posts like this is why I say your going to embarrass yourselves. If this is what you think, then have God have mercy on your soul :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad