Speculation: Travis Zajac out 4-6 months; Do Devils need to add now?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The devils don't need to do anything. They aren't good enough to compete and the team with or without zajac isn't much different imo

Exactly. Travis is a much better player than people give him credit for. He is the best defensive forward the Devils have ever had IMO, and they've had some good ones. But losing him doesn't really change the likely outcome of the season. Any slim hope of squeaking into the playoffs is probably gone, but it was unlikely anyway. The Cup isn't the goal for this team right now. That's a long term goal. Right now is to develop players and draft well.

What I hope is that they don't throw Nico in over his head. Let Henrique slide to center the top line, or possibly Mojo.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Losing Zajac could be the difference between finishing dead last instead of bottom 10 but as others have said losing him doesn't really change much. Henrique will probably get that 1c spot most shifts with Hischier and McLeod getting some minutes on the top line as well. That's what I'm hoping at least. I just hope they don't feel too pressure.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
losing Zajac is the difference between being bad and terrible, not good and bad. feel like Mikey's likelihood of making the roster just shot up (though they were already decent to being with)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

The speculation is mine but, really, the Devils were already pretty thin up front, they have to add something now, right?

Personally, I might even see if Mike Ribeiro would be cleared by the league to return if he has his drinking under control. He was still on pace for 40+ points before his relapse last year.

no.

it would be a panic move and if teams know this they will makes them over pay.

wait for training camp--see who does not have contracts offer PTO

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I'd say the probability of them signing a Hudler/Chiasson/Upshall or bringing back Parenteau, each on a one-year deal, has gone up. But that's about it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I just hope Nico isn't ruined by being tossed into the 2c role.

That seems over his head at this point, and it's hard to shelter him when the team already lacks high end talent.

Nico was going to get a top-6 role regardless. We have plenty of talented forwards - Hall, Johansson, Palmieri, Henrique, Zacha. I'm not concerned about Nico.

Zajac going down sucks but IMO all it means is that McLeod will make the team at center. A lot of us speculated he'd be starting at RW with our weakness there, but McLeod is a natural center who is great at faceoffs and defensively responsible - just like Zajac.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
If you are saying that Zajac being out is the only reason you just now might start considering adding some help up front, I'd say your team is already in a heap of trouble.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
If you are saying that Zajac being out is the only reason you just now might start considering adding some help up front, I'd say your team is already in a heap of trouble.
When healthy the Devils forward corps isn't that bad. It's very, very young and unproven in some cases, but not obviously bad. The big team weakness is at defense.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They shouldn't do a thing, god I feel bad for Taylor Hall. Maybe after the next draft they'll have their future set.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Good for Devils, substantially increased their chances at top pick in a year they have no chance to compete. On the other hand loosing Lovejoy would really hurt their chances.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Good for Devils, substantially increased their chances at top pick in a year they have no chance to compete. On the other hand loosing Lovejoy would really hurt their chances.

They still have John Moore. So it wouldnt hurt that much.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
No. We are content to try and do what Colorado did this past year.

Then your going to loose your best player to FA, again. Hall won't stick around if the Devils are still bad when his contract is up. I doubt he has much faith in rebuilds by now.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Valtteri Filppula?

:laugh:

The Hall thing scares me a bit. I hope he can see some light at the end of this tunnel, but it would be hard to blame him if he didn't. But that is the case with or without Zajac, and that is the case regardless of whatever trade they could pull off, and that is regardless of whatever FA there is left to sign. There is nothing out there to make the Devils a contender this season or for the next couple. Either Hall is committed to this rebuild or he bolts. This injury and the reaction to it have literally no effect on the Hall issue. And that is precisely why they shouldn't do anything but roll with the punches. Load up on D men in next seasons draft, give it a couple years, and maybe we are looking at contending again. It is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad