Speculation: Travis Zajac out 4-6 months; Do Devils need to add now?

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

The speculation is mine but, really, the Devils were already pretty thin up front, they have to add something now, right?

Personally, I might even see if Mike Ribeiro would be cleared by the league to return if he has his drinking under control. He was still on pace for 40+ points before his relapse last year.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
No. The team hopes the lotto doesn't change favors next year and they hold onto a top 2 pick.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The devils don't need to do anything. They aren't good enough to compete and the team with or without zajac isn't much different imo

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Why is New Jersey trying to compete in 2018 again?

Between Nico, Henrique, McLeod, Johansson, Zacha, Quenneville, Blandisi, and Boyle we have plenty of centers.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

The speculation is mine but, really, the Devils were already pretty thin up front, they have to add something now, right?

Personally, I might even see if Mike Ribeiro would be cleared by the league to return if he has his drinking under control. He was still on pace for 40+ points before his relapse last year.

Thin on forwards you say? Bozak?? Jvr??

Ya, didn't think so.....carry on.....

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Add for what? Even with Zajac they're likely one of if not the worst team in the Metro.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils are not going to give up anything unless the player they're getting makes sense short and long-term.

With Hischier, Zacha, and McLeod all on the cusp, I don't think it's worth it to crowd the center position to add a guy like Bozak (or a similar player that would be on the market). Plus it makes little sense to add a Zajac replacement (or close to it) when we weren't going to compete anyways.

The rest of the FA pool has a bunch of depth centers so they will likely just stand pat, use Johansson/Henrique at C if need be, and play Boyle way more than they should.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

If they go status quo, this opens up a spot for John Quenneville, Joseph Blandisi, and Michael McLeod to potentially compete against each other. Those three might have been fighting for one spot previously, now maybe two guys can earn a spot. Before the injury, it seemed like one of Zacha/Henrique would have to slide to wing but now both could be at center.

It ain't ideal, but maybe somebody can step up. When Zajac was hurt to start the 2011-12 season, that opened up a spot on the PP and David Clarkson had a career year. Patrik Elias played center that season and had a good year. Adam Henrique got called up and was allowed to play some important minutes right off the hop.

There aren't too many appealing options on the UFA market at center ice. Dunno if there are any short term trade options which would make sense. Might be easier to let the kids have a chance to sink or swim. Albeit, even with a healthy Zajac, I was half-expecting the team to add a veteran RW before camp.

We'll certainly miss Zajac's defensive play though. Even if he's not putting up big offensive numbers, you won't find too many Devils fans disappointed with Zajac's effort.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I would say they should sign a stop-gap guy around camp time for cheap. Otherwise, just roll with it.

They can't be giving up futures (young players or picks) for established players. And they don't have many established players who would fetch a very good package of futures. (Hall off-limits, Zajac is out longterm, and trading Henrique right now would be absolutely killer).

So don't make a major move. Sign a cheap guy if he's available to play spot duty until Zajac comes back. And hope a young guy steps up.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Shero is really becoming a smart GM, if he finds something that suits him and he can get it dirt cheap like he has done before, probobly. Red wings would need to save some cap...

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
So we basically traded zajac for a top 5 pick? Not bad
But I'm all seriousness hope he gets better asap. Huge loss

Donzo

Jun 17, 2009
Denver, CO
I thought the Devils had a slim chance at a wild card spot, but it's tough for me to see them finishing out of the bottom 10 now.

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ
Well at least it happened at the one position we have some depth at! In all seriousness, there was still a lot of question marks as to what the lines would look like to start the season and this adds to that.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
They aren't thin up front. Their issue is defense. The only spot forward wise that they are thin at is RW. Defense is where they are thin.

At best they would be competing for a wild card spot given the division they are in. And that is if they were to perform above expectations and if other teams went to **** and regressed. They have no reasons to make any moves to address this since this year was already most likely another throw a way year before Zajac getting hurt.

They have Zacha who didn't look out of place when playing on the top line the few times he did. He seems to actually have good chemistry with Hall. Henrique can and doesplay center, though he is more suited for the wing IMO. They have Hischier who is a center who was most likely playing this season, this only makes that more of a certainty. They have McLeod they could always let play and he is a natural center. They have Boyle who will lock down either the 3rd or 4th center position. Blandisi and Quenneville can play center as well if need be.

The only moves the Devils should be making would be ones that address their defense.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I just hope Nico isn't ruined by being tossed into the 2c role.

That seems over his head at this point, and it's hard to shelter him when the team already lacks high end talent.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
It's a blessing for NJ. Let the kids run, gain experience and see what they've got. At the worst they get a high draft pick and at best the young energy and skill has them fighting for a playoff spot.

Henrique's flexibility to move between C and W covers their ass if McCleod doesn't show he's ready and they are trying to win some games. Rico, Nico, Zacha and Boyle have 4 C's covered if they want to push for wins.

W and D depth are the problems if they want to win more games... but why? Get one more solid pick next season and with that cap space and current crop of top picks they are off and running.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I forgot about Blandisi.

Right now, we have Zacha, Johansson, Henrique, Hischier, McLeod, Boyle, and Blandisi all who can play C. A couple AHL guys like Coleman who will be given a chance at 4C as well.

Just on the numbers game, we should be ok, but I don't think any of those guys will replace what Zajac brings.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am starting to wonder how much longer Hall is willing to put up with this? He's never been in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad