Speculation: Travis Zajac out 4-6 months; Do Devils need to add now?

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by caley, Aug 17, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. caley

caley Moderator

Home Page:

The speculation is mine but, really, the Devils were already pretty thin up front, they have to add something now, right?

Personally, I might even see if Mike Ribeiro would be cleared by the league to return if he has his drinking under control. He was still on pace for 40+ points before his relapse last year.

2. Hall4Hart

Hall4Hart Guess who's back?

No. The team hopes the lotto doesn't change favors next year and they hold onto a top 2 pick.

3. Scottyk9

Scottyk9 I love to hockey.

Henrique
    Hischier
    McCleod
    Boyle

down the middle.

All in for Dahlin

4. AnishLoomba

AnishLoomba Registered User

The devils don't need to do anything. They aren't good enough to compete and the team with or without zajac isn't much different imo

5. AfroThunder396

AfroThunder396 [citation needed]

Why is New Jersey trying to compete in 2018 again?

Between Nico, Henrique, McLeod, Johansson, Zacha, Quenneville, Blandisi, and Boyle we have plenty of centers.

6. Took a pill in Sbisa

Took a pill in Sbisa 2showToffoliIwascool

Man Taylor Hall will be hating hockey by the end of his contract

7. Liferleafer

Liferleafer Bob's assclown

Thin on forwards you say? Bozak?? Jvr??

Ya, didn't think so.....carry on.....

8. JT Kreider

JT Kreider FIRE AV

Add for what? Even with Zajac they're likely one of if not the worst team in the Metro.

9. Zippy316

Zippy316 aka Zippo

Devils are not going to give up anything unless the player they're getting makes sense short and long-term.

With Hischier, Zacha, and McLeod all on the cusp, I don't think it's worth it to crowd the center position to add a guy like Bozak (or a similar player that would be on the market). Plus it makes little sense to add a Zajac replacement (or close to it) when we weren't going to compete anyways.

The rest of the FA pool has a bunch of depth centers so they will likely just stand pat, use Johansson/Henrique at C if need be, and play Boyle way more than they should.

10. Classic Devil

Classic Devil Spirit of 1988

Awards:
    All in with the kids I guess.

11. Brodeur

Brodeur Registered User

If they go status quo, this opens up a spot for John Quenneville, Joseph Blandisi, and Michael McLeod to potentially compete against each other. Those three might have been fighting for one spot previously, now maybe two guys can earn a spot. Before the injury, it seemed like one of Zacha/Henrique would have to slide to wing but now both could be at center.

It ain't ideal, but maybe somebody can step up. When Zajac was hurt to start the 2011-12 season, that opened up a spot on the PP and David Clarkson had a career year. Patrik Elias played center that season and had a good year. Adam Henrique got called up and was allowed to play some important minutes right off the hop.

There aren't too many appealing options on the UFA market at center ice. Dunno if there are any short term trade options which would make sense. Might be easier to let the kids have a chance to sink or swim. Albeit, even with a healthy Zajac, I was half-expecting the team to add a veteran RW before camp.

We'll certainly miss Zajac's defensive play though. Even if he's not putting up big offensive numbers, you won't find too many Devils fans disappointed with Zajac's effort.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  12. Crede777

Crede777 Deputized

I would say they should sign a stop-gap guy around camp time for cheap. Otherwise, just roll with it.

They can't be giving up futures (young players or picks) for established players. And they don't have many established players who would fetch a very good package of futures. (Hall off-limits, Zajac is out longterm, and trading Henrique right now would be absolutely killer).

So don't make a major move. Sign a cheap guy if he's available to play spot duty until Zajac comes back. And hope a young guy steps up.

13. LaP

LaP Registered User

Why would they? They're not going to make the playoffs anyway. Might as well increase the chances to get a 1st overall.

14. howkie

howkie Registered User

Shero is really becoming a smart GM, if he finds something that suits him and he can get it dirt cheap like he has done before, probobly. Red wings would need to save some cap...

15. devilsfan35

devilsfan35 Registered User

So we basically traded zajac for a top 5 pick? Not bad
    But I'm all seriousness hope he gets better asap. Huge loss

16. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Registered User

17. Donzo

Donzo Registered User

I thought the Devils had a slim chance at a wild card spot, but it's tough for me to see them finishing out of the bottom 10 now.

18. SeidoN

SeidoN #HFOutcasts

Roaster
    yes the Devils will add, namely Dahlin

19. Steal Your Faceoff

Steal Your Faceoff Registered User

Well at least it happened at the one position we have some depth at! In all seriousness, there was still a lot of question marks as to what the lines would look like to start the season and this adds to that.

20. Del Preston

Del Preston Registered User

RNH for Hall

21. Cult of Hynes

Cult of Hynes Hynes is never wrong.

They aren't thin up front. Their issue is defense. The only spot forward wise that they are thin at is RW. Defense is where they are thin.

At best they would be competing for a wild card spot given the division they are in. And that is if they were to perform above expectations and if other teams went to **** and regressed. They have no reasons to make any moves to address this since this year was already most likely another throw a way year before Zajac getting hurt.

They have Zacha who didn't look out of place when playing on the top line the few times he did. He seems to actually have good chemistry with Hall. Henrique can and doesplay center, though he is more suited for the wing IMO. They have Hischier who is a center who was most likely playing this season, this only makes that more of a certainty. They have McLeod they could always let play and he is a natural center. They have Boyle who will lock down either the 3rd or 4th center position. Blandisi and Quenneville can play center as well if need be.

The only moves the Devils should be making would be ones that address their defense.

22. my name is Bob

my name is Bob Registered User

I just hope Nico isn't ruined by being tossed into the 2c role.

That seems over his head at this point, and it's hard to shelter him when the team already lacks high end talent.

23. NYR713

NYR713 Registered User

It's a blessing for NJ. Let the kids run, gain experience and see what they've got. At the worst they get a high draft pick and at best the young energy and skill has them fighting for a playoff spot.

Henrique's flexibility to move between C and W covers their ass if McCleod doesn't show he's ready and they are trying to win some games. Rico, Nico, Zacha and Boyle have 4 C's covered if they want to push for wins.

W and D depth are the problems if they want to win more games... but why? Get one more solid pick next season and with that cap space and current crop of top picks they are off and running.

24. Zippy316

Zippy316 aka Zippo

I forgot about Blandisi.

Right now, we have Zacha, Johansson, Henrique, Hischier, McLeod, Boyle, and Blandisi all who can play C. A couple AHL guys like Coleman who will be given a chance at 4C as well.

Just on the numbers game, we should be ok, but I don't think any of those guys will replace what Zajac brings.

25. LEAFANFORLIFE23

LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

I am starting to wonder how much longer Hall is willing to put up with this? He's never been in the playoffs