Travis Zajac 1000th Game Appreciation Thread

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I like the idea of extending Zajac another season if he's open to a reasonable one year deal. I'd probably give him a NTC or at least a modified one, but would probably ask him to accept exposure in the expansion draft if he signs before then. I doubt SEA takes an older player on a one year deal when a halfway decent bottom six guy like Kuokkanen or Merkley who might still have a bit of upside are made available. That said, I wouldn't want to use a protection slot on Zajac. Assuming he either stays or says the right things if he gets moved at some point, I'd be open to at a minimum a ring of honor nod for him after he retires.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
A real example of pure class and hard work. A true professional. He's been great for the team, even in the darkest times. Really underrated as a two-way forward for most of his career. Glad to see him get to 1000 games with the Devils and hopefully he retires a Devil. Congratulations to him in advance.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Great Devils player and love to see him hitting 1,000 games with us. He's 4th in franchise history in games played (3rd among skaters), 3rd in points, 4th in goals, 5th in assists. Hell of a player for us.
Needs 6 more goals for 3rd.
18 assists for 4th, 25 assists for 3rd, 28 assists for 2nd.

If he plays this year and potentially next he'll get the goals, have to wonder where he'll end in assists.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It also helped that unlike Cory and Greene, he remains an effective player.

I wouldn't sell Andy short. He's still an effective player in his own right. He's also 3 years older than Trav is and had to grind his way through being a UDFA.

I hope Andy's got one year left in him somehow. He's only 61 games shy of 1000 himself.

And I love Cory to death, but his body failed him. He deserved a much better fate for his career.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if brylin isn't in the rafters, zajac shouldn't be either. i don't think either one deserves to be, but they should be honored in some way. perhaps offering 'zajac nachos' at the concession stand, which would be unsalted chips slathered in mayo

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i’m not sure on what planet having your full name and 30 ft tall face plastered in the wall of the arena is somehow a consolation prize for not having your jersey retired - it’s clearly to honor non-player personal who are important to the franchise. mcmullen, lou, maybe jacques? and whatever owners and gms have that kind of impact on the franchise

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i shouldn’t have been so glib in my response but it just doesn’t make sense to have players there when the honor for players is a number retirement - the ring of honor is for builders, it’s the only logical purpose for it

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
the ring of honor is never going to have players

Technically the ring of honor doesn't even exist, they put up one thing for McMullen over 4 years ago now and that's been it.

Ring of honor should be there to honor players who deserve it but simply don't deserve their number to be retired not just builders. If that grammy museum ever goes belly up they should transform that into a mini Devils museum that can be accessed on game days. Put the ring of honor in there to honor past great players, a plaque like the hof, some videos of great plays, memorabilia, etc. Put out a suggested donation price of like $5 where all the proceeds go to whatever Devils charity.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
giphy.gif

I do something nice and Trav gets COVID!

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
if brylin isn't in the rafters, zajac shouldn't be either. i don't think either one deserves to be, but they should be honored in some way. perhaps offering 'zajac nachos' at the concession stand, which would be unsalted chips slathered in mayo
I’m not sure Zajac is jersey retirement level but he’s definitely a level above Brylin and I love Brylin. Brylin was late blooming middle six winger who averaged ~15 minutes a game. He only played 765 games.

I can see Zajac, or even MacLean because of his team records, but Brylin is just... Being lovable and present during the three Championship runs aren’t at the level of accolades that people associate with jersey retirements.

I very much get the impulse, I love the guy, but there’s no argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad