Travis Konecny - What's wrong?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Roughly the same points is disappointing for a guy expected to show drastic progression.
Drafted #24

No one drafted after him has more points than he does this season, except Aho.

And he is out scoring 11 people drafted ahead of him this year.

Not bad for a "bad" year.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
i was so high on this kid
rest of that draft exploded and like we see with 2003, some players will take longer

he still has a ton of potential

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Why are the Flyers so bad? Their LW group isn't great and their young D have not developed as hoped. But, I still thought they would be better.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
10 points (5 ES, 5 PP) in 7 games so far. Lindblom is second on the team with 6 points.

17:39 TOI/GP (14:30 ES, 3:10 PP)
I kept lindblom in my keeper league for years.... then let him go last year. Ugh.

Konecny is a good player. This pace obvi wont keep up but hes decent.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Why are the Flyers so bad? Their LW group isn't great and their young D have not developed as hoped. But, I still thought they would be better.
I just looked and they are exactly 0.500 in points % and gf/ga. O_O

Anyway, their place in the standings is a little misleading because they have only played 7 games

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
They will be a fringe playoff team. Giroux is struggling and carter hart hasnt been great. When they get going the flyers will be okay.

Their d prospects and d have been overhyped for years. Its still not that good.

phillydownsouth

Giroux is your daddy
Sep 18, 2019
It could be argued that he performed much better last year than he has this year. The same could be said about the entire Flyers offense obviously, but I have noticed an obvious decline in Konecny's overall play this year.

Can Flyers fans explain? I've always had a soft spot for his kid, so I'm a bit concerned. He may still hit about the same point totals as last year, however Flyers fans have said that his play has dropped.

They will be a fringe playoff team. Giroux is struggling and carter hart hasnt been great. When they get going the flyers will be okay.

Their d prospects and d have been overhyped for years. Its still not that good.

not sure what planet you've been on. Haven't heard about the Flyers "overhyped D" in a long time.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Yea, I don't see how anyone can ask "What's wrong with TK?"
As some have already pointed out... 10 points in 7 games for starters.

Any comparisons to last season simply can't be made yet.....too small a sample size for this season.
It IS worth noting though, if you look at the stats from last year and the year before, he posted eerily similar stats...you could almost swap out certain stats and get the same result. That tells me that even as a very early 20-something year old playing with men in the NHL, he is starting to look VERY consistent with slight improvements each time out. You can't really ask for more than that from a young player like him.

And yes, the Flyers are NOT a particularly good team.
Are they on the right track to improving? Yes, they are. But they would do well to simply compete for a playoff spot this season even if they can't quite make it in. If they do get in, fantastic, then they've taken the next step. But make no mistake...this group is still trying to find its competitive legs and TK along with them. But for his part, I like the way he is developing. Truly making the most with what he has to work with at the moment.

Some things Konecny could work on:

---Work away from the puck. Maybe be a bit more physically involved. He doesn't have to blast people out of their skates, but good solid checks to impede the opposition when there really isn't any chance for him to get possession of the puck. Make the other player cough it up here and there and hopefully a teammate can pick up the loose change.
Or better still, work on his stickchecking...same result...either relieve the carrier of the puck, or at the very least, disrupt that player's plans.

---Protecting the puck better. Cut down on turnovers. He can do this by making better decisions where he will put the puck when he has no open linemates and he isn't really free to make plays himself.
Don't try to force any plays that simply aren't there.

But you know, those criticisms can be leveled at just about any young player his age.
The cement headed ones keep doing the same bad things over and over....the good ones learn from it, improve, and make their overall games better. I think TK is the latter.

Let's give him some more games before we start comparing his season to last...see if he continues his improvements or takes a step back.
I have confidence that he will just continue to get better....and if he can ever find true chemistry with some linemates (and if the Flyers can provide him with regular top end linemates) his production should increase quickly as well.
And no knock on Sean Coutourier (his oftentimes linemate), he is good, but I think both those guys could use an upgrade on the other wing on their line.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
TK 10pts in 7 games? What's wrong with TK? What's wrong with you?

:neener:

Yea, I don't see how anyone can ask "What's wrong with TK?"
As some have already pointed out... 10 points in 7 games for starters.

Any comparisons to last season simply can't be made yet.....too small a sample size for this season.

It's a thread bump, guys.

The first page and a half of posts is from January. Middle of last season. The thread got bumped by a guy pumping his tires, showing how good he has been as a rebuttal to the thread. No one has said "what's wrong with Konecny" for almost a year.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have confidence that he will just continue to get better....and if he can ever find true chemistry with some linemates (and if the Flyers can provide him with regular top end linemates) his production should increase quickly as well.
And no knock on Sean Coutourier (his oftentimes linemate), he is good, but I think both those guys could use an upgrade on the other wing on their line.

Tbf to Lindblom since he entered the NHL he has got really quite tough minutes, yet managed to produce at 2nd line level, while having fantastic ExGF% stats and some of the best ExGF% rel in the entire NHL. The only winger with better ExGF% rel since his debut is Mark Stone.

He is the Flyers best defensive winger at 23 years old as well (was last year at 22 too).

Has scored at 50 point pace/82 since being taken off the 4th line for the last time in Janaury (over ~50 games).

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Oh have flyers fans given up on that? I heard it as recently as last season.... good to hear.

Provy is really good. Sanheim is really good. Myers will be really good. York should be really good.

We’ve given up on s***.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad