Player Discussion: Travis Hamonic

Rhino1985

Jul 3, 2015
LoL. A happy medium is good. I've noticed these streak of offensive magic seem to come in clumps, as if Jack the Cap is ending the last practice of every month by saying, "Ok, and Travis, this week I want to see you get at least two solid rushes up ice. I want you to focus on that over all that other defensive stuff." Yeah, I know it isn't happening exactly like that but it sure does seem like he gets a fortune cookie every so often that says, "This week, go long for hidden treasure."

That's about all I am asking for. Pronger slowly developed his offensive game, over time, and it feels to me like that approach would play better to Travis' strengths. It feels like they push the offense button on him a little too hard sometimes, then we get bad defensive shifts from the one guy I expect solid shifts every single shift. Well, two guys now that we have the Chuk.

I couldn't agree more. Travis is still young and he should be working on his offensive game, but he doesn't have to get rush-happy to do so. I think Boychuk is a good comparison. I could see Hammer being a similar player when he is 30/31 years old.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
de Haan's mediocre play? Hamonic has looked his best when paired with CdH. Even though CdH wasn't as good last year, he wasn't a train wreck as so many seem to believe. The deMonic pairing has been our top pair so far in the season.

Are you forgetting how many games Hammer played with Strait last year? I think you're confusing Strait with CdH.

CDH struggled last season, sophomore slump perhaps? This year Dehaan has been great, easily our besr pairing thus far.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
100% agree with you. Hamonic is our best defensemen. He was our best defenseman last year, but was being dragged down by Dehaans mediocre play.

Ok common... our best defenseman? Really?

Well, I know Cappy agrees with you cuz it seems like he's always on the ice. But then again Cappy is the same coach who plays Strait 20+ mins.

Anyway, I guess I'm just not seeing it.

What I see is a solid dman who plays a physical and honest game who skates well, but is somewhat limited when the puck is on his stick.

Imo That last part holds him back more than ppl think

The way things have looked so far this season, I'd pencil him in as our 4th best dman...which shouldn't get ppl upset because the guys ahead of him are pretty friggin good.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Ok common... our best defenseman? Really?

Well, I know Cappy agrees with you cuz it seems like he's always on the ice. But then again Cappy is the same coach who plays Strait 20+ mins.

Anyway, I guess I'm just not seeing it.

What I see is a solid dman who plays a physical and honest game who skates well, but is somewhat limited when the puck is on his stick.

Imo That last part holds him back more than ppl think

The way things have looked so far this season, I'd pencil him in as our 4th best dman...which shouldn't get ppl upset because the guys ahead of him are pretty friggin good.

There is no way Hamonic is the 4th best defensemen on the team. He skates well, very strong in the corners, good in front of the net, and he is physical. As of this season Hamonic has been the best defenseman, followed by Boychuk, Dehaan and Leddy.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
There is no way Hamonic is the 4th best defensemen on the team. He skates well, very strong in the corners, good in front of the net, and he is physical. As of this season Hamonic has been the best defenseman, followed by Boychuk, Dehaan and Leddy.

I'd peg him at #3 right now. Leddy and Boychuk are better BUT I like his direction. He has been focusing on defense. Maybe there is hope for Capuano after all. Woah, I got a little crazy there.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Obviously we can break down anything to the innermost parts, but I prefer to consider them as pairings and right now we have 2 pairings that are performing at a very high level. They complement each other well and really have good chemistry. While I don't need to see Hamonic get 25 minutes every game, the top 2 pairing should generally have 22-23 minutes, in rough terms, leaving Hickey/Zid with around 16.

And now that Hickey is back, our 3rd pairing is pretty solid as well. Wouldn't mind one of Mayfield/Pulock there every 2nd/3rd game, but its working right now, so I'm not saying anything.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i am hesitant to go by icetime, as an indicator of who is our best. PP's and PK's have a lot to do with this, and i think Cappy is somewhat planning for a decent run into the PO's.

i think he is giving Hammer and deHaan some premium time, to 1) get them lots of experience, mostly deHaan. and 2) give Leddy and Boychuk, who are both experienced, a 'bit' of a rest.

the way the guys are playing right now, i would just kind of lump Leddy, Boychuk and Hammer in as the same grouping. deHaan just below them, and Hickey and Zid, just below him.

the top 3, i will call Hamchuddy for short.

Last edited:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
What do mottau,eaton,hillen,Jurcina,martinek,Gervais,Reese ,WISHART, wisniewski,macdonalds,sims,katic,doornbosh,and campagnale all have in common? They all played D for the islanders in 2010-2011.
possibly being one of the worst groups of D men ever assembled . This allowed us to bring up to the NHL after only 19 games in bridgeport travis Hamonic . Next week makes 5 fast years since his call up.
Wisniewski was going to be the man here until he gave sean Avery the deep throat gesture
That IMO was the reason he was traded. Hamonic was like a shinning star coming in. Raw, youthful ,
Physical, and ready to go. We accepted every mistake he made because we hoped he would gain
experience and one day be a rock on our back end. All of this has come true. If he was 20 years old now,
Instead of in 2010, we may have never got to see him play in the NHL. He might have been in the Leddy or Boychuk trades, or he would be doing his time in bridgeport for 2,3,4 years until brian strait goes away. Looking at mayfield,pulock,and even Pelech, gives a warm and fuzzy feeling that our D ( once we lose strait and Zid ) will be in great shape for years to come.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
What do mottau,eaton,hillen,Jurcina,martinek,Gervais,Reese ,WISHART, wisniewski,macdonalds,sims,katic,doornbosh,and campagnale all have in common? They all played D for the islanders in 2010-2011.
possibly being one of the worst groups of D men ever assembled . This allowed us to bring up to the NHL after only 19 games in bridgeport travis Hamonic . Next week makes 5 fast years since his call up.
Wisniewski was going to be the man here until he gave sean Avery the deep throat gesture
That IMO was the reason he was traded. Hamonic was like a shinning star coming in. Raw, youthful ,
Physical, and ready to go. We accepted every mistake he made because we hoped he would gain
experience and one day be a rock on our back end. All of this has come true. If he was 20 years old now,
Instead of in 2010, we may have never got to see him play in the NHL. He might have been in the Leddy or Boychuk trades, or he would be doing his time in bridgeport for 2,3,4 years until brian strait goes away. Looking at mayfield,pulock,and even Pelech, gives a warm and fuzzy feeling that our D ( once we lose strait and Zid ) will be in great shape for years to come.

I remember being at a game, where hamonic got hit with a slapshot in the mouth/nose area. Huge pool of blood on the ice, he skated off on his own with a towel covering his face. That could have set him back but it didn't. He is a very good player and better person, we all know why. Good to see he is still an Islander.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...appy-that-he-stayed-with-islanders-1.12330956

Travis Hamonic was finishing his annual drive from Winnipeg to Long Island on Wednesday morning. He turned to Stephanie, his wife of two months, and said simply:

“It feels like home.â€

There were only conflicted feelings for the Islanders defenseman at this time last year. He had arrived prior to training camp burdened by a difficult family situation, one that prompted a very surprising request to general manager Garth Snow — Hamonic asked Snow for a trade almost a year ago to the day, preferably to the Jets in Hamonic’s hometown so he could better handle the family matter that he has chosen not to speak about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad