Player Discussion: Travis Hamonic

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
...and he's not waiving his stick around like a lunatic asking for a pass when he's open now either...at least not all the time. he does take lame shots though in the offensive zone when maybe he could do something more...creative.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/travis-hamonic-had-a-quiet-but-impressive-game/

Travis Hamonic played a silent, but strong game to help the Islanders defeat the Maple Leafs.

Hamonic assisted on Anders Lee’s eventual game winner, extending his points streak to four games, and was a +3 in 23 minutes in Thursday’s win over Toronto.

In 45 games, Hamonic has three goals, 16 assists and is a +9. He has five assists over his last four, and eight assists in nine games since the All-Star break.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Strongly disagree with people saying Hamonic is a #3. He's easily a #2 right now, and getting better. Best dman on the team imo, always goes against the top lines and tough assignments.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
The kids a stud, he has taken huge steps forward this year. Its hard to think that he is just 24 years old, he can easily continue to progress into a very solid #1 defenseman. Give him another 10lbs of muscle and he will will every battle in the corners.

He has stepped his game up big time this year, hes quickly becoming my favorite player. Love the way he plays the game.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
I have a concern about his play as of late is there anything going on? This is fantasy hockey related he seems to being dropped in my leagues I think over 700 teams have dropped him, why? I still have him on my team and he is producing especially HITS.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I have a concern about his play as of late is there anything going on? This is fantasy hockey related he seems to being dropped in my leagues I think over 700 teams have dropped him, why? I still have him on my team and he is producing especially HITS.
I think he's been playing great. He's been one of our best D-men. He plays the toughest minutes and the most minutes of anyone on the team.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Depending on your league he's not always your normal fantasy hockey stud. It doesn't mean he is not a useful hockey player just not always fantasy useful.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Not a fantasy player, but a heck of a hockey player. Maybe people picked him up after Leddy was hurt? or while Visnovsky missed time? since Hamonic was (and still is) getting the odd PP time? But Hamonic isn't (and likely won't ever be) a big fantasy player (not for goals/assists, anyway). I think Leddy's the one Islander that will emerge into that role with Pulock being the Al MacInnis/PK Subban "big shot" PP point guy on the horizon. That PP QB remains a huge hole for the Islanders.

I think Boychuk would fill that role better than Hamonic, right now, but neither are suited to that role.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Not a fantasy player, but a heck of a hockey player. Maybe people picked him up after Leddy was hurt? or while Visnovsky missed time? since Hamonic was (and still is) getting the odd PP time? But Hamonic isn't (and likely won't ever be) a big fantasy player (not for goals/assists, anyway). I think Leddy's the one Islander that will emerge into that role with Pulock being the Al MacInnis/PK Subban "big shot" PP point guy on the horizon. That PP QB remains a huge hole for the Islanders.

I think Boychuk would fill that role better than Hamonic, right now, but neither are suited to that role.

Tell you the truth I really like Hamonic on my team as a defenseman. The stats we count are G A PTS +/- PIM HITS PPP SOG. My dman are Keith, Faulk, Muzzin, Hamonic. I'm going to have to cut one dman to pick up either Shattenkirk, E.Johnson, Vatanen, Klingberg, Daley, Del Zotto, Klein. I will probably pick up Shattenkirk and drop Muzzin for him. Yes I prefer Hamonic over Muzzin.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Hamonic's offense

Whadaya guys think? I'm really shocked (in a pleasant way) by his numbers. I always saw Hamonic as more of a stay-at-home guy with modest offensive skills. But, the assist totals seem pretty notable.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's definitely had a nice offensive breakout, but I think he's doing too much. The Isles need him more in their own zone than in the offensive zone.

Also, he's not a good partner for de Haan if he's going to continually act like he's Bobby Orr.

I think Reinhart would be a better partner for him moving forward and once Pulock is up I don't want to see Hamonic near the powerplay. Too many AMac-esque wristers off opponents' shins for my liking.

Someone previously mentioned Reinhart with Hamonic, and Pulock with de Haan and I'm liking the sound of that moving forward (assuming de Haan regains his rookie year form).

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I love it. He has wheels, no doubting it. With Leddy and Boychuk in the fold, he can take advantage of playing 22 minutes instead of the 26 he was getting per game.

When he's not hitting shins, I'm all for it as he can really bring it through the neutral zone well.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I love Hamonic's game and the fact he's trying to become Bobby Orr is something I applaud! He's not perfect, tries to do too much, isn't very smooth or polished offensively (i.e. he ain't no Brian Leetch) - but adding offense to his stellar defensive game is amazing for this Isles team.

AND check the contract! wow.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
He's definitely had a nice offensive breakout, but I think he's doing too much. The Isles need him more in their own zone than in the offensive zone.

Also, he's not a good partner for de Haan if he's going to continually act like he's Bobby Orr.

I think Reinhart would be a better partner for him moving forward and once Pulock is up I don't want to see Hamonic near the powerplay. Too many AMac-esque wristers off opponents' shins for my liking.

Someone previously mentioned Reinhart with Hamonic, and Pulock with de Haan and I'm liking the sound of that moving forward (assuming de Haan regains his rookie year form).

I think deHaan gets a lot of credit for Hamonic's year as he's been given the role of defensive dman to Hamonic's green light, riverboat gambler style Its worked out well for Travis. It hasn't worked out as well for DeHaan offensively (or defensively)but he's taken one for the team this year and that shows character. Best of all he's injury free.

I like the Hamonic-Reinhart, DeHaan-Pulock pairings as well.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Love the way Hamonic is playing this year, with so much confidence. This is how he played against Pittsburgh in the playoffs 2 years ago. I don't like him trying to be so offensive, he is still leading the Islanders in shooting and missing the net, but he is putting up his best numbers yet. I think having Boychuck and Leddy helps him, in that Hamonic doesn't have to be the best Dman on the team anymore.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Love the way Hamonic is playing this year, with so much confidence. This is how he played against Pittsburgh in the playoffs 2 years ago. I don't like him trying to be so offensive, he is still leading the Islanders in shooting and missing the net, but he is putting up his best numbers yet. I think having Boychuck and Leddy helps him, in that Hamonic doesn't have to be the best Dman on the team anymore.

....but be secretly is the best dman on the team?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He's playing with a lot of snarl which I like but that is also leading to a lot of penalties, which isn't so great. The trick is to be that physical dman that we need without taking the unnecessary penalties.

Overall though, I'm definitely happy with his year.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This thread is the difference in why we are watching the 2nd round instead of watching Clutter cheapshot Zuccarello.

Hamonic is so underrated for what he brings to the table, and we got pushed around so much in the washington series and that does not happen to the degree it did with #3 on the ice.

If you want to know why the Isles are not in NYC this week... think back to the last road game of the season and what we lost there.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=777654

For a player who wants to give his all, the best thing for Travis Hamonic last season was doing less.

Less is relative, of course, as Hamonic did play a team-high 21:47 per game, though that’s down from 25 minutes per contest the season before – 11th most in the league. The Islanders primary shutdown defenseman eclipsed 25-minutes of ice 34 times two seasons ago, but only touched that mark six times last season.

The Islanders’ minute-eating additions of Johnny Boychuk and Nick Leddy at the start of the 2014-15 season had a positive impact on Hamonic, who put up a career-year offensively with 33 points (five goals, 28 assists).

“He really took a step forward for me,” Head Coach Jack Capuano said. “He didn’t have to play 28/29 minutes the way him and Andrew MacDonald were doing that one year. It was a defense-first mentality where it always needs to be with our hockey club, but he gained more confidence with the offense. He always knew what the system was, but he executed it much better.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad