NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Iginla is not worth a top 10 pick. He has an on and off motor which always worries me.

The Habs board taking him at #5 is the most Habs thing ever.

Compensate for missing out on Brady by drafting a guy who shares a last name with a hard nosed hall of fame player but in reality doesn't really look like the same type of guy.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
The annual mock draft thread is coming our way tomorrow..
In with UTAH right now.. Buium (1) and Silayev (2) leading the way early. If you want to go check it out .. you can see the results without voting in that poll.
I don't vote in other fan base polls.

Buium now running away with it and imo he will be a really good fit in UTAH

I'd be fascinated to see what they do if Silayev were on the board at 7, and they had to choose between him and an OHL guy (Dickinson, or perhaps Parekh) who they would know much, much better.

Who's pounding the table for Silayev in that scenario?

Reactions: bicboi64 and DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'll be happy to take either guy, though I wish either of them was a righty...
It would mean one will replace chabot in the future and our left side would look like,

Sanderson
Buium/Silayev
Kleven

Doesn’t get much better than that so can’t complain.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
It would mean one will replace chabot in the future and our left side would look like,

Sanderson
Buium/Silayev
Kleven

Buium strikes me as the kind of defenceman who could play his off side just fine. He has the smarts, the small area puck skills, and the craftiness.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Sanderson
Buium/Silayev
Kleven

I think if it's Silayev, we'd need a serious upgrade on the right side in terms of puck movers, can't expect Sanderson to do it all himself.

That said, I think people are a bit quick to move on from Chabot, I expect he's here going forward.

Reactions: DrEasy and OD99

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd be fascinated to see what they do if Silayev were on the board at 7, and they had to choose between him and an OHL guy (Dickinson, or perhaps Parekh) who they would know much, much better.

no idea what how much the Sens scouted Silayev .. given he has been ranked very high on McKenzie's list .. I would hope they have devoted some effort in that direction.

I would take him and make a valid case for him if he's there but .. that means less than zero. I like all 3 players and I think they can justify any of them based on their individual traits

Yakemchuk is still there as well.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think if it's Silayev, we'd need a serious upgrade on the right side in terms of puck movers, can't expect Sanderson to do it all himself.

That said, I think people are a bit quick to move on from Chabot, I expect he's here going forward.
There are good RDs later in the draft. Stronger defensively than the RDs ranked top 15 and good first pass guys. Although not as good offensively ...which typically drops them because they are not seen as having top pair upside.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Looks like Silayev, Dickinson, Parekh for defensemen, along with Helenius and Catton at forward will be left on the board for the team draft board.

sad to see Buium go, but those are really good options left. I think you could make a pretty argument for most of those guys.
Having Silayev and Kleven on the backend seems pretty attractive to me…decisions decisions.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The Habs board taking him at #5 is the most Habs thing ever.

Compensate for missing out on Brady by drafting a guy who shares a last name with a hard nosed hall of fame player but in reality doesn't really look like the same type of guy.

I don't think it has anything to do with Brady, but rather reaching for Reinbacher with the 5th pick last year.

They passed up Michkov and Leonard to do that, and now they have a surplus of young defensemen with little forward talent in the pipeline, so all their fans think they should draft for need and reach for a scorer.

Talk about wasting the potential of back to back top 5 picks :laugh:

MoreGore

Jul 13, 2022
Trade 7 to Philly for 12 and 30
Trade 12 to Chicago for 20 and 34

Sens draft 20, 26, 30, 34 and 36.

Shotgun approach to fill in the roster around our core.
This does nothing for our core. Those guys, should they contribute will arrive too late. Anybody we draft now, even at 7 will not contribute for most likely 3 years. Sanderson arrived year 3 for example.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't think it has anything to do with Brady, but rather reaching for Reinbacher with the 5th pick last year.

They passed up Michkov and Leonard to do that, and now they have a surplus of young defensemen with little forward talent in the pipeline, so all their fans think they should draft for need and reach for a scorer.

Talk about wasting the potential of back to back top 5 picks :laugh:
As much as I think it was a mistake for them to pass on Michkov, building from the back end out is never a bad idea considering how it usually takes longer for D to develop. A forward they draft at #5 this year (Lindstrom, Catton, etc..) can still come help out when they're looking to compete. Only things holding back their rebuild is how much they might have to pay to move Anderson or Gallagher unless they retain half which shouldn't be an issue in 2-3 years

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

After Mann was let go, and after the departure of some pro scouts, I haven't heard of any major scouting hires (mostly internal promotions), so I imagine (and worry) that the drafting philosophy will essentially remain the same. This is why I think that they might go once again with bloodlines, shy away again from Russians, and go with Iginla.

Parekh is also a possibility, but I think the scouts have also a bit of a size fetish.

Happy to be proven wrong.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
After Mann was let go, and other than the departure of some pro scouts, I haven't heard of any major scouting hires (mostly internal promotions), so I imagine (and worry) that the drafting philosophy will essentially remain the same. This is why I think that they might go once again with bloodlines, shy away again from Russians, and go with Iginla.

Parekh is also a possibility, but I think the scouts have also a bit of a size fetish.

Well, Poulin did say they’ve brought analytics into it. He said Tierney goes to scouting meetings and asks questions, and it’s created debate and caused people to think differently. He was saying they use it mostly to compare prospect performance across different leagues but that could play a big factor. And they seem to be emphasizing hockey sense.

Reactions: DrEasy

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Well, Poulin did say they’ve brought analytics into it. He said Tierney goes to scouting meetings and asks questions, and it’s created debate and caused people to think differently. He was saying they use it mostly to compare prospect performance across different leagues but that could play a big factor. And they seem to be emphasizing hockey sense.
Did they bring in Mason McTavishs' father?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
After Mann was let go, and other than the departure of some pro scouts, I haven't heard of any major scouting hires (mostly internal promotions), so I imagine (and worry) that the drafting philosophy will essentially remain the same. This is why I think that they might go once again with bloodlines, shy away again from Russians, and go with Iginla.

To me, Dickinson is the guy who most fits the old profile. He's big, athletic and highly projectable, plus he plays a premium position. He's not the sexy pick, but he has that combo of high-floor plus tools-based upside that they loved.

Yes, they would have liked the Iginla bloodlines, but they basically never went for the averaged sized, skilled winger, I think in large part because, philosophically, they felt that that type of player was the easiest type of player to acquire outside of the top of the draft. Mann talked all the time about how the guys they picked high were the guys you couldn't trade for.

Last edited:

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
4A77BB48-8F5F-451C-B666-A98416BEDE42.png

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Yakemchuk seems like the best of all worlds to me in this draft. A right shot defensemen that projects to have relatively high upside on the offensive and defensive side of the puck. He has superstar potential if he can put it together, but there are still some significant gaps in his game that may prevent him reaching his peak. I am not not that concerned with his skating. He has a powerful stride and starts to gallop when going full speed. His initial quickness can be sorted out when he matures into his body. His decision making issues seem to be more related to a young guy trying to do too much on offensively pedestrian team.

Parehk scares me. He is a very nonchalant kind of player who exhibits an unwillingness to engage defensively, with virtually no physicality to his game. He could end up like with elements of Karlsson in his game or he could be a more offensive but less defensive and physical Erik Brannstrom (maybe hyperbole, but gets the point across).

I like Zeev Buium considerably more than Parehk, but there are issues with him too. One of his main moves is to go to his his right, with one hand on his stick, while using other to shield the defender. He does it a lot. It has been pointed out in a couple of scouting videos and I am not sure if it will work on smaller ice at higher levels. It reminds me of David Rundblad stutter step move he used to freeze defenders with while holding the blue line in Sweden, fake left and go right. It never worked at the NHL level. Buium's defensive game is really suspect as well, but at least there is some physical engagement. With that being said, I think he does have superstar potential and I would have hard time passing him up #7 if he is there. I suspect he won't be though.

Levshunov, Dickinson and Silayev don't really excite me much. I don't see the offensive upside. Sure, Silayev could turn into something special, but there is a lot of projecting going on. And couple this with the Russian factor, it just doesn't seem like a good fit.

I liked Iginla initially as a forward. But watching him in the U18s, I wasn't overly impressed. The same goes with Helenius.

But hey, what do I know?

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yakemchuk seems like the best of all worlds to me in this draft. A right shot defensemen that projects to have relatively high upside on the offensive and defensive side of the puck. He has superstar potential if he can put it together, but there are still some significant gaps in his game that may prevent him reaching his peak. I am not not that concerned with his skating. He has a powerful stride and starts to gallop when going full speed. His initial quickness can be sorted out when he matures into his body. His decision making issues seem to be more related to a young guy trying to do too much on offensively pedestrian team.

Parehk scares me. He is a very nonchalant kind of player who exhibits an unwillingness to engage defensively, with virtually no physicality to his game. He could end up like with elements of Karlsson in his game or he could be a more offensive but less defensive and physical Erik Brannstrom (maybe hyperbole, but gets the point across).

I like Zeev Buium considerably more than Parehk, but there are issues with him too. One of his main moves is to go to his his right, with one hand on his stick, while using other to shield the defender. He does it a lot. It has been pointed out in a couple of scouting videos and I am not sure if it will work on smaller ice at higher levels. It reminds me of David Rundblad stutter step move he used to freeze defenders with while holding the blue line in Sweden, fake left and go right. It never worked at the NHL level. Buium's defensive game is really suspect as well, but at least there is some physical engagement. With that being said, I think he does have superstar potential and I would have hard time passing him up #7 if he is there. I suspect he won't be though.

Levshunov, Dickinson and Silayev don't really excite me much. I don't see the offensive upside. Sure, Silayev could turn into something special, but there is a lot of projecting going on. And couple this with the Russian factor, it just doesn't seem like a good fit.

I liked Iginla initially as a forward. But watching him in the U18s, I wasn't overly impressed. The same goes with Helenius.

But hey, what do I know?
Yakemchuk needs to learn how to defend imo. I would put him at the end of the group and probably strongly consider a forward ahead of him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Silayev is intriguing - Chara vibes I suppose.

Are there any issues getting a player out of Russia, KHL contract, or anything else that could be a concern?

I can see a few HF Senator fans being elated over this pick. LOL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

But hey, what do I know?
I agree on Yakemchuk RD, IMO he checks off a lot of boxes that I think the Sens need. He already has NHL size at 6'3", 194 lbs, he is a right shot D which they need & are valuable, he has a mean streak given his 120 mins in penalties & Ott needs someone on the backend with a mean streak to be harder to play against. He also had 30 goals & 42 assists so he has some offence to his game, although I expect that Sanderson & Chabot will likely carry most of the offence for the next few yrs, but this guy could step in there in a few yrs when Chabot starts to decline. I expect that Brannstrom & Chychrun to be replaced this offseason & most likely they will bring in a bigger tougher UFA D to replace at least one of them for the short term.

This could also be an opportunity for Ottawa to collect maybe another pick if someone wants to move up & they think they can move down a couple of spots & still draft Yakemchuk. Calgary might be in the best position to do that & Calgary is a team where they could expand the trade to maybe include a player or two Ott might want. Dickinson, Silayev, Buium are all left shots & they don't need a left shot, they need a right shot D who can eventually climb into the top 4. Levshunov RD will probably be gone by the time Ott picks & Parekh IMO is just more of the same kind of D they already have & they need to change it up with a good big tough RD & IMO that's Yakemchuk. Of course, if Lindstrom C/LW falls to them or Levshunov RD I would consider both of them as well.

Yakemchuk needs to learn how to defend imo. I would put him at the end of the group and probably strongly consider a forward ahead of him.
Agreed, but he also has plenty of time to learn how to defend properly in the NHL, at the least it's a trait they can learn while being an offensive D is more a God given talent. Every young prospect has warts, if poor defending is his only fault Ott would be lucky to have him, he seems to check a lot of boxes IMO. I also expect that a better system would help along with a good defensive partner.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I agree on Yakemchuk RD, IMO he checks off a lot of boxes that I think the Sens need. He already has NHL size at 6'3", 194 lbs, he is a right shot D which they need & are valuable, he has a mean streak given his 120 mins in penalties & Ott needs someone on the backend with a mean streak to be harder to play against. He also had 30 goals & 42 assists so he has some offence to his game, although I expect that Sanderson & Chabot will likely carry most of the offence for the next few yrs, but this guy could step in there in a few yrs when Chabot starts to decline. I expect that Brannstrom & Chychrun to be replaced this offseason & most likely they will bring in a bigger tougher UFA D to replace at least one of them for the short term.

This could also be an opportunity for Ottawa to collect maybe another pick if someone wants to move up & they think they can move down a couple of spots & still draft Yakemchuk. Calgary might be in the best position to do that & Calgary is a team where they could expand the trade to maybe include a player or two Ott might want. Dickinson, Silayev, Buium are all left shots & they don't need a left shot, they need a right shot D who can eventually climb into the top 4. Levshunov RD will probably be gone by the time Ott picks & Parekh IMO is just more of the same kind of D they already have & they need to change it up with a good big tough RD & IMO that's Yakemchuk. Of course, if Lindstrom C/LW falls to them or Levshunov RD I would consider both of them as well.

Agreed, but he also has plenty of time to learn how to defend properly in the NHL, at the least it's a trait they can learn while being an offensive D is more a God given talent. Every young prospect has warts, if poor defending is his only fault Ott would be lucky to have him, he seems to check a lot of boxes IMO. I also expect that a better system would help along with a good defensive partner.
Idk about that. Not taking a guy top 10 who needs to “learn” how to defend. Probably a pass for me. Still have to study more.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Idk about that. Not taking a guy top 10 who needs to “learn” how to defend. Probably a pass for me. Still have to study more.
Defence can be learned & having him in a good system with a good partner will help, they are 18 yrs old, most of these kids are going to have some warts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad