Travis Hamonic up for an award, Representing the NHL.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
If I had to guess the real reason you're upset is do to you overlaying your prejudice towards Christianity on Hamonic.

No, I'm "upset" when athletes like Hamonic do things like this for attention so they can get a pat on the back. He has a camera crew film it. And now he's up for awards. Yes, it rubs me the wrong way.

That and the "Hamonic grew up in a religious family" as his bio description on a site for a humanitarian aware are 2 different issues. As I said, it would be equally as ridiculous of it said he was an Atheist or a Muslim.

Btw, a quick google search of Hamonic and I found 5 different articles where Hamonic is talking about his acts of charity.

Clearly we have a difference of opinion. Some people think it's okay to do a charity act and seek attention and praise for it. Hey maybe if it gets enough attention, he will be seen as a good guy and get a marketing deal for McDonalds or something.

And some people like myself think acts of charity and good deeds are meant to go unnoticed and unspoken.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
Is there a camera filming him with the kids after every game or is it only occasionally?

If the camera is there afer every game, I might have to agree with JamieG. When you're good deeds are exposed to the public it could ruin your intention. It might not have been his initial intention, but there's no need to always have the camera there.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
No, I'm "upset" when athletes like Hamonic do things like this for attention so they can get a pat on the back. He has a camera crew film it. And now he's up for awards. Yes, it rubs me the wrong way.

That and the "Hamonic grew up in a religious family" as his bio description on a site for a humanitarian aware are 2 different issues. As I said, it would be equally as ridiculous of it said he was an Atheist or a Muslim.

Btw, a quick google search of Hamonic and I found 5 different articles where Hamonic is talking about his acts of charity.

Clearly we have a difference of opinion. Some people think it's okay to do a charity act and seek attention and praise for it. Hey maybe if it gets enough attention, he will be seen as a good guy and get a marketing deal for McDonalds or something.

And some people like myself think acts of charity and good deeds are meant to go unnoticed and unspoken.

Serious question. If a reporter asks you about your act of charity are you supposed to not answer and say "I don't wanna talk about my charity work because if I do people on the Internet will say how I do this for publicity"

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
It doesn't matter where it originated from.
It's on a site for voting for a humanitarian award and it appears on his bio description. It's ridiculous. Do other nominees say "So and so is an Atheist and wears number 0 to represent his belief in God". It's absurd. Mentioning his religious beliefs (or lack of if that were the case) when people click on his profile is completely out of place.

Blame the organization for not putting more details into his bio description then, not Hamonic.

He had a camera crew film his "charity work" and had an extended feature done about him that ran on an ESPN special and also on TSN . Fans nominated him for the award because Hamonic had ESPN film his good deeds for a special.

Are you honestly suggesting that Hamonic set up a massive scheme to be aired by ESPN so he can get star points for charity work. Are you a ginger? Do you lack a soul?

You honestly have no reason to be a dick about this, but since you are so righteous, can you post a link to the JamieG Foundation? I'll support the cause. I'll even make a video for you to get others informed and involved.

Don't fret about answering the question or the increased awareness of your charity, I won't judge you for seeking praise for your contributions in the same way you are judging Hamonic.

EDIT: Honestly, take a step back and think about the fact that you are giving someone **** for doing an act of charity.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Having a camera crew for a major network film your good deeds talking to kids who are clearly uncomfortable talking about personal issues in front of a camera crew would count as proof in my book.

You seem to be fixated on the idea that Hamonic invited ESPN to come see how awesome he is. I highly doubt he contacted them himself, in all likelihood it was the other way around.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hamonic also had a hit man knock off his old man when he was a kid because he knew one day he would be a pro hockey player and he wanted to make sure he help other kids who lost thier parents so he could be noticed for his charitable and good deeds.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Is there a camera filming him with the kids after every game or is it only occasionally?

If the camera is there afer every game, I might have to agree with JamieG. When you're good deeds are exposed to the public it could ruin your intention. It might not have been his initial intention, but there's no need to always have the camera there.

Hamonic meets with mourning kids after every home game, as mentioned in the 30 for 30 Episode. He also acknowledges that it's helping him as well. The healing goes both ways.

Broadcasting his charitable work also serves as a means of reaching out to other kids who've lost their parents, it can be comforting for them to know that other people, even pro athletes faced similar adversity and did something good with themselves.

You've got this one all wrong. You say his good deeds have been "exposed", which has a negative connotation. The more appropriate word would probably be showcased, displayed.

Some of you sound like you're implying Hamonic is milking this. In a league where guys are caught with dope, wrapped up in domestic abuse scandals, gambling, assaults, etc. It is strange you've chosen to knock a stand up player like Hamonic.

I heard as soon as the cameras turn off, he takes their candy and tells them they won't amount to anything.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
Hamonic meets with mourning kids after every home game, as mentioned in the 30 for 30 Episode. He also acknowledges that it's helping him as well. The healing goes both ways.

Broadcasting his charitable work also serves as a means of reaching out to other kids who've lost their parents, it can be comforting for them to know that other people, even pro athletes faced similar adversity and did something good with themselves.

You've got this one all wrong. You say his good deeds have been "exposed", which has a negative connotation. The more appropriate word would probably be showcased, displayed.

Some of you sound like you're implying Hamonic is milking this. In a league where guys are caught with dope, wrapped up in domestic abuse scandals, gambling, assaults, etc. It is strange you've chosen to knock a stand up player like Hamonic.

I heard as soon as the cameras turn off, he takes their candy and tells them they won't amount to anything.

I generally like to stay away from these types of conversations because people tend to not be able to think clearly and actually discuss a comment (really haven't seen too much rationale thought yet in this thread), but yet here I am.

I bolded the last point because it is, unfortunately, pretty much what some celebrities are like when their charitable work is not occurring with a camera on them. Does this mean that everyone who ends up in the spot-light for charitable work is doing this? No, but some will be. Unfortunately there will be extremists on both ends on how people choose to view these stories because of this. The vast majority will praise Hamonic and assume he is as he is portrayed here (I myself will think higher of him because of this until something actually concrete comes out to prove it wrong) however a minority will assume he is like some other celeb who only wanted to improve their public image.

Good on Hamonic for doing this charity work and also for not even feeling that it is like charity. Hopefully it continues for a long, long time.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

I guess you're just one of those people who like to complain about everything. That's very unfortunate.

Hamonic has been doing this since his second season so you're previous comment about it starting in 2014 is inaccurate. And you really think he's seeking attention? He does this after every home game. We saw maybe 5 different situations on that show out of the 100s he's done. And if charity work is important to him then why wouldn't he talk about it?

I also don't understand why you would have a problem with it even if he was looking for attention. He's clearly done a lot of good for these kids. That's really all that matters.

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey

Your take on this is, quite frankly, disgusting. As someone who lost his father early, I could only wish I had a platform that helped others deal with what I went through in a healthier and more productive way.

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey
however a minority will assume he is like some other celeb who only wanted to improve their public image.

Good on Hamonic for doing this charity work and also for not even feeling that it is like charity. Hopefully it continues for a long, long time.

He's a defenseman on the Islanders. WHAT public image? :laugh:

Seriously though, I've never heard a bad thing said about him. He's a genuine role model, in a world where sports stars are oft times ego maniacal, idiots, or human pieces of garbage *cough*Mayweather*cough*

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
My co workers son was one of the kids Hamonic met with this year. His mother passed away suddenly 3 or 4 days before Christmas break from a brain aneurysm.

Needless to say, he is a massive Islanders fan now and his dad can't sing enough praises of the guy and how much he helped his son. Hamonic gives these kids his phone number and they call and talk or just text on a solid basis.

I would say what I think of the people giving Hamonic a hard time about this but I don't want to be banned from this site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad