Travis Hamonic up for an award, Representing the NHL.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
He grew up in a religious family and wears #3 as a sign of the Holy Trinity.

???? That is something to consider when giving a humanitarian award??

Anyway, personally I think it's wrong to give awards for this stuff. True "charity work" goes unnoticed because you don't do it for recognition. I'm kind of turned off that Hamonic makes sure he gets so much attention for it.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Anyway, personally I think it's wrong to give awards for this stuff. True "charity work" goes unnoticed because you don't do it for recognition. I'm kind of turned off that Hamonic makes sure he gets so much attention for it.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Charity work is charity work.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Deleted my reply... not even worth it. I will merely say thank you Travis and all individuals recognized for this award. The world is made better by your efforts .

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada

You're right, he should probably stop helping people so he doesn't get mistaken for a selfish individual...

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.

1. That quote was ripped from his "Personal Life" section on wikipedia
2. Here's his charity work

Travis Hamonic D-partner of the Game
The 2014 season marked the second straight season for the D-Partner Program. At each home game, Hamonic hosted a child that had lost one or both parents. During the game, Hamonic’s D-Partner sits in special rink-side seats, high-fives the players as they walk onto the ice, receives an Islanders gift and meets Hamonic after the game. Travis signs autographs, takes pictures and tours the locker room with each special participant. During the post game visit the Travis and the families in attendance share stories about their loved ones who have passed.

3. Fans nominated him for the award, so what exactly did Hamonic do to make sure he got attention? The first I heard of this award was from this thread.
4. You're a jackass

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

He's been doing it for years without recognition. The media caught on and wanted to do an story on it.(ESPN)

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

God forbid he raises awareness on an under looked charitable group.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Not that it matters, but Hamonic makes it pretty clear that this isn't "charity" work, because he is in the relevant respect (lacking a parent due to death)in exactly the same position as the kids he hosts. What he does costs him almost no money, and he pretty clearly only seeks enough attention to continue the program.

I'm a huge Hamonic fan, and what he does is amazing. But I don't feel motivated to vote for him to get an award for it.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

I'm kind of turned off that you think like this.

Never heard about this great work Hamonic

Edit: I voted

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Nonsense.... how long has he been in the league? And no one knew about it until this season

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo

What?
:help:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Sorry. The day I vote for anything NY will be a cold day in hell.

My votes go to my hometown guys Charlie Batch and Larry Fitzgerald.

Last edited:

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

What? :laugh::shakehead

Sweet Chilly Heat

Dec 10, 2013

Of corse Charity work gets noticed, for all the right reasons. Its not like Hamonic does it for any other reason that he has a soft for kids who lose there parents and has the ability to give this young people a unbelivable memory in the midst of a tough time.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
1. That quote was ripped from his "Personal Life" section on wikipedia

It doesn't matter where it originated from.
It's on a site for voting for a humanitarian award and it appears on his bio description. It's ridiculous. Do other nominees say "So and so is an Atheist and wears number 0 to represent his belief in God". It's absurd. Mentioning his religious beliefs (or lack of if that were the case) when people click on his profile is completely out of place.

Charity work is charity work

Doing "charity work" for the wrong reasons does indeed demean it. Doing something because you want to be patted on the back or to get a tax break does fall below the true good people who do it because they want to help and don't do it so people can say "He's such a good guy".

Nonsense.... how long has he been in the league? And no one knew about it until this season

Incorrect my friend. 2014 marked the 2nd season of his program. That means he had it for one year and then did the feature for ESPN where he filmed his "good deeds" for the camera.

That's not exactly a lifetime of work without attention. That is actually a pretty quick timeline to start getting attention for it.

3. Fans nominated him for the award, so what exactly did Hamonic do to make sure he got attention? The first I heard of this award was from this thread.

He had a camera crew film his "charity work" and had an extended feature done about him that ran on an ESPN special and also on TSN . Fans nominated him for the award because Hamonic had ESPN film his good deeds for a special.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

If HFboards had a thumbs up/down system, the above would probably be one of the most disliked posts in site history. The guy uses his unique position in life to help children who are dealing with issues he can relate to. I would really like to see any proof that he "makes sure he gets so much attention for it". :shakehead

Bill_Crosby*

If I had to guess the real reason you're upset is do to you overlaying your prejudice towards Christianity on Hamonic.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I would really like to see any proof that he "makes sure he gets so much attention for it". :shakehead

Having a camera crew for a major network film your good deeds talking to kids who are clearly uncomfortable talking about personal issues in front of a camera crew would count as proof in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad