petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Sorry, not sure what thread to put this in, some ithoughts from the Head Coach:

Sportsnet 650‏Verified account @Sportsnet650 11m11 minutes ago

Travis Green:

"You look at championship teams & how many of their own drafted players they have. I think you need ten to win. We've got seven heading into next season, and in the next few years could have as many as 14 of our own drafted players in our line-up. That's exciting."

on Elias Pettersson: "Are we going to play him center? Are we going to play him wing? You know, we're going to try him all over the place and put him in a position to succeed. In the back of my mind, I'm hopeful he's going to have a hell of a season."

on Juolevi: "I had a nice conversation with Sami Salo about Olli's year. He likes the way he progressed. He was very confident that he's on the right track. Any time you hear the word surgery people panic, but he's a young guy. He'll bounce back. I'm not worried about it."

"We've challenged every player on our team, we need everyone to come back a better player. Brock Boeser had a great year. He can still improve. I'm excited to see how Ben Hutton comes back and I have full confidence he's going to have a great year."

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Sorry, not sure what thread to put this in, some ithoughts from the Head Coach:

Sportsnet 650‏Verified account @Sportsnet650 11m11 minutes ago

Travis Green:

"You look at championship teams & how many of their own drafted players they have. I think you need ten to win. We've got seven heading into next season, and in the next few years could have as many as 14 of our own drafted players in our line-up. That's exciting."

on Elias Pettersson: "Are we going to play him center? Are we going to play him wing? You know, we're going to try him all over the place and put him in a position to succeed. In the back of my mind, I'm hopeful he's going to have a hell of a season."

on Juolevi: "I had a nice conversation with Sami Salo about Olli's year. He likes the way he progressed. He was very confident that he's on the right track. Any time you hear the word surgery people panic, but he's a young guy. He'll bounce back. I'm not worried about it."

"We've challenged every player on our team, we need everyone to come back a better player. Brock Boeser had a great year. He can still improve. I'm excited to see how Ben Hutton comes back and I have full confidence he's going to have a great year."
I wonder if Travis Green had a chat with Loui Eriksson about how he needs to show up and actually play like a 6 mill per season player.And suggest to Gudbranson that he might need to wear glasses during the games ,and have a coversation with Tanev,that maybe he should get Tony Stark to build his hockey equipment.These guys are challenged to come back better every year,,my thing is,,if the recipe is not right ya change it up,,you dont keep bringing it back for more chances.This team is built on,,well we hope he can be better.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
One more:

Travis Green on SN 650 : "I am very excited, it's a new era on who we will see on the ice, leadership wise. It's an exciting time for the city with all the young players."
I like where Green is going with this...There was no doubt that it was crucial to rebuild the youth structure on the team (go back to 2014-15 and look how many impact players we had under 24)...

Even though there's going to be a lot of young players on the team,they are all going to go through it together..All young players want is the opportunity,..give them a chance..and they will usually surprise you.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Sounds like everyone is towing the company line. Heck they even had Ray Ferraro agree that trading the 7th overall for Hanifin would be great since he's an NHL'er which fits the Canucks MO of having no flipping patience. 14 draft picks on the Canucks soon huh. That's all it takes to win the cup? Whoo hoo! Reminds me of all the Cups the Oilers were gonna win before they drafted McDavid. Good times ahead.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think all he was getting at was that you want at least half of your roster to be drafted and raised through your system from day 1. Not sure it is a comment to face palm over.

As shareef said, its the fact that he has the number 14 in his head that makes me facepalm.

As the coach it's not a big deal but shows you that they are all drinking their own demented Kool aid.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Sounds like everyone is towing the company line. Heck they even had Ray Ferraro agree that trading the 7th overall for Hanifin would be great since he's an NHL'er which fits the Canucks MO of having no flipping patience. 14 draft picks on the Canucks soon huh. That's all it takes to win the cup? Whoo hoo! Reminds me of all the Cups the Oilers were gonna win before they drafted McDavid. Good times ahead.

Well at least we now know that taking Virtanen over Ehlers / Nylander wont hurt us any. Both are NHL players and you simply need 14 drafted players on your team to win the cup. It’s only the quantity of players that matters, not the quality.

Reactions: manroth19

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As shareef said, its the fact that he has the number 14 in his head that makes me facepalm.

As the coach it's not a big deal but shows you that they are all drinking their own demented Kool aid.
I think it would have been a lot less brow-raising of a comment if he had just left out the "I think you need ten to win" part. There's nothing necessarily wrong with just saying that you need a lot of home-grown players to be successful, and that we're on the right track because look how many we have. But the fact that he pulled an arbitrary and specific number out of his ass and used it to mathematically conclude that we're probably in okay shape is definitely pretty silly (albeit harmless).

It's kind of like saying "Successful teams have players who can take care of their own end. I think you need 12. We have 11, so we just need one more!"

Especially caught me off guard because Green doesn't usually use such dumb/overly simplistic logic. Sounded like something Willie D would say.

Last edited:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
All these idiots think that every draft pick will be an "NHL player".

Hell, Fin could be one too if they needed someone to play. Just cause they can, doesn't mean they should. And just because they are, doesn't mean they are any good.

This team lacks elite level talent but clearly these donkeys don't realize that.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Easy, no team is going to give anything of value for a nearly $3M Hutton after the season he had. Might as well keep him and hope he rebounds. Especially now that Juolevi probably doesn’t start the year in the NHL.
I'd rather get a 6th or 7th rounder for him. But perhaps you're right and no one would even offer that.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pumping Hutton's tires to maximise that 6th round pick return!

Ummm Hutton?
How can he be on this team next year?

Of the glut of #4/5/6/7 calibre defensemen on this team, I'm still of the belief that Hutton is the best of them. And his underlying numbers reflect that. Trading him for pennies accomplishes nothing. You can get (and we've seen this in the past) a pretty good performance from a Hutton-Tanev pair, even in tough minutes. None of the rest of the likes of Pouliot, MDZ, RealGud, etc have shown they can do that.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I like Hutton,allways have.When the whole team was sucking,he was the one pointed out.If they trade him,i think it will be a mistake.
I like Hutton too, and don't want him traded. But it seems par for the course that he would be moved, at his lowest value-point, for a relatively inconsequential or even actively harmful return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad