Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Most people hate the hire, but as always there are the contrarians who are doing their best to convince themselves this might be good, actually.

[Spoken Intro: Strother Martin]
What we've got here is failure to communicate
Some men, you just can't reach
So you get what we had here last week
Which is the way he wants it
Well, he gets it
*Whistling*
And I don't like it any more than you men

[Bridge]
Look at your young men fighting
Look at your women crying
Look at your young men dying
The way they've always done before
Look at the hate we're breeding
Look at the fear we're feeding
Look at the lives we're leading
The way we've always done before

[Verse 1]
My hands are tied
The billions shift from side to side
And the wars go on with brainwashed pride
For the love of God and our human rights
And all these things are swept aside
By bloody hands, time can't deny
And are washed away by your genocide
And history hides the lies of our civil wars

[Guitar Solo]

[Verse 2]
D'you wear a black armband when they shot the man
Who said, "Peace could last forever"?
And in my first memories, they shot Kennedy
I went numb when I learned to see
So I never fell for Vietnam
We got the wall in D.C. to remind us all
That you can't trust freedom when it's not in your hands
When everybody's fightin' for their promised land

[Chorus]
And I don't need your civil war
It feeds the rich, while it buries the poor
Your power-hungry, sellin' soldiers in a human grocery store
Ain't that fresh?
I don't need your civil war
Ooh, no, no, no, no, no, no

[Guitar Solo]

[Bridge]
Look at the shoes you're filling
Look at the blood we're spilling
Look at the world we're killing
The way we've always done before
Look in the doubt we've wallowed
Look at the leaders we've followed
Look at the lies we've swallowed
And I don't wanna hear no more

[Verse 3]
My hands are tied
For all I've seen has changed my mind
But still, the wars go on as the years go by
With no love of God or human rights
And all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

[Guitar Solo]

[Interlude]
We practice selective annihilation
Of mayors and government officials
For example, to create a vacuum
Then we fill that vacuum
As popular war advances
Peace is closer

[Chorus]
It feeds the rich, while it buries the poor
Ain't that fresh?
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no
Ain't that fresh?
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no
I don't need one more war
Ooh, I don't need one more war
No, no, no,, no woah, no woah

[Outro]
What's so civil 'bout war anyway?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Most people hate the hire, but as always there are the contrarians who are doing their best to convince themselves this might be good, actually.
To be this confident about a coach that you really dont know much about is next level stuff. Because someone trusts someone, that knows way more about hockey than you do, is now a contrarian?... An entire hockey ops that interviewed 10 candidates. You feel you are in a better position to choose a candidate eh. Over 2000 NHL games played between them... Then we can listen to multiple sources that played for them and actually trust their opinion. to the point where were willing to give the person a chance. Again people that know way more hockey than you do. Are not falling in line in what you think is correct makes people contrarians. haha ok!

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
To be this confident about a coach that you really dont know much about is next level stuff. Because someone trusts someone, that knows way more about hockey than you do, is now a contrarian?... An entire hockey ops that interviewed 10 candidates. You feel you are in a better position to choose a candidate eh. Over 2000 NHL games played between them... Then we can listen to multiple sources that played for them and actually trust their opinion. to the point where were willing to give the person a chance. Again people that know way more hockey than you do. Are not falling in line in what you think is correct makes people contrarians. haha ok!
And nobody is even in here praising the hire. A handful of people are suggesting that we maybe pump the brakes on the histrionics and assume until proven otherwise that Staios and Andlauer are reasonably intelligent decision makers.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It’s like the Sens players went through puberty last season. They started the year bright eyed and happy kids and ended the season as morose teenagers looking for direction.

Sens went 12-8 to finish the season and those last 20 games when they said they were finding their identity is a .600% and would put is 6th in the Eastern Conference ahead of Tampa.

If Green can just do that and continue what Martin started, we are going to be a playoff team. Green can easily do that.

Chin up Sens nation - lots of good has already happened Sens aren’t as bad as we think we are.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
How did the choice even come down to Green or Berube? There were a number of guys out there with good coaching resumes to choose from. Just because Berube’s price is reportedly astronomical doesn’t mean the choice was binary this whole time.

Also, why did they have so many conversations with the guy before talking about salary expectations. Have an initial conversation with him and then ask his agent…”hey, we’d love to continue talking to Craig and think he’d be a great fit for the next step we’re taking. Can you ballpark his ask on dollars and term?” How do you have multiple conversations with a guy, in-depth interviews and don’t know what he wants for salary or term???

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
DJ Smith was making 1.5 this past year
Okay ...

But where'd you get the $2 million - $ 2.5 million figures from , do you have a source or is that pure speculation??

** If it's speculation ... it's a good reason for Ottawa Media to actually find out and ask the question of how much he makes. & let the fans decide for themselves if the Organization is shopping in the bargain bin section again

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I would have rather stuck with Martin. Green does not inspire me in any way, shape or form.

That was NEVER going to happen, and we all knew that when Martin was brought it, with a predetermined shelf life of only the final 57 games of the season, back in December last year.

Everyone said Martin was never going to be considered a candidate forthe next head coach, our rookie GM said that, and Martin said that…… he was a substitute teacher, and everyone knew that.

I may have brought up this point before, but they should done whatever it took to bring in someone, either as the new head coach, or an interim coach that would have been in the mix for the next head coach, depending on how the final 57 games (and playoffs?) transpired.

But our rookie gm decided to write off the final 57 games, and sent the players back to an extended training camp, so they would be ready for the next unknown head coach, come training camp later this year.

This is “Best in Class”?

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Okay ...

But where'd you get the $2 million - $ 2.5 million figures from , do you have a source or is that pure speculation??

** If it's speculation ... it's a good reason for Ottawa Media to actually find out and ask the question of how much he makes. & let the fans decide for themselves if the Organization is shopping in the bargain bin section again

1715169939768.jpeg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How did the choice even come down to Green or Berube? There were a number of guys out there with good coaching resumes to choose from. Just because Berube’s price is reportedly astronomical doesn’t mean the choice was binary this whole time.

Also, why did they have so many conversations with the guy before talking about salary expectations. Have an initial conversation with him and then ask his agent…”hey, we’d love to continue talking to Craig and think he’d be a great fit for the next step we’re taking. Can you ballpark his ask on dollars and term?” How do you have multiple conversations with a guy, in-depth interviews and don’t know what he wants for salary or term???
Well, it probably came down to their list of finalists because those are the guys who they felt were the best fits

I know it's hard for fans to understand, but maybe based on all the interviews and whatever other research and deliberations they made, the team just liked Green better than guys like McLellan, Julien, Evanson, ect.

Because you're right, it wasn't a binary choice, and we had a well respected option in Julien publicly stating he was interested. So we can either believe the team chose Green because they liked him, or we can imagine all sorts of scandalous reasons why the team didn't hire someone the fans would have preferred.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Okay ...

You gonna cancel your 5 game pack in the nose bleeds if you deem the number isn't appropriate? What's your breaking point? 2.5 million? 3? Eh what's gonna make you pull your 300 dollar investment in the team? Was 950,000,000 not enough or too much when you make your decision to switch from Heineken to Labatt Blue beer this season so you could go to the games?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That was NEVER going to happen, and we all knew that when Martin was brought it, with a predetermined shelf life of only the final 57 games of the season, back in December last year.

Everyone said Martin was never going to be considered a candidate forthe next head coach, our rookie GM said that, and Martin said that…… he was a substitute teacher, and everyone knew that.

I may have brought up this point before, but they should done whatever it took to bring in someone, either as the new head coach, or an interim coach that would have been in the mix for the next head coach, depending on how the final 57 games (and playoffs?) transpired.

But our rookie gm decided to write off the final 57 games, and sent the players back to an extended training camp, so they would be ready for the next unknown head coach, come training camp later this year.

This is “Best in Class”?
10 out of 10 troll job. Some of your best work! I love how much you comment on this board with how little you actually follow the team. Shows a real commitment to the craft. Keep it up! I'm sure you have managed to gas light quite a few people.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
You'll have to tell us when he found the formula previously. The WHL? He had better perform. It's as simple as that. If we miss the playoffs next season, I'll be cheering for Vancouver the season after.

Sure he better perform, just like our players.
Clean slate here for me, not going to spend the next 4 months shitting on something that hasn’t happened yet.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I’m really curios who will be the assistants, these are as critical as the head coach. I want a former D as one of the choices. Jay McKee would be great.

It's already been speculated that Nolan Baumgartner might be one of them. Former journeyman defenceman with 143 NHL games under his belt. Coached under Green in Utica and Vancouver when he was the bench boss in those spots. Spent the last couple years as an assistant on the Jets farm team.

Name brand wise I'd probably prefer McKee, but I'm not to pretend like I'm I know much of anything about assistant coaches. It would be awkward given he is a former head coach here, but a Boucher type would be an interesting X's and O's option to bring alongside Green. I don't know if Gruden fits the bill in that regard.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Funny how the Leafs drive the conversation in other markets. Seeger talking about Travis Green being a “development coach” and not a “closer coach” because Toronto is looking for a “closer coach” because Keefe so they translate that to Travis Green and other markets.

stupid conversation. Never heard these expressions before. Toronto just makes up its own scenarios and puts it league wide

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
It's not contrarian to at least wait and see how the team does.

I get it, the cry babies didn't get their first choice wah wah. Ultimately, we don't get a say in the decisions. Staios is our GM for better or worse. He makes the call. I am going to trust that he has done his homework and hired someone who he thinks will help.

What I am not going to do is cry on a message board about it.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Funny how the Leafs drive the conversation in other markets. Seeger talking about Travis Green being a “development coach” and not a “closer coach” because Toronto is looking for a “closer coach” because Keefe so they translate that to Travis Green and other markets.

stupid conversation. Never heard these expressions before. Toronto just makes up its own scenarios and puts it league wide

Is Seeger supposed to be Dreger?

"Closer coach" is absolutely a thing and if you have been a Sens fans long enough to remember the teams struggles against the Leafs in the playoffs under Jacques it was brought up a lot. Guys like Mike Keenan were brought up more often than they should have been as someone who could get the team over the hump.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
10 out of 10 troll job. Some of your best work! I love how much you comment on this board with how little you actually follow the team. Shows a real commitment to the craft. Keep it up! I'm sure you have managed to gas light quite a few people.

What is wrong in my reply?

I’m really curios who will be the assistants, these are as critical as the head coach. I want a former D as one of the choices. Jay McKee would be great.
1715174309006.jpeg

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Keep in mind that coach candidates need to consider whether they'll have success here or not. Their record is their CV. How many Ottawa Senators head coaches went on to head coaching jobs afterwards?

Now, it might be a chicken-or-the-egg scenario, we are a small market so we don't tend to hire coaches with as much talent.

But if I were Berube, I would certainly ask for the Senators to make it worth my while before I tied myself to what might be a losing cause.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad