Speculation: Traverse City Tournament

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
F--Kaapo Kakko, Vitali Kravtsov, Jake Elmer, Patrick Newell, Nick Jones, Ryan Dmowski (?), Zerter-Gossage (?) usually there's a guy or two or three who have played a year in the AHL maybe someone like Ville Meskanen--though probably not Gettinger or Ronning who have been to 3 or 4 of these already.

D--Adam Fox, Yegor Rykov, Tarmo Reunanen, Matthew Robertson, Joey Keane, Nico Gross--possibly Lindgren or Hajek. I doubt Day--again he's played in this tournament at least 3 times.

G--Igor Shestorykin, Adam Huska.

We should have a stud defense and goalie group with Kakko and Kravtsov leading the way on offense. After those two though the offense is probably going to be thin. I actually am wondering how Elmer and Jones are going to do though.

Guys going back to college won't be there. Guys playing in Europe won't be either--they'll already be in training for their new seasons. CHL guys will be available---we just don't have a lot of them so I'd expect a bunch of forward invitees.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This was the team last year:

Forwards: Lias Andersson, Filip Chytil, Gabriel Fontaine, Tim Gettinger, Brett Howden, Reese Johnson, Dawson Leedahl, Michael Lindqvist, Drew Melanson, Ville Meskanen, Kyle Potts, Ty Ronning, Jason Salvaggio, Jakob Stukel.
Defensemen: Brandon Crawley, Sean Day, Nico Gross, Libor Hajek, Tyson Helgesen, Joey Keane, Ryan Lindgren, Derek Pratt.
Goalies: Jeremy Brodeur, Chris Nell.

Projection for this year:

Forwards: Gabriel Fontaine, Tim Gettinger, Dawson Leedahl, Ville Meskanen, Ty Ronning, Kaapo Kakko, Vitali Kravtsov, Jacob Elmer, Patrick Newell, Ty Amonte, Michael Gildon, Nick Jones, Lewis Zerter-Gossage, Ryan Dmowski
Defensemen: Sean Day, Nico Gross, Joey Keane, Adam Fox, Tarmo Reunanen, Hunter Skinner, Matthew Robertson, Yegor Rykov.
Goalies: Igor Shesterkin, Adam Huska.

We have too few forwards (too many in NCAA or Europe) and too many dmen. I had to leave off Crawley, Lindgren and Hajek, but that group still looks solid. The rest of the forwards will be some combination of guys on AHL contracts and invitees from development camp.

We are absolutely better in goal and on defense. Offensively we aren't deep, but Kakko and Kravtsov should dominate.

Reactions: bernmeister

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
excited to see who we send...maybe we won't finish last this year

I don't think day goes...not sure the eligibility rules but I think there is a limit to how many years a guy can go.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Do chytil Andersson and howden qualify for this tournament? If so I think they should play.

Technically it doesn't do anything for them but I think the organization could use a good showing after several horrible ones.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Do chytil Andersson and howden qualify for this tournament? If so I think they should play.

Technically it doesn't do anything for them but I think the organization could use a good showing after several horrible ones.

I don't think the organization cares about having a good showing for the team as a whole...obviously individual performances matter alot. and I don't think those 3 would benefit anything from going and dominating at this tourney other than a confidence boost.

only reason i'd consider it is if you are planning for 1 of them to center kakko/krava and want them to play together to hopefully develop chemistry

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

Only value in this tournament as I see it is from what each individual takes and gains from it. If Lias and Chytil have nothing left to gain, the injury risk is not worth 'having a good showing' to save face for the organization in a little known prospects tournament.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I wouldn't send anyone with significant NHL experience.

Lets not become the Devils.

Reactions: haveandare

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Jones and Elmer will run roughshod over this tourney. Those two along with kakko Kravtsov and I’d think Newell would be there should all help make this team pretty dangerous up front.

The D and shesterkin playing if he does should be stacked.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not sure if Chytil or Andersson will be eligible. Actually I'm not too sure about eligibility at all but I can't remember anyone who has played a second year as a pro (in North America) playing in the tournament.

Last year's team we had 5 guys with one year in the NHL/AHL/ECHL--Andersson (really about half a year--the other half in the SHL), Chytil, Fontaine, Leedahl and Crawley. Now they all have two years.

Day, Gettinger and Ronning have all played in three Traverse tournaments. Makes me wonder whether the Rangers will play any of them in a 4th tournament.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Kakko and Kravtsov don't go. They normally don't send players who have nothing to prove there and dont want them getting hurt before training camp when they will likely make the Rangers.

Reactions: romba

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

No.

And again, Ranger's dont send players with nothing to prove. Those 3 are proven NHLers and won't go.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
This was the team last year:

Forwards: Lias Andersson, Filip Chytil, Gabriel Fontaine, Tim Gettinger, Brett Howden, Reese Johnson, Dawson Leedahl, Michael Lindqvist, Drew Melanson, Ville Meskanen, Kyle Potts, Ty Ronning, Jason Salvaggio, Jakob Stukel.
Defensemen: Brandon Crawley, Sean Day, Nico Gross, Libor Hajek, Tyson Helgesen, Joey Keane, Ryan Lindgren, Derek Pratt.
Goalies: Jeremy Brodeur, Chris Nell.

Projection for this year:

Forwards: Gabriel Fontaine, Tim Gettinger, Dawson Leedahl, Ville Meskanen, Ty Ronning, Kaapo Kakko, Vitali Kravtsov, Jacob Elmer, Patrick Newell, Ty Amonte, Michael Gildon, Nick Jones, Lewis Zerter-Gossage, Ryan Dmowski
Defensemen: Sean Day, Nico Gross, Joey Keane, Adam Fox, Tarmo Reunanen, Hunter Skinner, Matthew Robertson, Yegor Rykov.
Goalies: Igor Shesterkin, Adam Huska.

We have too few forwards (too many in NCAA or Europe) and too many dmen. I had to leave off Crawley, Lindgren and Hajek, but that group still looks solid. The rest of the forwards will be some combination of guys on AHL contracts and invitees from development camp.

We are absolutely better in goal and on defense. Offensively we aren't deep, but Kakko and Kravtsov should dominate.

I dont believe there is any precedent of sending 6 guys with full years of pro experience ( you list 5F, Day)
That's a lot for NYR IIRC
Maybe I am wrong

Also Leedahl as a skater w 2 years pro already, seems very rare, if ever, for NYR, but he's played few games, so maybe

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I dont believe there is any precedent of sending 6 guys with full years of pro experience ( you list 5F, Day)
That's a lot for NYR IIRC
Maybe I am wrong

Also Leedahl as a skater w 2 years pro already, seems very rare, if ever, for NYR, but he's played few games, so maybe

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the eligibility rules were for the tournament, and didn't feel like looking them up. Maybe Day isn't there and one of Hajek/Lindgren is there instead.

On the forwards, there might be a lot of invites. So many of our free agent prospects are either in Europe or NCAA.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Only value in this tournament as I see it is from what each individual takes and gains from it. If Lias and Chytil have nothing left to gain, the injury risk is not worth 'having a good showing' to save face for the organization in a little known prospects tournament.

Eh, if you look at those rosters it seems the tournament is the only chance some of those kids get to show what they can do to competitors outside their organization.

Having skilled peers keeps the top 6 players and bottom 6 players in their respective roles vs equal competition for reason of proper evaluation.

Having a top line of Meskanen, Ronning, Ledahal getting their butts kicked in by Svechnikov, Necas, X isn't going to be a good environment to pick out a possible hidden gem that gets an invite to Pro preseason camp.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah, I wasn't sure what the eligibility rules were for the tournament, and didn't feel like looking them up. Maybe Day isn't there and one of Hajek/Lindgren is there instead.

On the forwards, there might be a lot of invites. So many of our free agent prospects are either in Europe or NCAA.
I think the rule is something like you can only bring two players with a full season or more of pro experience. I think the Devils brought Chad Wiseman at age 28 one year.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I think the rule is something like you can only bring two players with a full season or more of pro experience. I think the Devils brought Chad Wiseman at age 28 one year.
Lmao can’t imagine Chad was thrilled about that but a potential job is a job I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00