Prospect Info: Traverse City Roster

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Thank you! Everything about his skating is remarkable. Has to have the speed to get wide, but the edge work and balance to cut in and get a good scoring chance. He’s very fun to watch.

He’s got a good shot, but can he finish against NHL goalies in tight? We know he can capitalize on mistakes where other teams miss him and he ends up wide open, but... on breakaways like that you’ve gotta be able to finish the chance you create. He ate OHL goaltenders alive doing that cross-crease move, but NHL goalies aren’t going to give him that opportunity without him being able to exploit the five hole or getting tricky another way. He can’t just tuck it in anymore in the pros, will he adapt? I think he can, like Fabbri did, but we’ll have to see him do it in San Antonio first imo.

Reactions: The Note in MI

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
He’s got a good shot, but can he finish against NHL goalies in tight? We know he can capitalize on mistakes where other teams miss him and he ends up wide open, but... on breakaways like that you’ve gotta be able to finish the chance you create. He ate OHL goaltenders alive doing that cross-crease move, but NHL goalies aren’t going to give him that opportunity without him being able to exploit the five hole or getting tricky another way. He can’t just tuck it in anymore in the pros, will he adapt? I think he can, like Fabbri did, but we’ll have to see him do it in San Antonio first imo.

At this point, none of that concerns me with Kyrou. It's all about his complete game and his ability to be effective against NHLers without getting manhandled. Who is a swift skater with good hands and creativity who struggles to produce in the NHL? Some guys like that have good shots and others don't, but players who tick all three of those boxes find a way to get it done - as long as they have the mental and physical intensity to hang.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
At this point, none of that concerns me with Kyrou. It's all about his complete game and his ability to be effective against NHLers without getting manhandled. Who is a swift skater with good hands and creativity who struggles to produce in the NHL? Some guys like that have good shots and others don't, but players who tick all three of those boxes find a way to get it done - as long as they have the mental and physical intensity to hang.

Well that is a bit of an unfair question. The guys with speed, hands and creativity who fail to figure out how to capitalize on those assets don't stay in the NHL. So it is a biased sample size to look at NHLers only. But to try to find some, I pulled a scouting report of Yakupov and he was described as explosive, creative, dynamic and with soft/excellent hands. Then Paajarvi's report I see speed in abundance and a creativity or two. No soft hands, but plenty praise his playmaking skills.

From an Edmonton Journal article about MPS being drafted, quoting Hockey Future's scouting report: "“Pääjärvi Svensson is a very speedy and skilled winger. His acceleration is top notch and what really characterizes his game is the way he drives to the net. In full speed, he gets around the opposing defenseman with ease and usually gets the puck on the net with a quick wrist-shot. Offensively, he is also blessed with above average hockey sense, nice technical skills and the ability to set up his teammates with passes. He is a creative player with smarts that usually scores quite spectacular goals and does things that are hard for the defensemen to read."

Now I don't know if Kyrou will become one of them. I tend to agree with you that he could make his offense translate and we need to worry about the other areas of his game. I see Gagner as the more worrisome comparable, a guy who has proven he can produce points in the NHL but is such a liability he can't find ice time. Still, there is always a risk a prospect's skills in juniors won't translate.. My point is that scouting reports (even those from our own viewings) against junior competition do not always translate to the NHL. What is creative in the OHL/Sweedish league, suddenly becomes bone-headed in the NHL as it just doesn't work, such as Paajarvi's wide rush turning into constant wrap-arounds when he no longer has the space to cut in like he did in juniors..

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
No one really knows if Kyrou's game will translate. It looks great right now, but we'll have to see through training camp and if he can make a splash a la Fabbri. With so many forwards already vying for spots, it's hard for me to see, as much as I want to admittedly, him making the team. It almost feels like Thomas is guaranteed a spot unless he truly struggles, which I don't foresee. However, I think Kryou would benefit most by playing with guys like Schenn and Schwartz who can shelter him a bit but also be good mentors for the other parts of his game. During training camp, I'd like to see him get a shot with some of the top 6 from the Blues and just see how he can fit in because to me, it's all about putting him in the right position to succeed. If he doesn't gel right away, or playing against NHL competition looks like too much, you send him to the AHL for some seasoning and let him develop a bit more. I still see him being on the Blues by season's end, whether due to injury or he just made it too hard to keep him down in the A.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I think the AHL is the best place for Kyrou, outside of him having an absolute phenomenal camp. He needs to experience playing against better older players, injuries are going to happen in the big club. That is when he will likely get his chance. I agree with other about him being an ideal linemate to Schwartz and Schenn, they demand a high tempo player on their line due to their attack style. Kyrou fits the speed part and those 2 will force him to bring it night in and night out. But in order for that to happen, he needs to learn and feel how to play at that level, that place to learn is best suited in San Antonio. Seeing him on a line with Stevens on the LW and Sanford at center will be a great starting point.

Reactions: Celtic Note

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Well that is a bit of an unfair question. The guys with speed, hands and creativity who fail to figure out how to capitalize on those assets don't stay in the NHL. So it is a biased sample size to look at NHLers only. But to try to find some, I pulled a scouting report of Yakupov and he was described as explosive, creative, dynamic and with soft/excellent hands. Then Paajarvi's report I see speed in abundance and a creativity or two. No soft hands, but plenty praise his playmaking skills.

From an Edmonton Journal article about MPS being drafted, quoting Hockey Future's scouting report: "“Pääjärvi Svensson is a very speedy and skilled winger. His acceleration is top notch and what really characterizes his game is the way he drives to the net. In full speed, he gets around the opposing defenseman with ease and usually gets the puck on the net with a quick wrist-shot. Offensively, he is also blessed with above average hockey sense, nice technical skills and the ability to set up his teammates with passes. He is a creative player with smarts that usually scores quite spectacular goals and does things that are hard for the defensemen to read."

Now I don't know if Kyrou will become one of them. I tend to agree with you that he could make his offense translate and we need to worry about the other areas of his game. I see Gagner as the more worrisome comparable, a guy who has proven he can produce points in the NHL but is such a liability he can't find ice time. Still, there is always a risk a prospect's skills in juniors won't translate.. My point is that scouting reports (even those from our own viewings) against junior competition do not always translate to the NHL. What is creative in the OHL/Sweedish league, suddenly becomes bone-headed in the NHL as it just doesn't work, such as Paajarvi's wide rush turning into constant wrap-arounds when he no longer has the space to cut in like he did in juniors..

I wasn't grilling you, it was a rhetorical question in the context of the sentences that came before and after it. The point is that I don't question his speed or moves or ability to produce points because if he doesn't make it, it won't be due to failing in those areas.

However, for Paajarvi, LOTS of people questioned his finishing ability. There were plenty of signs that his hands, shooting, and lack of success around the net were factors he'd have to overcome, not assets.
Perhaps I'm wrong that Kyrou's hands and creativity are on a higher level so I should have such a concern, but, at this point, I don't.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think it goes beyond skill, skating, and creativity. I think a lot can be attributed to hockey sense. I don't know how Kyrou ranks with hockey sense, but I do agree a lot of players with high skill have failed to make the NHL. However, I also think it depends on development, luck, and track record.

I think Oilers rushed Yak and Paajarvi. Sometimes team have to rush high picks to the NHL to do lack of fully developed players and the kids have to cut corners to play in the NHL instead of developing at a certain pace - basically if you are just trying to survive, you don't grow. I think it is good to have a year to dominate the competition and then move up. Detroit in their 2 decades of dominance did this with their players when they were dominant. AHL will be great for Kyrou and really would have benefited Thompson for the entire year.

I am a big fan of slow development.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I don’t have much concern about Kyrou’s offensive skills translating to the NHL. Sure, he’ll need to adapt but the skill is there, in spades.

Why I don’t think Kyrou is NHL ready yet is his play away from the puck. He’s still a near train wreck in his defensive play, back checking, aggressiveness, etc. And can he physically hang with NHLers? I’m not sure yet. I don’t have a huge concern about these things long-term but I think they will be why he doesn’t make the team out of camp this season. The AHL is the best place for him for now IMO.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

CHICAGO GAME IS UP WOO

Great! Only game I wasn't able to catch live!

It can't be said enough, but thanks again for all your effort putting these games online! Not only for the Non-Americans amongst us, but it's also nice to be able to watch these games in a couple of years and see if we were right who would make it or not. :)

Reactions: The Note in MI

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Video will be at this link when it is done. Shows less than two hours so keep an eye on it.

Just getting around to watching most of these games, thanks again to The Note in MI for the uploads!

If anyone wants to see Thomas (36) completely tool Necas (88), skip to around 10:15...wins face off then his puck protection + edge work along the boards has Necas spinning in circles. :nod:

EDIT: I will edit this post with more reactions as the game progresses.

- 12:15 CAR goal...Fitz should've had, but Tucker (75) had horrible coverage. He tried to step up a bit in the neutral zone but didn't have the skating/hustle to make it back and cover for Noel when he also stepped up at the blueline. Tucker's man end up all alone in the slot with the puck on his stick. All around poor defensive play, but particularly poor by Tucker IMO.

- 13:50...very effective shift by Musil on the forecheck. Disrupted 3-4 plays in the o-zone in less than a minute.

- 16:35 CAR PP goal...faceoff win by Musil but Bourque fails to clear. CAR gets set up and completes a nice passing play. STL PK looks pretty lost, lot of chasing out of position. Fitz probably should have had better rebound control.

- 21:00...poor defensive coverage by Walman leads to a juicy chance in the slot for CAR. Nice stop by Fitz.

- 22:55...Tucker easily beat wide leading to a dangerous chance. I knew the knock on him was his skating, but yikes that was awful.

- 23:48...big whiff on a pass leads to a dangerous turnover and Bourque taking a dumb tripping penalty. STL PK looks much better and is able to kill it off.

- 26:40...nice rush by Walman called offside but looked good to me. That kid has legit wheels.

- 28:00...nice rush by Bokk, but wish he would get the puck deep or hard around the boards there instead of throwing it back to the point. Not a bad play necessarily, but it would probably work better on larger ice.

- 29:20...STL PP looks excellent but cannot finish on multiple chances.

- 32:50...end of 1st Period. Random thought: Reinke sure does love the J-Bouw shot pass.

Have some actual work to do today (lol) but will update with further time stamped reactions later.

Last edited:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Thanks for this. This is the game I missed. I'll check it out this weekend. That seems like a big time sink to post just for the few of us on here. So much appreciated.
For most games I can watch on my iPad and record at the same time, so it’s not bad. Fsgo makes me use the Mac but I can just let it sit so it’s really not a time suck or I wouldn’t do it haha.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
For most games I can watch on my iPad and record at the same time, so it’s not bad. Fsgo makes me use the Mac but I can just let it sit so it’s really not a time suck or I wouldn’t do it haha.
Still, very much appreciated.

If folks are interested, I can post more in detail about the Carolina game. If not, here are some cliff notes:

- Walman had some nice rushes and a couple seriously highlight reel plays. He clearly has legit NHL tools (particularly his skating, but also his shot). Remains to be seen if he has the tool box to put it all together tho (hockey IQ, compete level, attitude, etc). Prone to dumb plays and lapses in coverage in the d-zone, but the upside is legit.

- Mikkola also had a couple really nice rushes where he carried the puck or joined the rush. Good defensively, but was not as strong as I thought he might be. Definitely physical but needs to add strength. Similar to Walman in a way, Mikkola has legit NHL tools (particularly his skating and defensive play) but different in that it's not his attitude or IQ I question, rather his offensive upside.The Finn lacks finish. ;)

- Kostin had a couple really nice passes and threw some solid hits. He did well anchoring a line primarily with a young/inexperienced Bokk and a rotating cast of centers not named Thomas. All things considered I actually really liked his game.

- Foley had a couple noticeable plays including a great scoring chance he helped set up with a nice pass to Poganski and followed it up with a fantastic drive to the net. Liked what he did with the opportunities he got, generated some nice chances for himself.

- Tucker's skating was horrible. Huge liability, was completely over matched by some players' speed. Good hitter and alright defensively, but a complete liability at the opposing blue line and in the neutral zone. If the other team had possession and was attacking with speed, Tucker was completely f***ed.

- Bourque has primarily been billed as a shut down defensive guy IIRC. Considering that's what I remember hearing about him, I was very underwhelmed by his defense. He got totally out muscled along the boards and in front of the crease several times, leading pretty directly to at least 1 CAR goal. Also handled the puck like a grenade and gave up a couple bad turnovers.

- Reinke was very solid, if unspectacular. He seems to really love that J-Bouw shot-pass...

Reactions: Dbrownss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad