Prospect Info: Traverse City - 2017

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Unfortunately no replays. I missed game one. Spent an hour trying to find bootleg or other avenues and no dice.

Here's to hoping the preseason games are streamed.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
It would be nice to know the tourney's standings points structure. The Blues will finish the tourney with a 3-1 record while teams finishing ahead of them in the standings will have 2-2 records (after they lose in tonight's games). Brilliant. Not that important but this bush league stuff makes me irritable and you can tell Jax wasn't happy about it in his post game comments.

Thompson was dominant again but IMO still needs to get his full coordination going and improve his stamina before he's ready for an NHL spot. But that's still pretty damn impressive considering that no-one had a good handle on what his development curve was prior to this tourney. A remaining question is, what is his ceiling? Is it Bergy 2.0 or a poor man's Getzlaf?

Thomas will be a gem when he gets to the big club. Blues need guys who can play at a very high level with speed like he can. Very nice pick.

So glad the tourney was broadcast, albeit minimally, this year. I was lucky enough to catch all the games.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
It would be nice to know the tourney's standings points structure. The Blues will finish the tourney with a 3-1 record while teams finishing ahead of them in the standings will have 2-2 records (after they lose in tonight's games). Brilliant. Not that important but this bush league stuff makes me irritable and you can tell Jax wasn't happy about it in his post game comments.

Thompson was dominant again but IMO still needs to get his full coordination going and improve his stamina before he's ready for an NHL spot. But that's still pretty damn impressive considering that no-one had a good handle on what his development curve was prior to this tourney. A remaining question is, what is his ceiling? Is it Bergy 2.0 or a poor man's Getzlaf?

Thomas will be a gem when he gets to the big club. Blues need guys who can play at a very high level with speed like he can. Very nice pick.

So glad the tourney was broadcast, albeit minimally, this year. I was lucky enough to catch all the games.

I think Thompson has better hands, and he seems to have more of a motor than the bergy we know. Plus I think he has a better shot. If he amounts to anything near Getzlaf then we have ourselves a gem for sure. He certainly can skate well for 6'5". Have to see if he can get that playmaking part of his game, which I think is least likely to happen.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Maybe a bit lower version of Neal for Thompson?

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
TT has a great shot like Neal but I think has better stick handling and defense, which gives him an outside shot at becoming an NHL centerman. Like Ky said, his playmaking isn't elite, so Malkin he is not, but he certainly has 2RW or 3C potential, at the least. If he can improve his skating nimbleness, he'll be a monster.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Kinda surprised Kyrou didnt stand out more. I only saw parts of the 2nd game but based on this entire thread he didnt have much 'wow'.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Kinda surprised Kyrou didnt stand out more. I only saw parts of the 2nd game but based on this entire thread he didnt have much 'wow'.

I only saw a couple games, but he had nice flashes. He was often noticeable, but was just inconsistent and tried to do a little too much at times. Not in a selfish or exceptionally bad way, but his game appears to be pretty unrefined.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Its the size+shot+hands that make me think of Getzlaf too. Just playstyle and size comparison. Id happily take half a Getzlaf in Thompson

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI

Kyrou got dumped into the boards in the early stages of game 3 and didn't return he also was scratched for the final game. No word on if he's injured or they were following precautions.

Ultimately he definitely didn't wow in his time on the ice but he did have some nice plays and showed his quickness a few times.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How did Mikkola played last night and what about is there anything good with Sergeev? Shame that guy has fall.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

His set up of Vannelli for the GW-OT-G against Dallas was an NHL move. Did a great job of drawing coverage and sent a perfect pass to a wide open playing moving up the slot. Good finish but an exceptionally good setup. Assuming he wasn't banged up too bad in the third game, he'll do just fine in main camp. There is still a lot to like there.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Yeah Kyrou was outshined by others at this tourney but I would say he was far from a disappointment. I would put him in the 2nd tier with players like Kostin and Musil and Toropchenko.

In case you were wondering.. The top tier was Walman, Thompson and Thomas.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
How was Kaspick? Interesting to see some positive mentions of Bourque. What did you see that caught your attention?

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Through yesterday, Kostin, Thomas, and Necas were the only 18 year olds in the tournament with at least 5 points. It's so hard to separate yourself from the pack in a 4-game tournament, and it's obviously a very small sample size and everything, but I'd say Necas is pretty good company for those two to be in. Most of the other top scorers in this tourney so far are 20+, so for Thomas and Kostin to be holding their own (and looking great in the process) against older competition bodes well.

I remember in the draft thread that a lot of people were advocating using both of our firsts to move up and take a player like Necas or Suzuki, but I think our approach worked out about as well as it possibly could have. To have two 18 year olds performing at this level is something to be really excited about, imo.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
How was Kaspick? Interesting to see some positive mentions of Bourque. What did you see that caught your attention?

Bourque was as advertised. Smooth skating, good breakouts, threw his weight around a little, kept the puck out of danger under pressure for the most part. Kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot, but everything else seems to be in a good spot.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
How did Mikkola played last night and what about is there anything good with Sergeev? Shame that guy has fall.

I'm not sure if he got injured or what, but Sergeev hasn't played since the first game.

Mikkola looked solid again yesterday, his skating is very reminiscent of Parayko. He's a tough guy to beat his own zone.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Through yesterday, Kostin, Thomas, and Necas were the only 18 year olds in the tournament with at least 5 points. It's so hard to separate yourself from the pack in a 4-game tournament, and it's obviously a very small sample size and everything, but I'd say Necas is pretty good company for those two to be in. Most of the other top scorers in this tourney so far are 20+, so for Thomas and Kostin to be holding their own (and looking great in the process) against older competition bodes well.

I remember in the draft thread that a lot of people were advocating using both of our firsts to move up and take a player like Necas or Suzuki, but I think our approach worked out about as well as it possibly could have. To have two 18 year olds performing at this level is something to be really excited about, imo.
The drafting was slightly muddier given the trades but I'll take Schenn, Thomas and Kostin over a single higher pick. Did we ever find out who the Blues were targeting higher up?

After watching Thomas....i think this kid is going to be Fabbri 2.0 in NHL readiness.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

After watching Thomas....i think this kid is going to be Fabbri 2.0 in NHL readiness.

I think he definitely has NHL skill, but I'm not sure he's physically ready. By contrast, Fabbri had a legitimate shot to make the team out of camp in 2014, but I don't see anyway Thomas isn't sent back to London unless he has a near-McDavid-like impact during the pre-season games.

I look for him to go back to the OHL and put up big numbers, and show what he has at the pro level in the AHL after his junior season is over. Depending on how his year progresses, I could definitely see him making the team in 2018 out of camp.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The drafting was slightly muddier given the trades but I'll take Schenn, Thomas and Kostin over a single higher pick. Did we ever find out who the Blues were targeting higher up?

I'm not even sure we ever found out for sure that we were trying to move up. I definitely could have seen us going after Rasmussen or Suzuki, and I'm sure we would have been thrilled to get Vilardi at 11. The way picks 14-19 fell went almost perfectly for us though. That run of 5 straight defensemen followed by San Jose taking Norris (thank god) dropped Thomas right in our laps. And then the stuff at the end of the round was just shrewd maneuvering. I absolutely agree, I'll take Schenn, Kostin, and Thomas over any of those early-teens players by themselves.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I think he definitely has NHL skill, but I'm not sure he's physically ready. By contrast, Fabbri had a legitimate shot to make the team out of camp in 2014, but I don't see anyway Thomas isn't sent back to London unless he has a near-McDavid-like impact during the pre-season games.

I look for him to go back to the OHL and put up big numbers, and show what he has at the pro level in the AHL after his junior season is over. Depending on how his year progresses, I could definitely see him making the team in 2018 out of camp.

Did fabbri not spend a year in Guelph after being drafted? Then he came into camp DY+1 in 15/16 and made the team. Correct.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis

It was somebody that went higher than expected. I'm thinking it was Lias Andersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad