Prospect Info: Traverse City - 2017

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I'm starting to think there's a good chance Thompson makes the team this year. At the very least, there will be some fierce competition at training camp. A lot of 3rd line guys going to be fighting over limited spots.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Thompson has been beast mode this tournament. Still tries to do too much at times but honestly that be said of nearly everyone in this tournament.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I'm starting to think there's a good chance Thompson makes the team this year. At the very least, there will be some fierce competition at training camp. A lot of 3rd line guys going to be fighting over limited spots.

He kills penalties, that puts a notch in his belt that Bennett doesn't have. I could see it too, but several things would need to fall into place. I think it will be close. I'd prefer that he be the guy in the minors, buuuuut that might not even be an option right now so who knows really.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Only reason to keep him up would be if he can fill in as the 2nd line center. Other then that, I would rather have him playing top line minutes in every situation in the AHL vs. playing a third line role. Let him learn to dominate and play key minutes like Barb did last year.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
He kills penalties, that puts a notch in his belt that Bennett doesn't have. I could see it too, but several things would need to fall into place. I think it will be close. I'd prefer that he be the guy in the minors, buuuuut that might not even be an option right now so who knows really.

If Thompson makes the Blues, I highly doubt he'll ever be on the PK.

I'm honestly not seeing how people think Thompson can make the team out of training camp. His shot is NHL caliber, no doubt about that. But the other aspects of his game need a lot more work. His balance still looks awkward, he tries to finesse way too much in the neutral zone, and he hasn't been a dominating presence along the boards. He's performing well at Traverse City, and full credit to him on that, but it's a prospects tournament. Thompson struggled to get anything done in his short stint with the Wolves at the end of last season. I'd like to see Thompson in some preseason games before I even consider him as an option at 3RW.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I might be the only one but seeing Thompson is like watching Bergie when he was young. Possession heavy player with a great shot.

Nice job Helt.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
5-1 as the Blues are starting to run away with this one. Thomas made some real slick moves into the offensive zone and put one off the crossbar, before getting another chance on a tick tack toe from Thompson.

Thompson and Toropchenko have shown off their speed this period. Thompson took some long strong strides on a backcheck on the PK, and Toropchenko beat out two players to the puck on an icing call (old NHL rules it wouldn't have been a call).

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Due to quirky scoring the Blues will finish "5th" while having the same record as the teams ahead of them....and scoring 20 goals in 4 games lol...

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
That was a good one! Not a bad way to go out. Fitz looked better today, but still needs to calm the heck down in there. He flails too much and it takes him out of position.

Thompson looked great, he's very dangerous in space. I think he's fine along the boards, it's hard to get much going as far as team chemistry goes in tournaments like these, so knowing where your teammates are going to be is a little trickier. But I thought he was good at generating chances regardless. Good on the PK, excellent on the PP. His shot is wicked.

Thomas is just a slippery little guy. His puck control is phenomenal. His shot impressed me today too, so hopefully we see more of that this year in London.

Kostin looked fine, you could tell that 4 games in 5 days was wearing on him. But the skills are there. Once he gets the timing down again, I like what we've got in him. We'll need to be patient with him though; and thankfully we can afford to given how the other guys are developing right now.

Mikkola and Bourque looked smooth out there, I was impressed with both of them.

Walman is just a beast. I've never seen anybody make a forechecker bite so hard just to waltz around him and be three strides gone by the time he knows what has happened. His shot is Parayko quality. He's speedy, so even when he makes mistakes he's quick enough to get back and recover the puck. The downside, is that he does make mistakes, and no small amount of them. His ability to hold the puck in the offensive zone at the blue line will need a lot of work. We can help him develop that, and when we do, I'm very excited about what we've got in Walman.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Looking at Pointstreak.com Thompson so far with the most points since James Neal who also had 9 in 2008. Bergie had 10 points in 2007.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad