Travel to Pittsburgh

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
We're getting excited as our game is coming up on NYE! :)

Can someone fill me in as to when the arena opens before a game? I was hoping to get the kids down to the lower level to see them practice but I wasn't sure what time they let everyone in?

One thing I noticed is that they don't let you stand by the glass and watch. Bar the odd kid stood with a sign everyone is sat in their seat. Kinda boring compared to other rinks. I'm sure if you ask they will let you take a photo etc of your kid (s) down by the glass.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
One thing I noticed is that they don't let you stand by the glass and watch. Bar the odd kid stood with a sign everyone is sat in their seat. Kinda boring compared to other rinks. I'm sure if you ask they will let you take a photo etc of your kid (s) down by the glass.

Well, you certainly were treated with a 3 game, goal bonanza. A 3-0 trip and plenty of exciting memories to take home. Good stuff.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not sure if this is in the right place so sorry in advance if it is wrong. I'm visiting for 3 games next week (Dallas - Detroit - Ottawa) and it will be my first time in Pittsburgh so I would appreciate some help with a few things.

Where do people go for a few drinks before the game?
What is the weather currently like there right now?
Is it worth taking a trip out to the practice facility?
Any "must do" things whilst I'm there?

Thanks for any help :)

Lucky you. You got 3 pretty good entertaining game sand most importantly wins!!!

I can't wait to plan and take my first trip to Pittsburgh, one day!

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
As I've just said on the PGT, it has been a great trip. Picked 3 excellent games. Cost me some $$$ but it was worth it and I'll most certainly be back

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The incline, with kids, would probably be a kick ass thing. Such an underrated part of Pittsburgh. I've lived here my entire life (other than school at OSU) and I still just can't get enough of going through the Fort Pitt tunnels and seeing the city out of nowhere. It's breathtaking.

What is kind of cool is that they have a very similar incline in Quebec City. Given the connection that the Pens have had with that province since their inception really, it is very appropriate I think.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Going to the game against the Sabres on March 5th. Its the charity bag night, has anyone gone on that night before? How quickly do the bags sell out in the building? Do I need to get there super early?

I don't ever recall them selling out super quickly. I usually get to my seat with a few minutes to spare before puck drop and they still have bags left. If you want to be absolutely sure you can get one it probably wouldn't hurt to go early though.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Heading to Pittsburgh tomorrow and going to the game on Sunday.. Looking for things to do..

We've been a few times and we're looking for new things to do and new places to eat.
We've been to the Warhol museum and ate at Primanti Brothers, as well as a restaurant that used to be an old mechanics garage (I forget the name)

We plan to ride the incline, but have basically 2 days to kill.

We're staying at the Renaissance and we'll have transportation (though if we don't have to drive that anywhere that would be ideal) if that helps

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Heading to Pittsburgh tomorrow and going to the game on Sunday.. Looking for things to do..

We've been a few times and we're looking for new things to do and new places to eat.
We've been to the Warhol museum and ate at Primanti Brothers, as well as a restaurant that used to be an old mechanics garage (I forget the name)

We're staying at the Renaissance and we'll have transportation (though if we don't have to drive that anywhere that would be ideal) if that helps

I would recommend:

Option #1: Check out the Strip District http://stripdistrictneighbors.com/

- Lots of little places to grab a bite. Gaucho is ranked in the top 10 of places you have to eat in 2016 according to Yelp. And that was for all of the USA. http://eatgaucho.com/ Lines can be ridiculous. Best times to eat are 11-12 or 2:00-5:00.

- The Heinz History Center is at the beginning of the strip. It's a pretty kick ass place. When I last went, last year, they had a whole Pittsburgh sports thing with tons of Lemieux game worn stuff. It's actually still there according to their website. Heinz History Center to Gaucho is like a 10 minute walk. Just one street up and a few blocks. Very safe.

Option #2: Check out Mt Washington

Mostly just so you can ride the incline up and then check out the view. There are some good restaurants up there, but I would recommend going downtown into Option 3 for food. Pittsburgh = foodie nation right now. https://www.visitpittsburgh.com/about-pittsburgh/neighborhoods/mt-washington/

Option #3: Cultural District

My favorite restaurants in Pittsburgh. Proper (brick oven pizza joint), Meat & Potatoes, Sienna Mercato (has a 3rd floor beautiful bar with an overlook).

Honestly it's my favorite part of the city. What I would do is get reservations at Meat and Potatoes or Proper, then after go to Sienna Mercato (all walkable) and go up to floor #3 to sit down, have a beverage, and take it in.

This is Sienna's Beer Garden. You can have a drink (even non-alcoholic if you aren't a drinker) and either sit at the bar, walk around, or whatever. Not really a formal seated atmosphere.

Sienna-Day-047.jpg

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

I agree with what ColePens said. But if you want a sandwich, go to Fatheads in the South Side. Giant, delicious sandwiches and award winning beer. Also home to the 5th best sandwich in the nation according to some magazine. Make sure you reserve a spot through the NoWait app, otherwise you'll be waiting in line for an hour.

I want to second the suggestions for Gaucho and Sienna Mercato roof top. Also, Sonoma grill which is on the same block as Sienna Mercato, but a bit pricey.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I would recommend:

Option #1: Check out the Strip District http://stripdistrictneighbors.com/

- Lots of little places to grab a bite. Gaucho is ranked in the top 10 of places you have to eat in 2016 according to Yelp. And that was for all of the USA. http://eatgaucho.com/ Lines can be ridiculous. Best times to eat are 11-12 or 2:00-5:00.

- The Heinz History Center is at the beginning of the strip. It's a pretty kick ass place. When I last went, last year, they had a whole Pittsburgh sports thing with tons of Lemieux game worn stuff. It's actually still there according to their website. Heinz History Center to Gaucho is like a 10 minute walk. Just one street up and a few blocks. Very safe.

Option #2: Check out Mt Washington

Mostly just so you can ride the incline up and then check out the view. There are some good restaurants up there, but I would recommend going downtown into Option 3 for food. Pittsburgh = foodie nation right now. https://www.visitpittsburgh.com/about-pittsburgh/neighborhoods/mt-washington/

Option #3: Cultural District

My favorite restaurants in Pittsburgh. Proper (brick oven pizza joint), Meat & Potatoes, Sienna Mercato (has a 3rd floor beautiful bar with an overlook).

Honestly it's my favorite part of the city. What I would do is get reservations at Meat and Potatoes or Proper, then after go to Sienna Mercato (all walkable) and go up to floor #3 to sit down, have a beverage, and take it in.

This is Sienna's Beer Garden. You can have a drink (even non-alcoholic if you aren't a drinker) and either sit at the bar, walk around, or whatever. Not really a formal seated atmosphere.

Sienna-Day-047.jpg

I agree with what ColePens said. But if you want a sandwich, go to Fatheads in the South Side. Giant, delicious sandwiches and award winning beer. Also home to the 5th best sandwich in the nation according to some magazine. Make sure you reserve a spot through the NoWait app, otherwise you'll be waiting in line for an hour.

I want to second the suggestions for Gaucho and Sienna Mercato roof top. Also, Sonoma grill which is on the same block as Sienna Mercato, but a bit pricey.

Thanks guys, extremely helpful!
I should've also mentioned that neither of us drink and are vegetarians :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Even if I didn't drink, i'd still go to Sienna's rooftop beer garden. Just a lovely place to sit and have a beverage. Even if it's water.

As for Vegetarians, I feel Pittsburgh does a great job with offering meals. Meat & Potatoes would be something you may want to skip, though. :laugh: Check out the websites though.

Btw - http://www.veganpittsburgh.org/

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
If you liked the Warhol museum, you'll really like the Mattress Factory. Cool art there. Also could possibly be walking distance depending on how far you want to walk

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I second what Randy said about apteka. I am not a vegan/vegetarian nor do i like that food, but people rave about it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

For Fathead, I would add that waiting isn't a huge deal if you like beer and don't mind standing. They have a ton of different beers that you can keep yourself occupied while you wait. But it gets crowded near the bar itself so its not the most comfortable option. As for food, Fatheads has the best burgers in town imo.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I went on Trip Adviser to look up the ten best Vegetarian Restaurants in Pittsburgh and it is an odd list.

Istanbul Sofra as number one? Monterey Bay Fish Grotto as second?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g53449-zfz10665-Pittsburgh_Pennsylvania.html

I mean they are good restaurants on that list but I have no clue how they thought of them as Vegetarian.

That said, I have not eaten meat since high school, but do eat fish and there is not a restaurant that I have been to, including Meat and Potatoes that Cole mentioned, where I could not find something. It depends on how strict you are about that. If no cheese, etc etc then things can get to be a bit limited. If you are not that strict then my experience has been just go to a well respected restaurant and you can still find a lot of great options.

That said, they do have a lot of Vegetarian options at Franktuary in Lawrenceville. Not fancy but a fun place in an up and coming neighborhood. Even Vegitarian Poutine.

348s.jpg

https://franktuary.com/menus/menu-lawrenceville/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad