Travel Thread

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
I am going to Tehran, Iran for work in June. I am actually kind of excited. Not really nervous because I will have guides/handlers with me at all times.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Bump this thread.

Looking for off the beaten path European trips. I am running out of ideas as I've done just about as much as I can. Most recently was Latvia, Estonia and Arctic Circle, Finland.

Any tips appreciated.

Blackmon

Mullet
Jun 23, 2018
Cambridge Bay, NU
Going to Boston in May, and can't wait to get there. Driving straight to Bar Harbour for a few days as soon as we land, then heading down to see Salem, then spending 3 days in Boston before heading back to Edmonton for a week, then going to Iqaluit for a week, Cape Dorset for a week, and finally home after that.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Anyone been to Ethiopia?

I’ll be there and Tanzania in May for work, but am traveling around Ethiopia for a week after. We’re still ironing out our itinerary (doing the Northern route) and id love some recommendations. Seems nobody can agree on what the best things to do in Ethiopia are.

Last edited:

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Anyone been to Ethiopia?

I’ll be there and Tanzania in May for work, but am traveling around Ethiopia for a week after. We’re still ironing out our itinerary (doing the Northern route) and id love to recommendations. Seems nobody can agree on what the best things to do in Ethiopia are.

Try the local cuisine:

Dirt
Bugs

Reactions: Urblock

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Anyone been to Ethiopia?

I’ll be there and Tanzania in May for work, but am traveling around Ethiopia for a week after. We’re still ironing out our itinerary (doing the Northern route) and id love some recommendations. Seems nobody can agree on what the best things to do in Ethiopia are.

What's your itinerary in Tanzania?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
What's your itinerary in Tanzania?

Not very exciting. I’m there for work - spending the weekend in Zanzibar (stoked) for fun and then I have meetings in Dar all week.

Ethiopia is where I’m taking extended time off after my project. Ive ironed out an itinerary, but information is pretty spotty for a lot of the spots online. Don’t know how feasible the logistics of my trip are.

Reactions: Roman Fell

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Anyone been to Tijuana Mexico? Is it as corrupt or dangerous as people like to say it is? I'd like to visit, but would also like not to be beheaded or hassled by cops for money.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Anyone been to Tijuana Mexico? Is it as corrupt or dangerous as people like to say it is? I'd like to visit, but would also like not to be beheaded or hassled by cops for money.
Yes, getting hassled by cops for money is still very common. Especially if you are in your own car and they see USA plates.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
My wife & I are making our first visit to The Maritimes in May, 12 days built around the Memorial Cup tourney events in Halifax. Still have some serious daily excursion planning to do in the next month, but we're really looking forward to seeing whatever we can squeeze in.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Not very exciting. I’m there for work - spending the weekend in Zanzibar (stoked) for fun and then I have meetings in Dar all week.

Ethiopia is where I’m taking extended time off after my project. Ive ironed out an itinerary, but information is pretty spotty for a lot of the spots online. Don’t know how feasible the logistics of my trip are.

Zanzibar is a crazy place (in a good way). I felt safe walking around Stone Town, but you'll be hassled by touts. Definitely check out the Forodhani evening fish market and don't be afraid to haggle.

I've never been into lounging on the beach, but time permitting, see if you can visit one of the resorts on the eastern side of the island. Pristine white sand beaches, and a complete change of pace compared to Stone Town.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Zanzibar is a crazy place (in a good way). I felt safe walking around Stone Town, but you'll be hassled by touts. Definitely check out the Forodhani evening fish market and don't be afraid to haggle.

I've never been into lounging on the beach, but time permitting, see if you can visit one of the resorts on the eastern side of the island. Pristine white sand beaches, and a complete change of pace compared to Stone Town.

Thanks for the tips!

I’m very excited, Stone Town has been on my bucket list for a long time. Very prepared to be hassled endlessly.

Did you take the ferry to the island? I plan on taking it and have been reading mixed reviews. Unfortunately I’ll be lugging around a big piece of luggage with suits and two weeks worth of clothes, so am hoping it’s not too chaotic.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the tips!

I’m very excited, Stone Town has been on my bucket list for a long time. Very prepared to be hassled endlessly.

Did you take the ferry to the island? I plan on taking it and have been reading mixed reviews. Unfortunately I’ll be lugging around a big piece of luggage with suits and two weeks worth of clothes, so am hoping it’s not too chaotic.

I didn't - I flew to and from the island. I can't comment on the ferry. I'm sure that if you keep an eye on your bags you'll be fine.

Fongule

Aug 12, 2013
Durbanville, South Africa
Ive traveled to every state in the east coast for work and think I’m fancy, until I can here haha. Besides the Caribbean’s, Canada, and my home country of South Africa I’ve only been to Argentina and Italy, really would like to see Australia and Sweden

Gash

Apr 13, 2019
I agree with you so much about travel. Think it is something that everyone must experience at one point in their lives. It opens you up to so much more with experiences, people, culture, and much more. Thanks for sharing your views and congrats on leaving the hustle lifestyle. I plan to visit Greece. What the best / cheapest way to travel in Greece? Has anyone used Athens Taxi before?

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So. Originally I was going to to to Austria and Czech republic for 10 days--but with the Pound taking a beating my cost was going up and up. I looked at how much it was going to cost me for those ten days and went to myself "I can go somewhere warmer"--So I rebooked for south east asia for 28 days for how much that trip was going to cost me

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
I love Italy and Spain the most. Right now I'm planning my trip to Valencia, Spain. It's gonna be awesome trip, I want to visit all local destinations and legendary stadium Mestalla (I'm a football fan). I've already checked all info about things to do on worldstadia.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad