Travel Thread

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Never understood why people do that. I mean, you have a ticket which means you have a ****ing seat on the plane.

pretty much what Herbstreit said, people are crazy for overhead bin space now that most airlines charge you to check a bag. my last few flights have been on Southwest and overhead bin space has been plentiful. I'd say the other airlines need to wise up and at least give passengers ONE checked bag for free but let's face it, they're not giving up the BILLIONS they're raking in with these fees.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
pretty much what Herbstreit said, people are crazy for overhead bin space now that most airlines charge you to check a bag. my last few flights have been on Southwest and overhead bin space has been plentiful. I'd say the other airlines need to wise up and at least give passengers ONE checked bag for free but let's face it, they're not giving up the BILLIONS they're raking in with these fees.
Sure, but there are size limits for carry-on so it really shouldn't matter either way?

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Just booked 12 days in Greece in August! I know it's hot as shit but I didn't expect it to be so cheap so I don't care. It's for a honeymoon and I have never been before, so I don't mind doing a bit of a "greatest hits" tour. My plan was to fly into Athens and ferry down to Santorini and Crete before taking a tiny flight back up to Athens, but if anything is underrated and reachable please let me know!

Reactions: G F O P

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Been a while since I've posted here.

Did a quick trip last fall to Karlovy Vary, Czcech Republic. Beautiful city I will return to...only had a day and a half there.

8-5-768x576.jpg

Also got to fly the inaugural Airbus A350 flight on Delta. No standby travel for this one...I booked a seat when the route was first announced to travel in Delta's new Suites. A fantastic experience.

09B6E6CF-DFE9-4F21-BAE9-3A2465C60000-576x1024.jpeg

In December, Delta retired their 747's...the last US Airline to fly them. Delta did 4 farewell flights for employees, and I was lucky enough to get one of the seats. We flew Detroit-Paine Field-Seattle. We got to get up close and personal with the plane, and my friend snapped this photo.

1.jpg

Reactions: TheDanceOfMaternity

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Hey all, just finding this thread after a few years on the forums and all. I am an American and a consultant that travels 7 months out of the year. I am currently in the UK after spending a few weeks in Jordan and other middle Eastern countries and the last 3 days in Spain. Last year I flew ~312,000 miles and am flying Friday to the Zurich and then off to the Middle East for a few weeks.

I digress, I love talking AV and comparing notes on planes and best business class seats and using points. Was wondering however if anyone had any experience flying the business class on Royal Jordanian in their 787? I haven't flown it other than short hops and while I am not huge on Sky Team but I sort of want to give it a shot.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Never understood why people do that. I mean, you have a ticket which means you have a ****ing seat on the plane.

A few weeks ago i flew to Sweden and avoided the rush to board so I was one of the last to board. All I had was my carry on back pack. When I got to my seat the over head luggage rack was full. Stewedes told me I would need to check my bag. When I asked the guys in my row if it was their bags they a said no. The bags belonged to someone 10 rows away.

Too make a long story short they took his bags to the hold because he had 3 fair sized bags. Seen it happen a few times to others where they had to check their bags due to over head racks being full.

That is the only reason I can think people queue up so quickly

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
A few weeks ago i flew to Sweden and avoided the rush to board so I was one of the last to board. All I had was my carry on back pack. When I got to my seat the over head luggage rack was full. Stewedes told me I would need to check my bag. When I asked the guys in my row if it was their bags they a said no. The bags belonged to someone 10 rows away.

Too make a long story short they took his bags to the hold because he had 3 fair sized bags. Seen it happen a few times to others where they had to check their bags due to over head racks being full.

That is the only reason I can think people queue up so quickly

It's sad this needs to be policed, but I really wish it was. Nothing more frustrating than seeing someone toss their bang in an overhead bin and then walk 15-20 more rows deep to their seat. I normally get on the plane pretty early too, and still see this when you know the bins back there haven't even been touched yet. I mean FFS, why??????

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Going to have fun next week

Next monday I start in Bath at 7am head into London for a 11 am meeting at noon I catch the train to Liverpool spend the night and next day there then at 6 pm I grab a train to Bristol and the back to bath

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Going to have fun next week

Next monday I start in Bath at 7am head into London for a 11 am meeting at noon I catch the train to Liverpool spend the night and next day there then at 6 pm I grab a train to Bristol and the back to bath

How is Bristol for a day trip? The lady and I are always trying to find some new places to go from London.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Looks like I'm doing a week in Morocco in a couple weeks.

Fly into Fes via Paris, 2 nights there before taking a train to Marrakech. Then doing a 3 day Sahara tour including stargazing, before returning to Marrakech.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Figured as I would bump this as my big few months of travel are coming up.

- End of May: will be in Uganda for work and then will be crossing into DR Congo to hike Mt Nyiragongo. Little nervous for the second part but got to do it while I’m over there — I blew it last year not going when I was in Rwanda

- July: London for work, then will be going with some coworkers to Norway and Copenhagen

- September: 2 weeks in Sri Lanka. 9 of us have signed up for a 10-day tuk tuk race around the southern half of the island

Should be a good summer.

Sep 19, 2008
Figured as I would bump this as my big few months of travel are coming up.

- End of May: will be in Uganda for work and then will be crossing into DR Congo to hike Mt Nyiragongo. Little nervous for the second part but got to do it while I’m over there — I blew it last year not going when I was in Rwanda

- July: London for work, then will be going with some coworkers to Norway and Copenhagen

- September: 2 weeks in Sri Lanka. 9 of us have signed up for a 10-day tuk tuk race around the southern half of the island

Should be a good summer.

We had about a 5 minute wait at Customs in Newark on Thursday night and I kept thinking about your claim about a 3 hour wait at TSA to get into the airport and I kept thinking how full of crap your story was :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008
Paris is so beautiful. (Sometimes it's pretty dirty though)

If you go to Egypt try not to spend to much time on the Sinai. Pretty dangerous for tourists right now.

Paris is nice. Didn't see no museums though but we did a lot of walking.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
How is Bristol for a day trip? The lady and I are always trying to find some new places to go from London.

It has a good zoo, if you're in to zoos. Clifton suspension bridge is nice. Nice waterside area of old warehouse-turned-shops/restaurants. There are a few museums and a so-so cathedral. If you like name-dropping things, you can walk about and find Banksy pieces around the city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad