Travel Thread [Football, Tickets, Sightseeing, Etc.]

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Apologies if I’m wrong, but aren’t you from Romania? From my time in Bucharest, everything would seem expensive in comparison.
Yeah, I'm originally from there but I've been spending the last 10+ years in Barcelona, which is not exactly cheap. 20 euros for a cocktail was the average price in Stockholm's clubs, more than half the average price in Barcelona.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Yeah, I'm originally from there but I've been spending the last 10+ years in Barcelona, which is not exactly cheap. 20 euros for a cocktail was the average price in Stockholm's clubs, more than half the average price in Barcelona.

They should arrest them and throw the key away.

Reactions: luiginb

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Also has anyone ever been to Iceland?
I know some people who went there and loved it, but it seems you need to be more of nature person than a city type of person. I hear the trip is extremely cheap and it could be cheaper already living in Europe if you fly their airlines.

E: Just researched that Icelandic Air is offering plane tickets to London from USA for like 400 bucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Would love to see everyone’s “Best Of” list, where if you had to pick one city per country where that would be.

Australia: Gold Coast / Fremantle
Belguim: Bruges
Canada: Jasper (I also love Edmonton but I do have very close friends there)
France: Paris
Mexico: Playa Del Carmen
Netherlands: Amsterdam
New Zealand: Auckland
Portugal: Lagos
Singapore: Singapore
South Africa: Cape Town
Spain: Madrid
Sweden: Gothenburg
UK: York
USA: New Orleans / Chicago

Wow, that is awesome. I always wonder about the European-based posters that are HF boards Soccer, what got you into hockey? and what got you on HF?

My Grandad used to play cards with the local hockey team, and i've been going to games in the UK since I was about 6 years old, NHL was a natural progression as it became more accessible with steaming DVR etc. No idea how i found this place though

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Only thing I found to be overly expensive in Sweden was the alcohol. It’s not Norway or Denmark expensive otherwise.

I found it more expensive than Barcelona but not that much. Barcelona is a very expensive city for locals, but it is what it is.

As for nightlife, I really enjoyed Vilnius. Great atmosphere and very friendly people. Women are beautiful there.

Reactions: maclean

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yeah isn't Scandinavia in general also really expensive?
Also has anyone ever been to Iceland?
Astonishingly beautiful/unique place, but the entire country is one giant tourist trap, as far as money goes. They get you with the cheap flights and then you get absolutely throttled trying to exist while you're there.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Working for an airline, I've been able to travel to Europe quite a bit...not all football specific but here's my favorite places in each country I've been:

Ireland - Dublin's cool, but you gotta drive the countryside and head west to the Cliffs of Moher, Cork, etc.

Scotland - Glasgow's great, and of course Rangers and Celtic are in town.

England - London is massive and cool, but in my opinion a bit overrated. I've driven out west a bit...Weston-Super-Mare is a cool beach town, not far from Bristol which I really enjoyed. I've also been down to Portsmouth a handful of times for Pompey matches. Fratton Park's old, but has charm.

Spain - I didn't get to explore Madrid too much, but enjoyed what time I Had there. I used it as a base and explored Zaragosa (beautiful city) and Toldeo. Haven't been to Basque country or Catalan yet.

France - Paris lives up to the hype. Parc des Princes is a cool stadium but it's so damn far from the heart of Paris. Thankfully the metro is great. Also get north to Normandy if you can. Incredibly powerful and moving.

Belgium - I've just done Brussels. It's a neat city, but I was a bit underwhelmed compared to other locations I've been. Great food though.

Netherlands - Amsterdam's one of my favorite cities in the world. Super easy to get to the city from the airport, and getting around is a piece of cake, including to Johan Cruyff Arena.

Germany - Frankfurt is boring IMO...but Munich is spectacular. Hofbrauhaus is great. Everyone wants to go to Oktoberfest, but the Cgristkindlmarkts are so much fun. Nueremburg is also a cool destination not far from Munich.

Switzerland - The Alps are beautiful! Didn't explore Zurich at all, but I drove from there to Liechtenstein, and then spent time in Lucerne and Basel. It's an expensive country, but one of my favorites.

Italy - My favorite country in the world. Rome, Venice, Florence, all stunning. I also spent a bit of time in Milan, but didn't really enjoy it too much. Lake Como isn't too far however, and worth the drive if you're in the area.

Austria - I haven't been to Vienna, but really enjoyed the day trip I took to Salzburg.

Czechia - Similar to Austria, I haven't explored Prague, but spent time in the western part of the country in Karlovy Vary, a cool spa town.

Slovenia - Ljubljana is a hidden gem. Quiet, beautiful, full of history. Lake Bled isn't far away either and is beautiful all year.

Croatia - Split is cool, but most people will head to Dubrovnik. It was a main filming location for Game of Thrones, which has increased its visibility.

Bosnia and Herzegovina - I only spent a day here, but Mostar is a wonderful ancient city. The roads are terrible, and sadly there is still plenty of ruins from the Yugoslav war.

Montenegro - The drive along the Adriatic is stunning. I only explored Kotor but really enjoyed it. Tivat and Podgorica are supposed to be great as well.

Ukraine - Sadly I think won't happen for most people for a while. Which is too bad, because Kyiv is absolutely spectacular. A bit tougher to get around but the city is so cool. I also took a day trip to Chernobyl from Kyiv, which may be my favorite thing I've ever done.

Russia - Went to Moscow for the 2018 World Cup. I wish I had gone to St. Petersburg as well, but we only had time for one match at the Luzhniki (Spain v Russia). Red Square is cool, and for the World Cup it was a Fan Zone and full of people from all over the world.

Reactions: S E P H

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Parc des Princes is one of the only big stadiums INSIDE the heart of a capital so that was a weird comment to make. It's intra muros. Maybe you went to Stade de France ? :dunno:
Agreed on Zaragoza. Wonderful city, I loved it.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
France - Paris lives up to the hype. Parc des Princes is a cool stadium but it's so damn far from the heart of Paris.

Parc des Princes is one of the only big stadiums INSIDE the heart of a capital so that was a weird comment to make.

Yeah. Last time I went to a PSG game we parked the car at the stadium, took the metro downtown, before the game we had dinner somewhere near the Champs-Elysées and then walked back to the Parc des Princes, I think it took us about an hour so.. it's not THAT far.

Friends trip. I could recommend for a long weekend to go there, take time to spend a night partying and another day to go to Trakai.

But still tho :D who's idea was it, to go to Vilnius? Seems like a way outside the box idea in terms of city tripping.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Parc des Princes is one of the only big stadiums INSIDE the heart of a capital so that was a weird comment to make. It's intra muros. Maybe you went to Stade de France ? :dunno:

Yeah, PdP has pretty similar relative location to Chelsea's Stamford Bridge.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Hockey: Yes I’m not from Europe, but my state has never had an NHL team so I don’t really have a traditional path. I remember as a kid watching the Oilers in a Stanley Cup finals. No one else in my family watched hockey so it was just me. Then in high school we started playing street hockey with regulation size goals that we made out of two by fours and fishnet. We even used real sticks in the street. So some friends of mine and I got into hockey and we were all Wisconsin Badgers fans. We even went to the Frozen Four when it was in Milwaukee and Paul Kariya won it with Maine. Anyway, we all were watching the NHL and I always wanted to go to Montreal and Quebec and so I started following the Canadiens. Very timely too considering they won the Cup within a year or two.
London: I absolutely loved it. I think if you really wanna enjoy it by living there you probably need some money. When I lived there I went out every single day and there was always something to do or see.

Paris: Beautiful city. I need to get back someday so I can spend some more time there.

Barcelona: Like I’ve already said it’s a fantastic city. You just need to do your homework and get away from the touristy areas, no the touristy areas are worth at least seeing once.

Florence: Another lovely city but I would also like to go back again. I guess I’d like to go when Pitti is going on and I’ll make it out to the Tuscany area afterwards. I think there’s so much to see in Italy and I’d love to see the Cinque Terre and Venice.

Munich: It’s a nice city, but I’d really like to make it to Berlin. I also really wanna get to Freiburg.

Salzburg: I have fond memories of it but I don’t remember that much.

Innsbruck: I really wasn’t that impressed. Sure it’s surrounded by the mountains but the town itself didn’t really strike me as that great. I kept thinking I wish we had the option of Vienna instead.

Amsterdam: Cool city but a little bit gritty in certain spots.

Dublin: It’s fine for a weekend but we were young and stupid and made the mistake of not going to the countryside instead. When I get back someday I will probably just steer clear of Dublin altogether and spend time out in the countryside.

Montreaux: it was a nice little town but I would’ve rather have seen other parts of Switzerland. The country as a whole looks amazing.

Iceland: I’ve never been but was very close to going before the pandemic hit. I think you have to like the outdoors if you’re gonna go, though Reykjavík seems interesting to me as well. I hear it’s quite expensive.

I tend to find that if you get away from touristy areas you realize that cities have their own neighborhoods which is what makes them unique. I also like to make sure that I do some homework ahead of time. Being spontaneous is great but if you’re spending money to go somewhere I think it’s smart to have some sort of idea of what you’re gonna do when you get there.

Reactions: S E P H

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA

Nah I was at Parc Des Princes for the Women's World Cup in 2019. It was over an hour via the Metro from our hotel in Montmartre. Granted, that's a bit farther than from say, Trocadero.

It was also like 97 degrees so I don't exactly remember the day fondly... Lol.

Reactions: Evilo

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Cool thread, I'll be back with a longer post when I get some time. For now all I can say is I live in Prague and it's a great city, too many tourists obviously though so don't come. :sarcasm: Just kidding, if any of you are ever passing through let me know and we can catch a Bohemians game and/or beer off the beaten track.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Belgium - I've just done Brussels. It's a neat city, but I was a bit underwhelmed compared to other locations I've been. Great food though.
I spent a semester in Brussels studying. Fantastic place for that. There's a ton of think tanks based in Brussels so there's a ton of events all the time. Great beer. Good food. Because it's the seat of so many international organizations, there's a ton of cheap flights across Europe.

Reactions: GabeTravels

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Wasn't that impressed with Brussels. Bruges was my spot in Belgium. Loved it.

Hopped over to Breda while I was there and lost my shirt in Blackjack, but was too drunk to care.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Wasn't that impressed with Brussels. Bruges was my spot in Belgium. Loved it.

Hopped over to Breda while I was there and lost my shirt in Blackjack, but was too drunk to care.
I think Brussels is the best city in Belgium to live in but it is not that great to visit. I would say the opposite about Bruges.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Because it's the seat of so many international organizations, there's a ton of cheap flights across Europe.
Yeah I don't really understand the economics when it comes to flights, wouldn't supply and demand rise the tickets to those places instead of making them cheap?

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
This thread so Euro centric!

Favorite city I ever went to was Medellin. Though St. Petersburg is a close second. So underrated and over looked.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Favorite city I ever went to was Medellin. Though St. Petersburg is a close second. So underrated and over looked.
I'll toe the line and say Istanbul/Turkey was the most fun I've had. It had a little bit of everything, though granted this was ~2010 and it's a very different country now.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

I've been lucky in that I've traveled a ton across Europe, but outside of Europe, the only foreign countries I've been to are Israel and Palestine (which are technically in Asia but not really), Canada, and Morocco (on a day trip from Spain)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad