Travel Thread [Football, Tickets, Sightseeing, Etc.]

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going to Japan for work in May, FC Tokyo is playing while I will be there which is kind of cool. Outside of football, does anyone have general Tokyo tips and recommendations?

Reactions: GabeTravels

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Going to Japan for work in May, FC Tokyo is playing while I will be there which is kind of cool. Outside of football, does anyone have general Tokyo tips and recommendations?
I'm planning a trip to Tokyo as while and I've been watching a lot of these videos...

This is also an absolute must...

Reactions: robertmac43

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
I'm going to Germany vs Switzerland in Frankfurt. Anything must see in Frankfurt? I've read a little about the cuisine but just curious if anyone has any recs.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Anyone here from Kansas? Planning what to do on the dats before and after Canada's Copa America game in June. Doesn't seem like the most happening City lol

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Anyone here from Kansas? Planning what to do on the dats before and after Canada's Copa America game in June. Doesn't seem like the most happening City lol
What sort of things do you like to do? I'll get some suggestions together, there are some underrated areas.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not really from my experience. Dull city.
Yes. But therefore in Frankfurt the best idea is to avoid the business districts altogether. The areas surrounding it in safe distance like Bockenheim in the west, Sachsenhausen in the south, or Bornheim in the east aren't that bad for bars and restaurants etc. Close to university campuses it's often a bit more lively. Or from the stadium it's also possible to take a train to the opposite direction for example to Mainz which is a more sympathetic town. On the other hand neighboring Wiesbaden is rather for elderly rich people and therefore to avoid as well.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yes. But therefore in Frankfurt the best idea is to avoid the business districts altogether. The areas surrounding it in safe distance like Bockenheim in the west, Sachsenhausen in the south, or Bornheim in the east aren't that bad for bars and restaurants etc. Close to university campuses it's often a bit more lively. Or from the stadium it's also possible to take a train to the opposite direction for example to Mainz which is a more sympathetic town. On the other hand neighboring Wiesbaden is rather for elderly rich people and therefore to avoid as well.
Wiesbaden is rather pretty, though.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Wiesbaden is rather pretty, though.
For a quiet day out there are pleasant parks or up in the Neroberg it's lovely. The residential streets have certain flair, in part because the city wasn't completely leveled in WW2 unlike Frankfurt or also Mainz. But the nightlife tends to be too upscale, also because there's no proper university. Instead as the state capital it's home to many bureaucrats. Besides SV Wehen Wiesbaden sucks.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
For a quiet day out there are pleasant parks or up in the Neroberg it's lovely. The residential streets have certain flair, in part because the city wasn't completely leveled in WW2 unlike Frankfurt or also Mainz. But the nightlife tends to be too upscale, also because there's no proper university. Instead as the state capital it's home to many bureaucrats. Besides SV Wehen Wiesbaden sucks.
Yeah, definitely not a place for nightlife, but on a sunny day, a glass of wine atop Neroberg after riding the Nerobergbahn isn't terrible. It's also very easy to hop on a boat and cruise the Rhine and see a bunch of castles and Niederwalddenkmal and die Lorelei.

Mainz Cathedral is also pretty nice and I recall there being a printing press museum that was cooler than I anticipated.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah, definitely not a place for nightlife, but on a sunny day, a glass of wine atop Neroberg after riding the Nerobergbahn isn't terrible. It's also very easy to hop on a boat and cruise the Rhine and see a bunch of castles and Niederwalddenkmal and die Lorelei.

Mainz Cathedral is also pretty nice and I recall there being a printing press museum that was cooler than I anticipated.
Or as a budget/faster option just take a slow train (not ICE) over Mainz to Cologne or Koblenz and find a seat on the right-hand side to enjoy the river views. From Koblenz it's also possible to travel like that to Trier (oldest city in Germany) or Luxembourg along the Moselle which is just as nice. Some of the most scenic railway lines anywhere in the world these. During the season a lot of small towns along the way have wine festivals too.

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
Thanks for the info, I think I'm only there for one night. Going to be in Ireland and decided to catch a euro game. Pretty stoked

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00