Training Camp Thread | Warning Post #456 | Oilers Trim Roster Post #647

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Seabrook risky. Not only because hes older and soon to be UFA. But I have a feeling he was insulated in Chicago and not as good as people think he is. I think hes on a Petry or Sekera level in our D, and will be asking for 7+ next season

I would only offer a 1st + maybe Schultz (who I think can bounce back)
It would improve our team in the right now though without losing to much. And if he isn't as good as people think then he will get as much as Sekera.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It would be nice if the Oilers essentially had their opening night roster with 1 or 2 preseason games left rather than a couple of weeks into the regular season

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Seabrook risky. Not only because hes older and soon to be UFA. But I have a feeling he was insulated in Chicago and not as good as people think he is. I think hes on a Petry or Sekera level in our D, and will be asking for 7+ next season

I would only offer a 1st + maybe Schultz (who I think can bounce back)

I don't think he was one of the insulatees, pretty sure he is one of the insolators.

Seabrook is a very good NHL D-Man. Top 20 in the league for sure, which makes him a bonafide number one D.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If there was a deal in place for Seabrook it would have happened by now.

This is the roster we have for TC and we get to see what they are capable of!

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Eakins screwed everyone. It was a complete joke the first 2 months. I am glad I cursed him from the stands in Boston when the play was dead and he heard me. What a dirty look I got. We should never mention his name again

oiler-dude

Yeah, I think you are right. That is probably what they are looking at. I am looking as selfish self interest and seeing more of the scrimmages this year. I always like TC as I will miss it this year.

One of the media guys, I forget who, was saying on Twitter they likely chose a place like Leduc because it offers dual rinks, which means more manageable ice time for a large camp roster. It sucks for the fans, but at the end of the day it's about making the Oilers better, so we just gotta grin and bear it. ;)

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Interesting:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 21m21 minutes ago
"Leon will start playing as a forward. I can see him on a line with Anton Lander right now, both capable of taking faceoffs." Coach McLellan

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Interesting to see that McLellan has the same philosophy as Kruger with grouping forwards in pairs up front. The "pair formula" if you will. I agreed with it when Kruger implemented said practice and still believe it's a good way to initiate chemistry.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Interesting:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 21m21 minutes ago
"Leon will start playing as a forward. I can see him on a line with Anton Lander right now, both capable of taking faceoffs." Coach McLellan
I don't hate the sound of that. Gives us a lot of flexibility.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I'm thinking McLennan might be in favour of the following during the pre-season:

Hall-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Draisaitl-Lander-Purcell (the slow it down line)
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski
Klinkhammer
Gazdic

McDeathbyCheerios*

RNH and Eberle
Hall and McDavid
Draisaitl and Lander
Hendricks and Letetsu

That's the pairs I see imo

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
It would be nice if the Oilers essentially had their opening night roster with 1 or 2 preseason games left rather than a couple of weeks into the regular season

Chemistry is so important. I can't stand when they go into the last game or two with so many guys who will be cut and the lines all juggled up.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I'm thinking McLennan might be in favour of the following during the pre-season:

Hall-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Draisaitl-Lander-Purcell (the slow it down line)
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski
Klinkhammer
Gazdic

Pretty much exactly how I see things working out. But I think we may see Gazdic slot in quite a bit to punch faces if someone looks at McDavid funny for the first few weeks.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Interesting to see that McLellan has the same philosophy as Kruger with grouping forwards in pairs up front. The "pair formula" if you will. I agreed with it when Kruger implemented said practice and still believe it's a good way to initiate chemistry.
Quinn actually believed in that system as well. Unfortunately for him the only top 6 player on his roster was Penner lol.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Yeah, I think you are right. That is probably what they are looking at. I am looking as selfish self interest and seeing more of the scrimmages this year. I always like TC as I will miss it this year.

I think staffer also said they reason they go there is because it has two sheets of ice so they can have split up groups all going at the same time.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Chemistry is so important. I can't stand when they go into the last game or two with so many guys who will be cut and the lines all juggled up.

Exactly. The main lineup should basically be set going into the last 2 preseason games. I think we already know the locks:

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/McDavid/
/Lander/Yakupov
/Letestu/Hendricks

Sekera/Fayne
Klefbom/Schultz
Ference/

Talbot

The rest are up in the air (besides maybe Purcell). I expect McLellan to fill most of these empty spots by the second last preseason game. The last preseason game should be a sort of dress rehearsal for the home opener. Your lines and pairings are set but you also get the chance to do a bit of tinkering and see which players mesh best with others.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
So i tried making a depth chart.
I'm sure i got a few positions, as this is the hand people shoot according to a few different internet sources. if someone can play both dont correct me, i don't care. However if they usually play on the off wing, please correct me, but don't be a dick about it and i'll fix it.

God damn we have so many LW (forwards and D), really i only see 1 spot for grabs on the roster.

Also although it's a depth chart a lot of these players are close. Some of the AHL guys are probably better than people above them but they are AHL players on ahl contracts. Also, some players are waiver eligible which matters (like slepyshev)

Goaltenders: (6)

Cam Talbot
Ben Scrivens

Anders Nilsson
Laurent Brossoit
Ty Rimmer
Eetu Laurikainen

No goalie jobs up for grabs in the NHL team

Defencemen: (20)

Left
Andrej Sekera
Nikita Nikitin
Griffin Reinhart
Andrew Ference

----the cut line-----
Darnell Nurse
David Musil
Brad Hunt
Jordan Oesterle
Brandon Davidson
Joey LaLeggia
Dillon Simpson
Martin Gernat
Ben Betker

Right
Justin Schultz
Oscar Klefbom
Mark Fayne
Eric Gryba

---lol there aren't any other rh shots----

except here are whl elligble/loik
Ethan Bear R
Caleb Jones L
Loik Leveille R

don't really see any d spots, even nurse. I expect the Oilers to carry 8 d which leaves only 1 extra forward but who knows.

Forwards: (33)

Taylor Hall Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Jordan Eberle
Benoit Pouliot Connor McDavid Nail Yakupov
Leon Draisaitl Anton Lander Teddy Purcell
Matt Hendricks Mark Letestu ?????
????

Again the above isn't a line-up merely a depth chart ok. okay???? k, good.

i expect the oilers to take a LH player as the extra forward will it be klink or gadzic or korpi? does one of these players play on the off-wing?

LH
Rob Klinkhammer
Lauri Korpikoski
Luke Gazdic
Bogdan Yakimov
Jujhar Khaira
Ryan Hamilton

----above are competing for 1 or 2 spots--------

Kale Kessy
Mitch Moroz
Alexis Loiseau
Josh Winquist
Braden Christoffer
Marco Roy
Phil McRae
Connor Rankin

RH
Tyler Pitlick
Andrew Miller
Iiro Pakarinen

----above are competing for 1 spot----------

Anton Slepyshev
Greg Chase
Kyle Platzer
Matthew Ford
Cole Sanford

with regards to Pitlick, he is the only real waiver risk on RW and he better show up for camp. With Slepyshev waiver eligible, even if pitlick loses the job or slepyshev shines i cant really see him making it over Klink, Korpi or Gadzic. Someone will get injured and he'll get a few games maybe this year.

McDeathbyCheerios*

@Pumpkinbomb
The backup goalie position is up for grabs. It's why we traded for and signed Nilsson. To challenge Scrivens for the spot.

Also Slepy just signed his ELC... I don't think he is waiver eligible while on it

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
@Pumpkinbomb
The backup goalie position is up for grabs. It's why we traded for and signed Nilsson. To challenge Scrivens for the spot.

Also Slepy just signed his ELC... I don't think he is waiver eligible while on it

i thought about that after i posted, you're right and I hope there is a good battle, i won't edit my post i will leave my post up and hang my head in shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad