Training Camp Thread | Warning Post #456 | Oilers Trim Roster Post #647

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Seems like a pretty large camp roster even without some pro invites.

I wonder how much of a shot Yakimov has at making the Oilers.

IMO Yakimov's NHL chances (or lack thereof) will depend directly on what Lander does.

If Lander picks up where he left off last year, Yakimov is all but guaranteed to be kicked back to the AHL. However, if Lander has another one of his poor camps again then you never know, that might open the door a crack for Yak2.

He one of the most interesting prospects for me going into this camp because he's got reasonably soft hands to go along with his monster frame. Physically, he's a beast.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
What, no keeping 5 potential 7th defencemen until the final day, or not getting players into lines until the regular season?

What sorcery is this?

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Brad freaking Hunt actually on the opening day roster and played in place of Jeff Petry in the first few games?

Still can't believe we had to witness that nightmare of an administration.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think were going to see a ton of cuts very fast. This helps NHL team get chemistry and allows for AHL squad to sort out roster quicker (ton of comp down there)

I think were only going to see the following bubble players after a week in: Davidson (due to waivers), Yakimov (if hes doing well), Miller (proven in AHL, need to prove at NHL), Parakien (same reason), Nurse (If doing well), GR (Chia thinks of him as NHLer), LD

The rest: Simpson, Chase, Platzer, etc will be quick cuts unless they are very good

TM probaly wants the NHL team devleoping chemistry early on for a big start to the year. We cant afford another slow start

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I just think TM is going to take a different approach then the past. Why keep players if they arent challenging for a spot?

Mclellan has already stated he's going to pare down quick and that it would be a mistake to try to take too much time learning all the players in the Oilers system. He wants to get down with a likely starting crew fairly quickly and be able to use the exhibition season to build on familiarity, lines, systems, and play.

Eakins of cours being an idiot, had completely the different presumption, that he would meet everybody and keep them all up as long as possible. Meaning that the first 10 games of the season were played like exhibition games..

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
IMO Yakimov's NHL chances (or lack thereof) will depend directly on what Lander does.

If Lander picks up where he left off last year, Yakimov is all but guaranteed to be kicked back to the AHL. However, if Lander has another one of his poor camps again then you never know, that might open the door a crack for Yak2.

He one of the most interesting prospects for me going into this camp because he's got reasonably soft hands to go along with his monster frame. Physically, he's a beast.

IMO if Lander falters they will give him more time than just TC. Yak2 doesnt have to clear waivers and Lander does.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Mclellan has already stated he's going to pare down quick and that it would be a mistake to try to take too much time learning all the players in the Oilers system. He wants to get down with a likely starting crew fairly quickly and be able to use the exhibition season to build on familiarity, lines, systems, and play.

Eakins of cours being an idiot, had completely the different presumption, that he would meet everybody and keep them all up as long as possible. Meaning that the first 10 games of the season were played like exhibition games..

Thank god for a new coach and GM. I honestly think Mact as GM was just as bad as Eakins as coach.

Will Acton Sakic......

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Brad freaking Hunt actually on the opening day roster and played in place of Jeff Petry in the first few games?

Still can't believe we had to witness that nightmare of an administration.

Yeah, he (Eakins) scratched Petry in favor of Nurse and Hunt against the defending Cup Champ Kings. :facepalm:

I remember Petry's wife posting on twitter - something like 'we're just as confused as you are, we don't understand what's happening' - something to that degree.

Four months later we have a 2nd and 4th rounder for a Cup threat's #3 defenceman who signed long term for $5.5 million, wheras Cody Franson just signed with the bottom feeding Sabres after looking for a job all summer. Toronto got a 1st plus for him. :facepalm:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think were going to see a ton of cuts very fast. This helps NHL team get chemistry and allows for AHL squad to sort out roster quicker (ton of comp down there)

I think were only going to see the following bubble players after a week in: Davidson (due to waivers), Yakimov (if hes doing well), Miller (proven in AHL, need to prove at NHL), Parakien (same reason), Nurse (If doing well), GR (Chia thinks of him as NHLer), LD

The rest: Simpson, Chase, Platzer, etc will be quick cuts unless they are very good

TM probaly wants the NHL team devleoping chemistry early on for a big start to the year. We cant afford another slow start

Honestly if you're going to waive Davidson, try to do it fairly early on so he hopefully gets lost in the shuffle with all the early transactions.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Man I forgot about that Petry healthy scratch.

Pretty glad we got hammered in that game :laugh:

Wouldn't be too worried about losing Davidson to waivers, every team in the league will be sneaking someone like him through at some point.

mbam99

Sep 3, 2003
Red Deer
Visit site
Looks like there are a couple preseason games on TV.

September 23rd - Winnipeg - TSN 3
September 25th - Winnipeg - TSN 3
October 1st - Canucks - SN360
October 3rd - Canucks - SN

I suspect, however, that the Winnipeg games will be regional only to Winnipeg (TSN3), but then I don't know why the Oiler website would show them as on TV.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yeah, he (Eakins) scratched Petry in favor of Nurse and Hunt against the defending Cup Champ Kings. :facepalm:

I remember Petry's wife posting on twitter - something like 'we're just as confused as you are, we don't understand what's happening' - something to that degree.

Four months later we have a 2nd and 4th rounder for a Cup threat's #3 defenceman who signed long term for $5.5 million, wheras Cody Franson just signed with the bottom feeding Sabres after looking for a job all summer. Toronto got a 1st plus for him. :facepalm:
No one in the league thought Petry was good till Montreal and offensive players always have a higher trade value at deadline.

Still we ****ed that up hard

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thank god for a new coach and GM. I honestly think Mact as GM was just as bad as Eakins as coach.

Will Acton Sakic......

At some point MacT lost some of his mental faculty. Not really kidding with this. His health problems had an overall impact imo. Its hard to go through profound health problems without it impacting your mental sharpness and attention to detail. MacT got dull without realizing it.

Other thing is that MacT started to just like players, personnel, who were just like himself. That is not assessment, its biased preference.

I'll never forget his tell tale words regarding Eakins that talking to him reminded MacT of himself. That jumped out at me. Why MacT thought that was relevant is anybodies guess. One of the primary rules of interviewing is to NOT be attracted on the basis of personal preference. Which usually involves like minds attracting.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Honestly if you're going to waive Davidson, try to do it fairly early on so he hopefully gets lost in the shuffle with all the early transactions.

Yeah I dont think losing Davidson to waivers is a realistic concern. Most teams have several d-men on his level and they're unlikely to drop one of their own in his favour. Unless a team has some injury problems I doubt he gets picked up, especially not early in the season.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We sure did.

Sekera-Petry
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart/Nurse-Fayne
Gryba/Ference
Although having Petry with Nelson I doubt we get McDavid...if we could of kept Petry but he got injured for the rest of the season and still got McD...

One could dream

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We sure did.

Sekera-Petry
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart/Nurse-Fayne
Gryba/Ference

Curious what your opinion would be on Gilbert still being here instead of Schultz on the second pairing. To me I would have both Gilbert and Petry remain but this club tends not to respect the D they already got. Thus the names always changing.

lol that a team that figured Gilbert could be traded for N Schultz because Tom wasn't physical enough has Nikitin and J Schultz in the lineup. I can't parse all of that.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
I wonder what's up with the lack of veteran invites. I know money's tight but its always good to have a little more competition at training camp. Makes you wonder if they'll have their eyes on the waiver wire. There are some notable guys who might fall through the cracks over the next couple weeks.

I sure hope so. This team is in desperate need of some vets. I'd rather see it via a trade though for some higher end veteran talent.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I sure hope so. This team is in desperate need of some vets. I'd rather see it via a trade though for some higher end veteran talent.
I have a gut feeling that Chia has a trade for a vet top 4 defender in the works but he wants to see the players at camp first before he pulls the trigger.

McDeathbyCheerios*

As long as he gets rid of Nikitin while he's at it :laugh:
I have a feeling the trade is for Seabrook if he has one. Lots of talk earlier and now Chicago has a few good guys as camp invites. I feel like if Chia isn't impressed with Schultz and Chicago feels comfortable with their d, they could move Seabrook for one of our forwards and a pick. Or Seabrook for Schultz, young forward and a 2nd or 1st

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I have a feeling the trade is for Seabrook if he has one. Lots of talk earlier and now Chicago has a few good guys as camp invites. I feel like if Chia isn't impressed with Schultz and Chicago feels comfortable with their d, they could move Seabrook for one of our forwards and a pick. Or Seabrook for Schultz, young forward and a 2nd or 1st

Seabrook risky. Not only because hes older and soon to be UFA. But I have a feeling he was insulated in Chicago and not as good as people think he is. I think hes on a Petry or Sekera level in our D, and will be asking for 7+ next season

I would only offer a 1st + maybe Schultz (who I think can bounce back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad