Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Holzer had a great game, but lets not get carried away. He was brutal when he was called up.

Don't know many AHL players that can get called up and play on a top pairing though.

He was misused.

Last edited by a moderator:

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Holzer has become a much better defenseman since his last call up. He was the marlies best dman last year and carried that into the playoffs. It was a huge blow to the marlies when he got hurt in the Texas series. Spott was also commenting last year how much better his gap control has become, which was a problem his first stint with the leafs. I see him as the leafs #7 this year, especially if he keeps playing like last night

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Holzer has become a much better defenseman since his last call up. He was the marlies best dman last year and carried that into the playoffs. It was a huge blow to the marlies when he got hurt in the Texas series. Spott was also commenting last year how much better his gap control has become, which was a problem his first stint with the leafs. I see him as the leafs #7 this year, especially if he keeps playing like last night

He never was that bad either. He's not someone you play 18+ minutes in the NHL.

People remember him being bad but really, he was just badly overplayed.

He's a mobile physical defender with limited puck moving abilities but he does have a hard shot. To be honest, he's basically a slower and less experienced Polak. I always thought he should have been with the Leafs last year when they ran into some injuries.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Holzer had a great game, but lets not get carried away. He was brutal when he was called up.

Holzer is not a top 2 D and that's where he was used. It's not easy to play with Phaneuf and in 5 years only Gunnar has had any success.
If you use Holzer as intended (a 3rd pair) then I think he can be solid.
Rielly with Holzer/Granberg/Nillson gives us good 3rd pair options.
Gardiner and Polak on the 2nd pair.
Still looking for a Phaneuf partner. We need that top D.
Now is the time to move Franson.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
He never was that bad either. He's not someone you play 18+ minutes in the NHL.

People remember him being bad but really, he was just badly overplayed.

He's a mobile physical defender with limited puck moving abilities but he does have a hard shot. To be honest, he's basically a slower and less experienced Polak. I always thought he should have been with the Leafs last year when they ran into some injuries.

Agreed, anytime I saw the Marlies last year, Holzer looked very good. Bigger, stronger and faster than I remember him from the lockout season.

If he keeps up this level of play, should be given a spot out of camp as the 7th defenceman.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Whenever I saw Holzer play in the NHL, I never thought "this is a guy who looks like he doesnt belong". He has always had the tools.

He could be our 7 now. Depends on how Tallinder does

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Whenever I saw Holzer play in the NHL, I never thought "this is a guy who looks like he doesnt belong". He has always had the tools.

He could be our 7 now. Depends on how Tallinder does

Holzer will not clear waivers this time around. He will make the team even if Tallinder does as well.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Don't know many AHL players that can get called up and play on a top pairing though.

He was misused.

He was used throughout the lineup during his NHL stint, not strictly top-pair minutes. He was very underwhelming wherever he was slotted, although the entire team was underwhelming.

If he can bring that nastiness shown last night, than hell yeah.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

Korbinian was an Olympian at 21 years of age.

I'm sure there are tools there to be a very decent NHL defenceman.

His first stint can't be used against him. The guy was misused and not ready to play top minutes with Phaneuf.

That is an insane thing to say.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
He was used throughout the lineup during his NHL stint, not strictly top-pair minutes. He was very underwhelming wherever he was slotted, although the entire team was underwhelming.

If he can bring that nastiness shown last night, than hell yeah.

Korbinian stepped onto the Leafs top pairing after playing a half season with the Marlies. Most of the top offensive lines he played against at the start were just coming back from the strike, while he was in mid season form. This worked to his advantage at the start, but as players got back into their rhythm, Holzer's game started to struggle.

It became pretty obvious he was getting tired, even from playing on the third pairing became a little too fast and his confidence was shot. However, that was a season and a half ago, and I know he was a very important part of Spott's D last season, and he has obviously worked on developing his game since his last stint, so I would like to see as much of him as possible before we risk waivers again.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There was some discussion that the Leafs would only carry 1 extra forward, and carry 2 extra D and go 13/8 on the main roster.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
People can argue about Holzer's last stint with the Leafs all they want but his game has improved by leaps and bounds since then. We put an inferior Holzer on the top pairing 2 years ago and now we have a chance to have a superiour Holzer in the bottom 2. He's much stronger and his skating has improved immensely. For such a strong guy with a big mean streak he has suprisingly efficient wheels. He'll be a better/faster version of Fraser for us this year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

He was put in a position to fail. Calling up an AHL prospect who projects as a bottom pairing dman and putting him in a TOP PAIRING role is just a ridiculous idea.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

Thrust into a first pairing role with under 20 games of NHL experience. The pace of the NHL game is much higher and difficult to adjust to, as Holzer himself admitted. No one should be surprised at his poor performance. He was not put in a position to succeed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He was put in a position to fail. Calling up an AHL prospect who projects as a bottom pairing dman and putting him in a TOP PAIRING role is just a ridiculous idea.

Agreed.

I think they knew Gunnar wasn't the answer so they were trying anything hoping something would work.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We really need don't need Heeter.

Give the starts to Sparks, Gibson or Bibeau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad