News Article: Training camp ongoing. Camp discussion part 2

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Bear Goes to the AHL while Bouchard gets the 9 game tryout. I dont want Bear to sit in the PB while this happens. If Bouchard fails then he goes back to junior for the year and Bear come up to replace him.

If Bouchard does well then Bear is unfortunately odd man out purely because of his ability to play in the ahl where as Bouchard cant

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Posted this in the rumors thread but applies here as well:

Rishaug was on 1260 a little earlier and figures the top four will be

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell-one of Bear/Bouchard (one will not stay as the #7 and will be sent junior if it's Bouchard or Bako if it's Bear).

I didn't catch the end of his segment so I'm presuming Garrison gets a 1 year and stays on as #7.​

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Posted this in the rumors thread but applies here as well:

Rishaug was on 1260 a little earlier and figures the top four will be

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell-one of Bear/Bouchard (one will not stay as the #7 and will be sent junior if it's Bouchard or Bako if it's Bear).

I didn't catch the end of his segment so I'm presuming Garrison gets a 1 year and stays on as #7.​
Hoo boy, that's not a very impressive top 4. The fact that we have to play Benning in the top 4 just speaks volumes about the defense.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think it's terrible if Klefbom and Larsson bounce back. Benning is a borderline second/third pairing guy, he's probably the fifth best defenceman on most teams, but he's close and has room to develop.

Benning is getting a bad rap for the more glaring errors he makes, but I think he's pretty solid generally.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Mclellan must be catching on.

8f38f6c3-759e-477c-8336-6a1b1b3c677b_text.gif

Disclaimer: I don't hate Caggiula but he's playing his way off the team with the ink barely dry on his contract.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think it's terrible if Klefbom and Larsson bounce back. Benning is a borderline second/third pairing guy, he's probably the fifth best defenceman on most teams, but he's close and has room to develop.

Benning is getting a bad rap for the more glaring errors he makes, but I think he's pretty solid generally.
The Oilers tried Benning in the top 4 last year and he was nothing short of a disaster. He's fine as a bottom pairing guy in a limited role but if the Oilers are serious in developing this guy they need to stop playing him above his ability.

I actually like the kid but he doesn't belong in a top 4 role, especially not at the moment.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Little surprised Mcleod isn't in.

Heard on Lowetide's show him quoting TM. Something along the lines "we know that these guys have Junior camps and if we weren't actually serious about keeping them they'd be sent down".

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Hoo boy, that's not a very impressive top 4. The fact that we have to play Benning in the top 4 just speaks volumes about the defense.

Was he paired with Russell or Nurse last season? I honestly cannot recall...I've erased most of last season from memory. It seems like he was with Russell but I could be wrong. Him with Nurse might be a not bad pairing.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Heard on Lowetide's show him quoting TM. Something along the lines "we know that these guys have Junior camps and if we weren't actually serious about keeping them they'd be sent down".

I still really don't understand what's going on with McLeod, other than it just being an acknowledgement of hard work and thinking that it will motivate him to take the next year very seriously. There's no spot for him on the team, unless they think he's playing as well as Yamamoto, which I just don't see at all.

If anything the way they're setting rosters this preseason gives the appearance that Strome's spot is up for grabs, as that's the one spot that continues to rotate around (McLeod, now Khaira). But there's no way McLeod is taking Strome's spot and Strome is going to play on the fourth line.

I guess I'm just wondering what we're doing here.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Was he paired with Russell or Nurse last season? I honestly cannot recall...I've erased most of last season from memory. It seems like he was with Russell but I could be wrong. Him with Nurse might be a not bad pairing.

He played mostly with Klefbom and Sekera.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I still really don't understand what's going on with McLeod, other than it just being an acknowledgement of hard work and thinking that it will motivate him to take the next year very seriously. There's no spot for him on the team, unless they think he's playing as well as Yamamoto, which I just don't see at all.

If anything the way they're setting rosters this preseason gives the appearance that Strome's spot is up for grabs, as that's the one spot that continues to rotate around (McLeod, now Khaira). But there's no way McLeod is taking Strome's spot and Strome is going to play on the fourth line.

Strome has a minor groin injury.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013

Strome is day-to-day. And I really like the line-up!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

numbers game

even without strome the top 9 look interesting

We do not need to rush McLeod

we may break camp with Bouchard and Yamamoto--that is enough peach fuzz as is

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Wonder what Strome's injury is significant. Would be frustrating if he can't start the season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So Rieder could face being the 4th line LW if Kailer does well and Strome is healthy. Rieder-Brodziak-Kassian/Chiasson should be a very good defensive 4th line that can chip in offensively. That is what depth does to a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad