News Article: Training camp ongoing. Camp discussion part 2

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Anybody know when Sekera is able to head to the LTIR?

They have two different option, they can put him on before the season starts, or after it starts, but apparently the benefit is a bit better if they wait provided they can stay below the limit on day one which they can as the PTOs signings can be delayed until opening day (which I think is considered Wednesday).

That said, the way they calculate it is so convoluted that it's tough to figure it out so I'm not certain. Long story short, if Sekera is coming back at some point, none of it matters as they need to keep the space for when he returns. They can really only use the cap saving if they find out he's not coming back this year.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Ducks claimed Aberg

Yeah I'm not surprised we was claimed. I think Anaheim might be on the decline this year. If Kesler returns somewhat to form though and Getzlaf is still performing like a #1 C they're still probably a playoff team.

I'd imagine Aberg will be happy to be in Anaheim. Maybe he'll play harder more consistently to stay in that locale.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah I'm not surprised we was claimed. I think Anaheim might be on the decline this year. If Kesler returns somewhat to form though and Getzlaf is still performing like a #1 C they're still probably a playoff team.

I'd imagine Aberg will be happy to be in Anaheim. Maybe he'll play harder more consistently to stay in that locale.

Cory Perry is out with longterm knee injury. For most of season so Ducks would be desperate for anybody that could even look like a topsix player. I agree Ducks are declining. But they've surprised before. They are typically hard working in reg season. They usually find some way to get into post season.

Reactions: Aerrol

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
They have two different option, they can put him on before the season starts, or after it starts, but apparently the benefit is a bit better if they wait provided they can stay below the limit on day one which they can as the PTOs signings can be delayed until opening day (which I think is considered Wednesday).

That said, the way they calculate it is so convoluted that it's tough to figure it out so I'm not certain. Long story short, if Sekera is coming back at some point, none of it matters as they need to keep the space for when he returns. They can really only use the cap saving if they find out he's not coming back this year.

It is definitely more beneficial to wait until the season starts to put him on LTIR. Current cap hit + 5.5 million is the teams new cap.

That being said, they could have traded for Karlsson and thrown Sekera on during the offseason. But then a team has to do some hoop jumping to start accruing cap space again.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It is definitely more beneficial to wait until the season starts to put him on LTIR. Current cap hit + 5.5 million is the teams new cap.

That being said, they could have traded for Karlsson and thrown Sekera on during the offseason. But then a team has to do some hoop jumping to start accruing cap space again.

Not quite true. New cap is however much they go over. Right now they are about $600 under with one roster spot (Sekera's). If one of the PTOs takes the spot at NHL minimum they'd be $50K over the cap making their new cap $79.55 instead of $79.5.

The uncertainty on Sekera's return really prevents them from going much over as they'd need to shed whatever they are over to to activate him, so I'm think they are just going to ride this out staying within a $1M or so of the cap until they find out whether he will be back or not. If it's looking like he's gone for the season come February, they can use his relief for deadline reinforcements if they are in the hunt.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So the team has just gained the ability to add a couple of contracts with the departure of Jerabek and Aberg.
Thats something at least.
Would have been nice to have Aberg in the minors but it isnt a big deal to lose him.
Surprised they got something for Jerabek.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Not quite true. New cap is however much they go over. Right now they are about $600 under with one roster spot (Sekera's). If one of the PTOs takes the spot at NHL minimum they'd be $50K over the cap making their new cap $79.55 instead of $79.5.

The uncertainty on Sekera's return really prevents them from going much over as they'd need to shed whatever they are over to to activate him, so I'm think they are just going to ride this out staying within a $1M or so of the cap until they find out whether he will be back or not. If it's looking like he's gone for the season come February, they can use his relief for deadline reinforcements if they are in the hunt.
Fine. I will be more concise. Their cap limit is current cap hit + 5.5 million. Better? ;)

They can add player(s) to get to that limit at anytime during the season.

Reactions: bone

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
What about when Sekera comes off of LTIR in January/February?
If he comes off LTIR his full cap hit returns and the extra space immediately disappears.

That being said, the Oilers are accruing cap space during the year so they may be able to use that extra cap space to add him at that time. The CBA is not really clear on this point. Neither is capfriendly. I personally doubt it but it is a grey area.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I heard somewhere (might have been Stauffer) that Koskinen would play the full game in Cologne.

Hopefully that's the case. Talbot has show he's ready for the regular season to start, and Koskinen needs more time to work off the rust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad