Training Camp invitees

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
You can never have enough 26 year old minor league enforcers at your prospect campus... duhhhh

He's not even a heavyweight either. The guy would get his lunch handed to him by the real enforcers down there. Most of his fights are against guys who are under 6'2 and 200 lbs. Just a pointless player in this day and age.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Why wouldn't he? He went to Harvard.

363px-George-W-Bush.jpeg

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
You can never have enough 26 year old minor league enforcers at your prospect campus... duhhhh

Come on, guys, stop being so cynical about Kurtz. The guy had 9 points in 72 AHL games last season.
We know the Comets need scoring help, so here it is . . .

Or as Joseph Conrad said:

"Mistah Kurtz -- he dead."

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
UH OH!

Is the sky falling again here in HFboards Canucks land because a tough guy got an invite to a prospects camp?

Before you call our GM a bunch of names, pop into the prospects board, check out ALL OF THE USELESS prospects brought in by nearly every team in the league. This move is neither stupid, or out of the ordinary. It's actually...just nothing. If anything, maybe we'll see a good fight or two and move on.

Try to keep your emotions in check everybody.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Had an inkling this invite would cause a kerfuffle. Really, with a few note able exceptions, guys like this always seem to be the ones who get invited to these sorts of camps around the league. It's a bit odd.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
That's the point.

It's nothing to get all pissed off and negative towards Benning about is my point. It's the same as Gillis inviting Fedoruk to camp, etc etc etc.

It's just to give these guys a look, maybe fill in a roasted spot to give another guy a night off, maybe be a spark plug or something.

It's very, very common, not just a Canuck thing.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
It's nothing to get all pissed off and negative towards Benning about is my point. It's the same as Gillis inviting Fedoruk to camp, etc etc etc.

It's just to give these guys a look, maybe fill in a roasted spot to give another guy a night off, maybe be a spark plug or something.

It's very, very common, not just a Canuck thing.

Also, the preseason is always more physical and features more dirty play than the regular season. Having a tough guy or two around is never a bad idea.

In addition, we can probably assume Utica is at least interested in him.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
UH OH!

Is the sky falling again here in HFboards Canucks land because a tough guy got an invite to a prospects camp?

Before you call our GM a bunch of names, pop into the prospects board, check out ALL OF THE USELESS prospects brought in by nearly every team in the league. This move is neither stupid, or out of the ordinary. It's actually...just nothing. If anything, maybe we'll see a good fight or two and move on.

Try to keep your emotions in check everybody.

Kurtz isn't a prospect.

He's coming to the main camp, not the prospect camp.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Kurtz isn't a prospect.

He's coming to the main camp, not the prospect camp.

As do several vets every year that have little to no chance at making it, we need a quota of bodies for each pre-season game where we sit veterans that don't need to play.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
As do several vets every year that have little to no chance at making it, we need a quota of bodies for each pre-season game where we sit veterans that don't need to play.

I think people understand that, what they don't get is why give that opportunity to a guy with zero ability to bring anything of value to your organization rather than a guy that actually has a shot at playing the NHL and wants a look. Particularly with the way the free agent season ended up this year. There's a lot of guys that could bring more to the table than Kurtz and this team needs actual depth, not ECHL level goons.

It's an overreaction to a minor move, but it's just the latest in a long line of questionable decisions by this management team and people are on edge.

arsmaster*

Sure, but don't you think it makes sense to bring in NHL caliber players on a tryout basis, if not only to increase the quality of the camp....or is this just a good way to make the bottom of the roster players look better?

I don't really care that they're bringing a lump to tryouts, but if I'm making the calls I'd be bringing NHL quality guys like Boyes, Glencross etc to camp and let iron sharpen iron.....

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Sure, but don't you think it makes sense to bring in NHL caliber players on a tryout basis, if not only to increase the quality of the camp....or is this just a good way to make the bottom of the roster players look better?

I don't really care that they're bringing a lump to tryouts, but if I'm making the calls I'd be bringing NHL quality guys like Boyes, Glencross etc to camp and let iron sharpen iron.....

I think if the Canucks are really serious about giving one of Virtanen/Jensen/Guance/Grenier a legitimate shot of making the team, then bringing in free-agents on PTO's is not the way to go. Having a Glencross/Tlusty/Boyes in camp sends the signal that we don't think you are quite ready yet, and we are bringing in somebody we know that can play in the NHL.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

Kurtz doesn't count as a veteran. He's never played an NHL game. To qualify as a veteran, skaters must have played 30 NHL games the previous season or at least 100 NHL games.

Anyway, the requirement is that teams must dress at least 8 veterans for each pre-season game. I assume the Canucks will have 40-50 players around for the first 6 pre-season games and split the team in half. For the final 2 pre-season games, they will pare down to their opening night roster.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Also, the preseason is always more physical and features more dirty play than the regular season. Having a tough guy or two around is never a bad idea.

In addition, we can probably assume Utica is at least interested in him.

And why would that be? Archibald would be better in that role as he was a leader, can play hockey, and scored some big goals while defending his mates against cheap crap. He's also younger. Utica doesn't need an untalented goon.

arsmaster*

I think if the Canucks are really serious about giving one of Virtanen/Jensen/Guance/Grenier a legitimate shot of making the team, then bringing in free-agents on PTO's is not the way to go. Having a Glencross/Tlusty/Boyes in camp sends the signal that we don't think you are quite ready yet, and we are bringing in somebody we know that can play in the NHL.

The Canucks aren't serious about giving anyone on your list a shot other than JV.

Iron sharpens iron.

arsmaster*

Kurtz doesn't count as a veteran. He's never played an NHL game. To qualify as a veteran, skaters must have played 30 NHL games the previous season or at least 100 NHL games.

Anyway, the requirement is that teams must dress at least 8 veterans for each pre-season game. I assume the Canucks will have 40-50 players around for the first 6 pre-season games and split the team in half. For the final 2 pre-season games, they will pare down to their opening night roster.

Don't you think this idea goes against what you just quoted me on ie. not giving the kids chances.

Why not give the kids those games not some lump?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

bergenheim, wilson

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I wouldn't have any interest in the Boyes, Glencrosses, Bergenheim's as an invite. Too many wingers to begin with. Centres and defensemen or bust. Invite players that could fill an acutal need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad