Training Camp invitees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
VAN|Abols, Rodrigo|C|19|6'03|179|HK Riga|MHL|35|20|18|38|5|51|
VAN|Gardiner, Reid|C|19|5'11|188|Prince Albert|WHL|67|34|30|64|-3|44|

The player I am very interested in is Rodigo. He has played in the World Juniors and he played in the 2015 world championships. He's 6.3. 180-190 pounds.

He was playing in the MHL and was called up to Dynamo in the KHL. He has 5 points in 15 games.

Here are a few articles. Next year he will be playing for the Portland Winterhawks.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...s-latvias-rodrigo-abols-oleg-yevenko-belarus/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz3i23eerq4

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=154962

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/hawks-sign-abols-ericson

Last edited:

Based Crane

Mar 30, 2014
You can add Jonathon Martins and Jackson Whistle to the list as well. Both are also showing up on the Canucks roster on the NHL website. Both played in the young stars last year I believe.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
You can add Jonathon Martins and Jackson Whistle to the list as well. Both are also showing up on the Canucks roster on the NHL website. Both played in the young stars last year I believe.

Once again this username is simply magnificent

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Any ideas of whether Jackson Whistle is a legitimate prospect who will be playing the in ECHL next year with eventual NHL potential? Or is he just a roster filler for the Young Stars and likely playing CIS hockey?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Any ideas of whether Jackson Whistle is a legitimate prospect who will be playing the in ECHL next year with eventual NHL potential? Or is he just a roster filler for the Young Stars and likely playing CIS hockey?

To me he's filler.

Has put up good numbers behind a great WHL team but I don't think he's actually much of a prospect at all. Technically a bit of a mess and not very big.

Abols can't be signed even if he plays well because he's coming from Europe - same story as the kid in Edmonton last year.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
To me he's filler.

Has put up good numbers behind a great WHL team but I don't think he's actually much of a prospect at all. Technically a bit of a mess and not very big.

Abols can't be signed even if he plays well because he's coming from Europe - same story as the kid in Edmonton last year.

So is he eligible to be drafted again next year? He does seem intriguing for an undrafted prospect

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So is he eligible to be drafted again next year? He does seem intriguing for an undrafted prospect

Yeah you can sign undrafted 18 and 19 y/o CHL playoffs during the summer before they go back in the pool for the following draft, but not Europeans.

Abol will be eligible again in 2016 - even if he scores 25 goals in 5 prospects games, we can't sign him.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

Not compared to Demko. If Markstrom is the goalie for the next 3-5 and Demko the future, Whistle is at best a decent AHL goalie for Utica. I would think his very highest top end would be a serviceable backup. Not going to press your #1 for a spot.

If the Canucks can sign him as a UFA for AHL/ECHL salary not a bad gamble to take to see how he progresses in a pro environment.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Yeah you can sign undrafted 18 and 19 y/o CHL playoffs during the summer before they go back in the pool for the following draft, but not Europeans.

Abol will be eligible again in 2016 - even if he scores 25 goals in 5 prospects games, we can't sign him.

If he's not eligible to be signed, how can he attend a pro training camp? If he's committed to Portland, doesn't that make him eligible for free agency like any other undrafted junior prospect?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Seems like a less reliable, less physical Y. Weber, no?

he's really a cheaper and less effective version of what anton stralman was a couple years back - an effective but extremely mediocre-looking defenceman that just kind of pushes play in the right direction. his counting stats are bad but he tends to be on the right side of play and he has good synergy with basically everyone. his WOWYs are basically all positive and he would be basically free

like stralman and wiercioch and a bunch of other unimpressive looking defencemen, there's a lot of evidence that he's a #4 guy thats flying way under the vision test radar. id honestly offer him a 2-3 contract for cheap because its an easy gamble

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Woooooooooo we're getting closer to hockey! :yo:

Really nothing too exciting yet in regards to invitees. Whistle was in Camp last year but was outplayed by our other invitee Austin Lotz pretty decisively. Thought Whistle looked mediocre for a Junior which makes me wonder what kind of pro career he could have.

Reid Gardner is intriguing in that he's got a lethal shot and sometimes turned into a Top 6 NHLer on EHM 2007. I'll be interested to see what he does and how he plays. Could be our Curtis Valk this year.

Last edited:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Does anyone have any kind of timeline for prospect camp, the youngstars tourny or training camp in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad